Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't forget Brian.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shootem
Don't forget Brian.

Gotta get "Elk" in there too!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Troutboy
Dear Mr. Barsness,

Your articles no longer appearing in Wolfe Publications is not the end of the world. It just seems that way to me and, judging from this forum, a lot of other people as well.

You are one of the main reasons I read and subscribe to Handloader and the two sister magazines. I don�t know when your articles first starting appearing in Handloader or when I first became a fan, although I�m sure it had something to do with seven-millimeters. (I also recall an article in Fly Fishing The West, which I may still have, that had to do with dapping for trout.)

I looked forward to your articles as I did the late Finn Aagaard�s. They were based on experience, logic, a regard for the opposite sex, a fair dose of humor and an appreciation for the classic cartridges and the reasons they became classics. Fortunately, I (we) can still look forward to you sharing your experience and insights in other publications and the �net.

Best of luck to you,

Mark Delle

Excellent first post, plus 1 and welcome!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hard writting them but it's important to email them!

I left out a good deal of bitching about marketing these days and left as well as I could.

Send them a email.

sent to: editorriflemag.com
subject: Departure of Mr Barsness

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I have just learned that John Barsness has left your staff and I feel compelled to express my extreme disappointment. I can not describe the amount of value and trust I have in a writer that represents the facts about shooting, cartridges and hunting without bias as John does. This is very apparent in his most recent article on the 338 Fed. Vs. the 358, it's a glowing example of the honesty, and integrity of the man.

Frankly having John on your staff differentiated your publication above all others. This is a Huge loss in reader value, basically this stinks.

Subscriber,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fortunately, my drool bib can also absorb tears.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Now THAT is funny! grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Finally, some GOOD news!

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
A
A
Wow, I just found this website tonight off a google search, only to ask you a handloading question and now you are gone. That's timing for you. Is this a wolf publishing website or will you remain? Good luck in your endeavors. You are as close as it gets to a non-pompus gun writer and I hope I can still enjoy your work in the future. I finally had someone back up my beliefs on guns. Chow from way up in Canada.

Success follows preparation in equal measure
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mr. B.,
Reading your articles has always been extremely enjoyable and illustrative.
I wish you the best for the future and hope your article on he 300WBY finally comes through.
BBerg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
alevas66,
Welcome to the Campfire! This is not a Wolfe website forum and I sincerely believe JB will stay here on the campfire no matter where his articles are published....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Aren't we all getting there; I just fear wearing my "Depends" diaper.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
alevas66,
Welcome to the Campfire! This is not a Wolfe website forum and I sincerely believe JB will stay here on the campfire no matter where his articles are published....

Welcome to the Campfire; have a seat and start talking. Different opinions and ideas are always welcome, but you might need a tough skin to take the grief.

I too hope JB will stay here.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't plan on disappearing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Best of luck. You were the only reason I bought Rifle and Handloader.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"Handloads That Work", Handloader June 1996,, Still one of my all time Favorite JB articles,, much info here,, Maybe we should all share some of our favorite JB works just as a salute,, Whadda ya think?

A
A
Sweet, glad to here, as far as opions go, I have a couple.

"Debate increases ones knowledge, only if your smart enough to accept that sometimes your wrong" My grandmother.

Success follows preparation in equal measure
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We all know change is inevitable but sometimes it still stinks. I remember still how I felt when it was revealed Jack O'Connor would no longer be at Outdoor Life. Felt like my childhood had been yanked away from me. Been thinking all day about that. This situation isn't the same because, fortunately, I don't idolize JB the way I did JO'C; mostly because I'm just a skooch older than he is. Still, even though it's illogical, there's things that should just go on forever, even knowing they can't; like O'Connor at Outdoor Life and JB at Handloader, Rifle and as editor at Successful Hunter. Like many of you I had particular reasons for becoming a subscriber rather than remaining a newstand buyer. JB, Seyfried and Pearce were the primary reasons along with that grouchy old editor bringing up the rear. Some of you don't seem to care for him so I won't mention his name. Now two of those reasons are gone and the publications are slipping into the "Me too" catagory of shooting & hunting magazines. Some of the writers just aren't as talented and entertaining as others. Mike V is a great writer and extremely knowledgable about black powder & military arms. I'm just not all that interested. Not his fault, it's mine. In the case of some of the others I can't be that generous. If I were King things like this wouldn't be allowed to happen, but I'm not. Again and in a more appropriate tone I wish the best to you JB and look forward to your penmanship in other publications. I've read that good luck is preparation meeting opportunity. So most of all I wish you opportunity.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot! I just re-upped for Rifle and Handloader! MD, please know your writing in the Wolf Publications will be sorely missed by me.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in too; as being amongst those who will sorely miss MD's work. As of 7/30/08, Wolfe Publishing has lost one of their best assets. They still have some good writers but JB was, in my opinion, in the "Best of the Best" class. An outdoor writer who could span the vast gap between an average rifle looney/handloader/hunter/etc. like myself, to the world of big time outdoor writers doing the stuff that 90% of us only dream of. To JB, I will say that you obviously have legions of fans and I'm sure you will re-surface somewhere else. You keep writin' and I'll keep buyin' it. So what if it ain't in a Wolfe Magazine? Best of Luck to 'ya and thanks for all your contributions here at the "fire" also. I'm glad to hear you plan on hangin' around here. Keep up the good work and with your ability to relate to the average guy, you should continue to prosper.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'll miss your articles in the Wolfe publications, JB--you were the primary reason I kept my subscriptions alive. Please keep us up to date on where you're going to be publishing in the future.

Best of luck!

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.