-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outstanding!!!The Jeff is a great style to copy.Perfect wood for the project!Where did the pictures of the Jeff come from? I have a TD carbine in .333,I bought it from Cabelas years ago...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whats the story with the take down knob on the right side? Got pics of it broke down? The case?

oh man...you making this a take down??1!!??WTF??!!1!!!?1?!1!!1

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rifle, the pictures came off the Cabelas web site. That rifle is sitting at the FT Worth TX store. It's 100% and swings and points like it's a part of your body. I've had the pleasure of handling the rifle and it's simply amazing. So is the price, it's set at $10,000.00! After seeing the rifle I spent all weekend trying figure out how I could buy it and remain married. After two day's of thinking about it and considering if my children really needed to go college crazy I finally had to let the idea go and stick with the "pay as you go" route for a custom rifle that's worked for me so far.

Claude, no take down, but wouldn't that be cool! The picture was just to show the style stock I'm leaning towards.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard about that rifle at Ft.Worth.My carbine is not that nice after spending 50 years in Africa,I paid over 5K in 1999.So 10K is the market today.
I must say your project is one of the best I've seen in years.You seem to have picked the best craftsman for the job.I was thinking on a Ruger #1 build up after seeing one of Lon Pauls guns,but that mini-Mauser is the cat's ass....
Keep up posted!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
S
I would love to buy this one back from him and finish it out for one of my four boys but Terry won't even consider it. Good thing I'm not a fulltime maker because I don't want to let any of them go!!

Shane

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....Very pretty piece! I'd like one in 6.5 Grendel, good for deer to 300 or a bit more yards, but still super for a varmit gun as well!

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shane_Thompson
I would love to buy this one back from him and finish it out for one of my four boys but Terry won't even consider it. Good thing I'm not a fulltime maker because I don't want to let any of them go!!

Shane

Hey Shane, glad to see you here! Welcome to the campfire.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is going to cost alot of people alot of money....Damn,I gota go to work...no more pictures until tonight.....

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I left work early to go look for actions...This is bad.This is like seeing a Hot Rod being built or a woman getting dressed..

Come on America,

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rifle
I left work early to go look for actions...This is bad.This is like seeing a Hot Rod being built or a woman getting dressed..

No joke! Now I keep looking for a lefty Charles Daly Mauser!!! Anyone know where I can find one??? Oh, long action .473 boltface???

IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I've got a lefty mini mauser setting in a box, and I have had Shane do work for me before. Maybe I know what I should be doing with it now.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle

Rifle, you've got it bad eek I know the feeling. I'm seriously thinking about buying another one of these in a 7.62X39. When I started this project I had a mini mauser stock turned. I was going to use it for this project but before I knew it the metal work had out-classed the stock. I decided to have a real custom stock built for the above barreled action but what to do with this other stock? I'll never be able to sell it for what I have in it. I'm thinking maybe a cheaper version of this rifle. I dunno maybe a 7.62X39 with a factory barrel and just add some iron sights and a new bolt handle.

Terry

S
S
Terry,
Thanks for the welcome, I lurk sometimes but thought I'd better get on and say Hi and thanks to the compliments.

Shane

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well damn.... no more photo's??? Could have least sent a picture of Mr.Thompson's shop or toolbox or something....
this has really caused a problem in my life as I was just planning to hunt to Africa with a friend for his first hunt there....

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the wonderful photo's. That mini is going to be a beautiful rifle when you're finished. I am curious about the thumb cut, however. Other than personal peference or aesthetics, why did you bother putting that feature in the action ?

Rolly
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rolly, some of the most beautiful rifles in the world have been built with Mauser actions with thumb cuts. To me it just goes along with the rest of the additions on that barreled action. It's just one of many, many things Shane did to it. Some are noticeable and some aren't. A lot were functional enhancements and some are purely aesthetic. For me the idea is to have the two combine and become functional art. everybody has there own idea about what a custom rifle should be, this is mine. Shane came up with the idea and ran it past me. I couldn't say yes fast enough smile

Terry

S
S
Rolly,
The G33/40 cut and the thumbcut did serve a purpose however small it may be. When I started to surface grind the action I could see that the lettering on the 45 degree beveling obviously wasn't going to clean up. I could have just run an endmill across it to recut the 45 but I didn't like the looks of it anyway. I mulled over ideas to make the side of the action look better and this is what I came up with. The original action is supposed to be a mini mauser but to me it didn't look anything like any mauser, FN, Mex, 1909, or any of them. I believe that now it looks like mini mauser.

Shane

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by olhippie
....Very pretty piece! I'd like one in 6.5 Grendel, good for deer to 300 or a bit more yards, but still super for a varmit gun as well!

You know I was thinking the same thing, but I have another mex mauser in the works, so it will have to wait

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I converted a CZ-527 to 6.5 Grendel. Nowhere near as nice as this project, but it looks to be a decent little whitetail rifle at a little over 7 pounds all up.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terry did you turn the Mini Mauser into a CRF action too with a claw extractor?

Exquisite project by the way.

Regards
JohnT

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.