Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A few months ago, I purchased a Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57 Mauser from Allan's Armory. According to Allan's web site, it was made in 1930. My gunsmith refurbished and customized the rifle and the work is now complete. I thought some here might enjoy seeing some photos of the rifle.

Below are two photos of the rifle as received from Allan's Armory and before any work was begun on the rifle. (The photos are from Allan's web site.)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Below are photos of the finished rifle. The stock was stripped of its finish, dents were raised, oil damaged wood was repaired, and the stock received a new hand-rubbed oil finish. The rifle was converted to cock on opening with a Dayton Traister speed lock kit which includes a Mark II trigger, custom striker spring, and cocking piece. A Precise Metalsmithing (Wisner) two-position safety was installed. The action was glass bedded.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some info about the 9.3x57 from Norma�s web site:
"Interestingly, no one seems to be able to determine exactly when or by whom the 9.3x57 cartridge was designed but it dates back to around 1900. This is nothing more or less than the 8x57J with the neck opened up to accept the then widely popular .366-inch diameter bullets. This chambering is obviously similar in performance potential and range of applications as the 9x57 Mauser. Performance and design are also similar to the 9.5x57 Mannlicher, which has a differently shaped case. Several similar chamberings were common at the turn of the last century. Of these, only the 9.3x57 survives in common use. This chambering is still used all over Scandinavia for hunting driven Moose and lesser species. The most common gun chambered for this round is the Husqvarna bolt action. This chambering has been nicknamed "The Potato Thrower" due to the fact that it launches a heavy bullet at moderate velocity. With such popularity and such a good track record on game at typical driven ranges, it is likely to be with us for a good many years, despite the fact that no mainstream manufacturer now chambers it."

How the 9.3x57 compares to some other cartridges:
[img]http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/husky93x57/93x57compared.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/cartridges/cd93x57-resized.jpg[/img]

I now need to mount a scope, work up some handloads, and go shoot it!!

Cheers! [img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/emoticons/beer2.gif[/img]
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nicely executed; a good 2.5 power scope would do the trick!

What're your loads for it? I have a strong feeling one of these is in my future.

How was the original stock? Were there any cracks in the inletting or webbing around the magazine box and trigger?

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bob,
Why did you feel the need to customise it? Looked pretty good at the start ... I'd have refurbished only and placed my 6x Nickle on top. Personally the mounts and rings look way too high, particularly as it has a stock designed for open sights. Love the recoil pad ... what is it?
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle! It looks like I am far from the only one here with a strong like for the cool rifles of a generation ago. I think it is some kind of computer virus I caught here!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bob...

Nice looking rifle, both before and after. I keep scratching my chin on getting one of these. Let us know how she shoots!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well done! I have a mex mauser getting worked, and the 9,3x57 is in the running. That or a 358 win, either would match up with my mex in 338 Fed.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregon45

What're your loads for it? I have a strong feeling one of these is in my future.

How was the original stock? Were there any cracks in the inletting or webbing around the magazine box and trigger?

I haven't even begun to try to load for it yet. Norma has some data for 203-B powder on their web site with 286 gr bullets. I believe Norma 203-B is very similar to RL-15 so I figure I'll start with RL-15 and work up using the Prvi Partizan 286 gr bullets. Due to the small ring action, and the age of the rifle, I'm not going to try to hot rod it. I'd be very happy with around 2100 fps with a 286 bullet.

The original stock did have two minor cracks in the tang. Internally, especially around the trigger area, there was a lot of oil damaged wood but my smith was able to repair it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can like that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Con
Bob,
Why did you feel the need to customise it? Looked pretty good at the start ... I'd have refurbished only and placed my 6x Nickle on top. Personally the mounts and rings look way too high, particularly as it has a stock designed for open sights. Love the recoil pad ... what is it?
Cheers...
Con

Why did I feel the need to customize it? Well heck, just because I wanted to! grin If the rifle had been in more pristine condition I probably would have not done much customizing. I tried to choose one that wouldn't have a lot of collector value. Still, I did want the cock on opening conversion and the side swing safety.

Yeah, the mounts and rings may be a little high. It's as low as we could go in order for the bolt handle to clear a scope. With the drop in the stock, set up for iron sights like most bolt action rifles were back in the 20s and 30s, I realize the scope may be a little high. But, this is meant to be a fun gun so I'm not too worried about.

I think the pad is a Pachmayr but I can't remember. The rifle is still at my gunsmith's as I haven't picked it up yet so I can't go look at it right now and see what it is.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
An aperture sight would be the shizzle on that

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I thought about an aperture sight. My old eyes just aren't too good with iron sights. (I realize an aperture sight helps with that.) Still, if the scope doesn't work out very well, I can always have an aperture sight fitted and use it that way.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm interested in the 9.3 x 57 or similar caliber for a short barreled woods rifle. Any ideas how it would do with an 18" barrel. I'm getting a case of big-boreitis even though my deer don't require it. I just want one.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
BFa..,

I love neat old guns. Dern if you ain't found a dandy. What did that start out life as ... an M96?

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OUTCAST,

It's a Husqvarna Model 46. Husqvarna (in Sweden) manufactured new commercial actions (and sporting rifles) based on the design of the Mauser Model 96 action. It's not an action from a military rifle. (Someone more versed in the history of Husqvarna can probably explain it better than me.)

[Linked Image]
Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57 Mauser
(not my photo)

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Woodsmaster
I'm interested in the 9.3 x 57 or similar caliber for a short barreled woods rifle. Any ideas how it would do with an 18" barrel.

I really have no idea. I haven't even started load work for my rifle yet.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
if one was looking for a Husky in 9.3x62 what would one be looking for? want a strong action that will take full handloads

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please be very conservative, in handloading for that particular Model Husqvarna - as those early Model 96 based actions cannot take the pressure that a Mauser 98 can, and are also lacking all the M-98's safety features.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, that rifle is NOT a "Small Ring Mauser" - and cannot handle the pressures a true Small Ring Mauser can - like the actions later Husqvarna's were made on.

It is a Mauser with a small front receiver ring - and therein lies the rub.

All the earlier Mauser actions, like the 91's, 93's, 94's, 95's, and the 96's like yours - originally identified by their cock-on-closing issue feature - lack the safety features of the later Mauser 98 actions - both Small Ring 98's & Large Ring 98's.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have one of the first 70 Mausers built for the 6.5x55mm Swede, on an 1893 Mauser action used for the 7x57 Spanish Army. Mine is a sporting rifle with a 25-inch barrel, straight stock, schnabel forend. About half of the batch were military rifles. They were for the King of Sweden to give out to friends and military officers for evaluation.

Mine has been refinished by the owner, grandson of the original owner, a second rear aperture sight (Lyman) installed to replace the first (Redfield), and the front sight replaced to match the height of the aperture sight. I will put in on a good background and take a photo to post.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rangr44
Please be very conservative, in handloading for that particular Model Husqvarna - as those early Model 96 based actions cannot take the pressure that a Mauser 98 can, and are also lacking all the M-98's safety features. ....

Yeah, I'm very aware of the limitations of the action. I have no intention of trying to "hot rod it" when I handload for it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.