-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor judgement and behavior on his part, but I do not see how that altered their ability to travel. Now if there was a law prohibiting the public display of nooses, then yes.

Can one appeal to a higher court after pleading guilty? With this skimpy report, there may be more going on than listed here.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Qtip
Did any of you guys happen to see the rubber ball sac that you can buy to hang off your rear bumper? Not asking for opinions about "taste"; just want to know if you feel that is intimidating to females or more exactly "feminists"? Was "intent" proven in this guy's case?
We have to be careful about the "slippery slope" effect here. How far will the gov. go into this area of speech?

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
I live in the South, I see those all the time...tasteless, yet funny (hey, didn't I see something like that on a Hooters t-shirt?)

I agree about the slipery slope, but again, this case was clear as day and the slope was level and secure. If someone is trying to make a freedom of speech arguement, this isn't the case to make it with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
... With this skimpy report, there may be more going on than listed here.
Very good point.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No, If you can express yourself by burning a flag, dancing with snakes at church, playing vulgar rap music out loud, etc, you can hang a noose from your truck. No matter how stupid they all are.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by billhilly

So when the klan starts intimidating people with oven mitts, we�ll throw them in jail for that too right?

It�s not the object per say, it�s whether or not it intimidates people.

Exactly. He didn't break the law, he met what a judges interpretation of the law is. Since he found him guilty and sentenced him to prison he defacto broke the law.

Was a prison term due? IMO no. Assuming the judge found him guilty he would have been far better off with some sort of community service. Going to prison certainly isn't going to change any racist opinions he has, crazy likely make the worse!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
I kind of see a double standard applied. He goes to the slam and Rev. Wright is out walking around. Think he doesn't "intimidate some folks?
I think they were hoping to find someone they could spank and he was dumb enough to "offer" himself up.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is indeed a freedom of speech issue. Whether it�s a noose in a truck, a bong hits for Jesus shirt, burning a flag, a cartoon of the religious icon of your choice, or a sports team named after an Indian tribe. The right to express yourself has been taking hits is being limited according to how someone might �feel� about it.

Anybody can be �offended� or claim to be �offended� by damn near anything but the thing is that here is no right to not be offended. Someone earlier said �get over it� and that is what we should all do. Sticks and stones don�t ya know.

Being offended does not deprive you of anything. Having your freedom of expression limited by force of law does.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pointing to the bad acts of one, to excuse the bad acts of another is wrong. The nosses were intended to intimadate those people, even though they were there trying to intimadate the court who was hearing a crimminal case.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...This case sure seems like a travesty of justice to me! Next thing you know displaying a confederate battle flag will be a federal offense? The nasty Nazi swastika would bring major time I suppose. It's all ridiculous to me. Kinda like criminalizing bad taste. Who will we appoint the grand goblins of such defining legislation? What ever happened to free speech? This political correctness, or thought control is far more dangerous than most acts of poor taste or bigotry it purports to punish.
....Grow up! "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me!"...Such childhood wisdom's are long gone in this day and age of thin skinned pansy people.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by olhippie
... Who will we appoint the grand goblins of such defining legislation?

Just wait six months. I am sure that Comrade Obama has a long list of loyal "Party Members" all picked out and ready to fill such positions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta agree with you, Moe. In my part of the USA, it is not at all unusual to see a lariat rope or rifle in the back window of a pickup and that sure does not mean that they are on their way to hang or shoot somebody even though there are plenty around here that need it.

Maybe the black dudes that over-reacted about the noose had reason to be afraid or whatever.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What started this whole thing? A gang of blacks beat up a white kid... it appears the blacks protested (sound famaliar?) when black kids faced judgement. White kids friend protested black protest. Went to jail?

Sucks

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Geo,

Spot on. A white person got his ass handed to him by a GROUP of scum (scum is word that encompasses all low lifes, regardless of color) and because they are black their convictions are called racist? So they turn around and hang, no pun intended; this idiot for what he does. That is racist!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just guessing that when he plead he never expected jail time.

I would be curious to know how they intended to prove intent if they went to trial. If they could prove it, I have no problem with the prosecutionj.

Every now and then we have an outbreak of little nooses being left in school class rooms. I know for a fact that the intent of these "pranks" is to see the school administration and local police go nuts. And they never diappoint. Much to the amusement of the "perps." There's no racial motive in the action. I'm not saying it's smart, but the kids are old enough to see how silly some of the PC stuff is and take advantage of it shake up "the man."

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ZeroGravitas
If Obama wins, I'm opening a web business selling lawn jockeys.

Your first sale ought to be to BillHilly! grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I say NO,either you have freedom of speech and exspresion(non violent)or not! This person [bleep] or not at least has a right to say or display what he feels!

Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A fellas free speech has to be protected, but only if he is in the minority.

Quite true these days. The good news is that, according to a recent report, whitey will be the minority by 2041!
I'm probably too old to see it and if I was still here I'd be too old to care but, maybe we should warn all these minorities that pay back is a beech!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Last time I checked, blacks weren't the only ones ever hung by a noose. Matter of fact, they were the minority of people strung up in this country. Whole ordeal is assinine and lends credence that this country is taking it's last swirl in the PC schitter.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Since he found him guilty and sentenced him to prison he defacto broke the law."

And received a defacto prison sentence... Sometimes it appears a new precedent is the only thing a judge is after. Defacto or otherwise.

Should one do time for this? I vote no. This judge is over the top.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Munsen was sentenced on the same day that an anti-noose law took effect in Louisiana. The new law makes it a state crime, punishable by up to one year in prison, to try to intimidate someone with a hangman's noose, a Deep South symbol of racial hatred."

"House Bill 726 by Rep. Rickey Hardy, D-Lafayette, will make it a crime for a person to place a hangman's noose, or a picture of one, on another person's property or on public property with "the intent to intimidate." Conviction could bring fines up to $5,000 and up to a year in prison."

"A 37-0 vote in the Senate late Monday, following a 97-0 House vote earlier in the legislative session, sent the measure to Jindal for his signature. His office did not immediately respond Tuesday to a request for comment on the bill, which is modeled after an existing law outlawing cross burning."

nemesis:

As usual, the politicians had their fingers right on the pulse of the people in Louisiana when they voted unanimously for the bill and the Governor signed it into law.

Yeah, right......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 7mmStwer, 7887mm08, 35, 17 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,780
Posts18,536,045
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.