Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys,
Well, I'm getting married in about a week, so funds are tight, but I need to get a new scope, as I'm suspecting that one of my current scopes is FUBAR. I have been looking at 3 options, which would you choose, or is there something else that you would choose?

I would like a BDC reticle
I would like a variable of at least 3-9x40 (this is for a 25-06)
If possible, silver is good (going on a Stainless/laminate T3)

I'm thinking about the Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 w/ BDC $199
the Sightron S1 3-9x40 w/ BDC $110
and the Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/ ballistic plex $150

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Jordan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Burris or the Pentax equivilant (Pioneer). I have never had warm fuzzy's with Burris CS but that is a good scope for the coin.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Checkout the SWFA promo for the Nikon Team Primos 3-9 for $200. Same scope as a Monarch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nikon Prostaff would be a good scope,can get then often for around $140 new ,silver or Very good Nikon Monarch for about $200

I don't like how on the burris you have to turn the whole eye piece to change the power

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
highridge1 is right about the eye piece but I don't use covers so I'm ok with it.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it's not a deal breaker, but I actually like the entire rotating ocular.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 3-9 Burris FFII w/ ballistic plex in good shape I'd give ya for $125 plus shipping. It's a nice scope, I hate to see it just sitting there on the shelf.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the offer Jon, I just may take you up on that!

Before I decide which scope to get though, are there any other comments or thoughts on the 3 scopes I mentioned, or other comparable models?

Thanks again!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The only one I can comment on is the Sightron l. I've got the 3-9x40 w/std duplex. Just a coincidence but I bought it for my son's .25-06 and was not pleased with the optics or the eye relief which is way shorter than Sightrons specs show. I never bothered sighting it in. It's now on my .22 squirrel rifle which I sighted in today with NO problems and feel it's where it belongs. By the way I LIKE the other Sightron series scopes ALOT.
I reckon I could mention that I have two rifles here to develop loads for that belong to a friend. Both have Burris FFll 3-9x40s w/BallistiPlex reticles. Had to check zero @ 100yds on his .257 Roberts before putting it through my chrono. GLAD I did as it was 1ft low but windage was good. Adjusted for elevation one time and it was on. They're VERY clear optically,the eye relief is GOOD,and they're very good in low light situations(had them out on the deck at dawn and dusk a few times). I LIKE them! Ya may wanna think hard about JonA's offer.

til later

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/20/08.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would go with the Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jordan,

Now is the perfect opportunity to let the new bride know what is expected of her. Training starts today! You said you NEED a new scope. Pick out a nice one. Suggest that would be a suitable wedding present. OR let her know that you plan on spending some of the wedding gift funds for that scope that you NEED.
If you don't set things straight now, you'll be begging for scraps the rest of your life. Note the operable word here is NEED. If you don't establish your needs now, most of that gift money will go for matching pots and pans....matching bath towels etc. All of which are "Nice To Have" in other words "wants" not "NEEDS".
Worst case....List your Wedding gift "Registry" at Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas and hope she has some classy friends!

;-)

Sled2live

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jordan Smith,

or other comparable models

For me and a tight budget, or not, for sure I would not pick any of those listed. If I was going inexpensively, I would buy a 4-16X Tasco. I have one on my .375 Klienguenther K15. I put one on the .340 Weatherby Mark V. There's one on the Savage 7MM. I have a 2 1/2-10X for the .223 Savage. The justification for the higher magnification is, well, a flat shootin' .257 bullet. Get all you can.

In a side by side comparison of the optics, you will be hard pressed to say any of the others are better than the Tasco. How do I know this? Because I had a few of my friends do a bunch of comparing.

As far as toughness or reliablility, both the .375 (2703000fps) and the .340 (2103200fps) have been fired hundreds of times. I took the .375 to Alaska because I was not the least bit concerned.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Hey guys,
Well, I'm getting married in about a week, so funds are tight, but I need to get a new scope, as I'm suspecting that one of my current scopes is FUBAR. I have been looking at 3 options, which would you choose, or is there something else that you would choose?

I would like a BDC reticle
I would like a variable of at least 3-9x40 (this is for a 25-06)
If possible, silver is good (going on a Stainless/laminate T3)

I'm thinking about the Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 w/ BDC $199
the Sightron S1 3-9x40 w/ BDC $110
and the Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/ ballistic plex $150

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Jordan

I'm a big fan of Sightron, but the SIs suck.

Of those three, I'd go with Vortex (simply because I think they are FAR more likely to stand behind the product than Burris), then Burris, then Sightron (and the Sightron SI last, based upon the fact that the performance is behind the Burris and the Vortex).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Before I decide which scope to get though, are there any other comments or thoughts on the 3 scopes I mentioned, or other comparable models?

It's the only one of the three I have experience with.

One thing about the FFII you may not know that is one of the things I like most about it is how visible the reticle is in low light. In light conditions where many other brands' (even of far, far more expensive scopes) reticles start changing color and disappearing, this one remains stark black with great contrast. Just in case that's important to you.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not so. Reticles are lost during low light situations from two conditions. They are too thin/fine or the guy who focused the scope didn't get the reticle really sharp.
BTW, if this does happen to you, try reducing the magnification. You may get the reticle back with enough of the image to make your shot. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 08/20/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh God you are tiresome! Not so? Says you how? Have you looked through this scope next to your Luppies? No, you have not.

You have consistently been the only person to claim your Luppy reticle never changes color, even among the big luppy fans here. I guess when you refuse to ever even look through a scope with a BLACK reticle, it's easy to miss the fact yours has turned brown. That's why we compare things side-by-side, E. Try it sometime.

I'm still waiting to here your explanation from the other thread--were you lying or did you simply go senile?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've seen Tasco's crap and seen lenses fall out of Nikon's.Grab the Burris.Maybe some have had problems with them,but I have not.They are a bargain for the money.

A buddy of mine can afford anything he wants; he takes the Burris 3-9 to Africa.Solid gear.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Go to the optics forum & hear------- FOCUSING, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, & more focusing.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
First of all congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

No first hand experience with any of these scopes, but I can tell you that I have had extensive dealings with a Vortex affiliate (Eagle Optics) and have been extremely pleased with their personal service and warranty. Less than a week turn around including shipping both ways for a replacement, no questions asked after my bins were damaged during a hunt. I have been to their storefront on several occassions and they are great in person, on the phone and via email. I think Steelhead did a review on one of these scopes a month or two ago, you may want to search to see if you can find it.

I hear very good things about the Burris scopes from people with 1st hand experience. As I respect their opinions and experiences, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
In that price range, my eyes have been fairly impressed with the FFII, Elite 3200, and Prostaff. If the Diamondback represents itself as well among that group of scopes as my Viper does in its own price class, then the Vortex would be a very strong contender, as well. If you're not able to find all those models in one place to compare, check with Doug to see if he'll send you one to try. That guy is wonderful!

If you were to never look through the next higher-priced tier of scopes, you might well be quite content for the rest of your hunting days. You could certainly expect decades of wonderful service from any of the scopes that have been mentioned.

If, however, you succumb to the the temptation (and Campfire urgings!) to check out some slightly pricier scopes, you could be hard-pressed to live with anything less!

As usual, let your eyes be the judge: none of us will ever be looking through your scope!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,795
Posts18,536,418
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.