Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm looking at a rifle custom built on an FN Mauser 98 action, said to have been made by Vic Olson. It has some nicely done work but I haven't been able to turn up any information on a custom gunmaker or smith by that name. Any info on the gunmaker or sources would be appreciated.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did a google search for Vic Olsen guns, came up with a couple of rifles. They seem to sell in the $2500 range.
http://www.hallowellco.com/olson_custom_mauser.htm

Last edited by mcmurphrjk; 04/19/08.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The Olson on Hallowell's site is the only one I've found with no other info on the builder. Is there another one your Google search turned up?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That me be it. There is a keyword listing at www.shooting-hunting.com, which is linked to a gunshop in Tennessee. Perhaps you could contact that shop and get more info?

Address: 99 WHITEBRIDGE RD 105 NASHVILLE, TN 37205 USA
Voice: 1-615-353-0602 Fax: 1-615-353-0604
URL: http://www.your-domain-name.us
Email: salesgamefairltd.com
Keywords: SHOTGUNS, AMMO.SHOTSHELL, SPREAD R LOADS, FOR UPLAND GAME, RIFLES, FRANCOTTE, JAEGER, KIMBER, SAKO, DAKOTA, VIC OLSEN, COLT SAUER, BROWNING, FINE OLD GUNS,
Listing ID: 3754

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks I'll check it out.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Vic Olson is located in Imperial, MO. Before I met him he was a gunsmith for Browning, working in their Arnold, MO. facility. Eventually, he quit Browning and started his own shop, doing repairs and building custom rifles. He built several rifles for me back in the late '70s, early '80s. Shortly after that he quit full time gunsmithing for more lucrative employment, away from the gun trade. These days he is retired and just does a few minor repairs and such for old customers and friends.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
John, thanks for the information on Vic Olson. I decided to buy the rifle and finally received it today. Its workmanship - both stock and metal - is on par with well known gunmakers. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but if the apparent work is reflected in the machining, I expect it should shoot very well indeed. Appreciate the background and owe you one.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,096
Posts18,502,011
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.