-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds most logical Ruger. I figured you checked for copper already - but glad I asked anyway. You know plaine old paste wasx is great for the exterior and peraps you just need to run a dry patch or two before going to the range. One suggestion if I may, look for a good dessicant and keep it with you rifle. It will remove the moisture and reduce rhe rust and reduce the need for oil that much oil (as you probably already know). Something like this might be a cheap solution http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=183876

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a lot of folks here have more experience than I do. I certainly hope that nothing you are using is gumming up and leaving deposits in there. I'll tell you what I do, maybe something will help, or maybe you can tell me if I'm doing something wrong myself.

I had a nice sit down with my gunsmith a long time ago and he showed me how to clean a gun. He (I) use(s) Remington Bore Cleaner. It's water based and gray. It's a physical (non-chemical) cleaner, but he assured me it is non - abrasive. I push a soaked patch through say five times, then I soak another and push it through, say five times and so on until the patches don't come out black any more. Then I use Butch's Boreshine, and make sure that patch comes out clean. Then I run a clean dry patch through and leave it at that. I have cleaned all my rifles in such a manner for 20+ years and they are always spotless when I bring them in for work. He likes to borescope them to see how I'm doing. The last one I brought him, he said looked like it had been lapped. I use Ballistol for exterior surfaces and general lubrication, and Shooter's Choice grease (red grease in syringe) on logs and double barrel hinges and such. I have Dewey cleaning rods and MTM chamber guides.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,524
Posts18,509,733
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.