Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a standard vanguard in 257, like it lots, and the only thing I would wish for from that package, would be is less weight.

Later

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thread, I always appreciate a good value. I see that Joe's Sports has the blued Howa with a Nikko Nighteater scope on sale for $399. I don't know much about that scope but I am curious about the Howa's Hogue Overmolded stock. Is it the pricier model with the internal aluminum frame?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good question olywa, been thinking of getting a 22-250 Howa 1500 compact model. Any one know about that one?

Later...

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by olywa
I don't know much about that scope but I am curious about the Howa's Hogue Overmolded stock. Is it the pricier model with the internal aluminum frame?

I took mine apart the day I got it. It does not have the internal frame but it does have alluminum pillars around the stock screws.

The only complaint I have is about my stock. It seems to be pretty loosly inletted. But I have a gun smith that will glass bed it for $35. So I plan on fixing that problem here really quick.

I mentioned earlier that my rifle didnt like 150'gr bullets. I'm thinking now that it might be because when I shot them the rifle was brand new and not seated itself well into the stock. After firing 180' gr. bullets I noticed the tang had set farther back firmly aginst the tang inlet in the stock. When I took it apart It would not set back into the position it was in after firing. So I, next time I fire, bet my first few groups will be a little erratic until it settles back in. Like I said though, once I glass bed it that shouldn't be a problem. Even though I have nothing to complain about, I think it will likely improve my accuracy overall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 Howa's, 2 SS/syn, a .22-250 and a 7mmWSM, one Blue/syn in .300 Win and a Weatherby Vanguard, Blue/wood in .300WBY. All are fine, accurate rifles and all were bought new except for the scoped .300 Win and it was like new. The most expensive was the WalMart Vanguard at $379. Without out a doubt, I believe that the Howa is the best bang for the buck that is available out there today. Good luck.

IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Howa's and Vanguards may be good rifles for cheap but a Smith & Wesson bolt action will shoot circles around any Howa or Vanguard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FVA:

Hmmm, I have a Heavy bbl. Smith & Wesson 1500 Deluxe in 22-250. After glass bedding the action, and free floating the bbl, it shoots sub 1/2" groups.

Strange thing though, it's made by Howa,

Richard

Last edited by Meatco1; 08/31/08.

Cat, the other white meat!
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoulda added a (grin)

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My brother has a 1500 Howa,.30-06, wood stock model that is scary accurate with the Federal Fusions, as well.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I got my son a Vanguard in 270 that Walmart was closing out for 250.00. It had the tupperware stock, wasn't floated , and had a heavy trigger. He loves it and shoots 3 shoot 1MOA groups with it. I got him to reload for it and it shoots the same 1 MOA groups. I want to float the barrel, bed it and adjust the trigger. He doesn't want me to mess with it, unless I get him a new thumbhole stock. He saw the add for the 1500s with the boyds thumbhole. It kills deer with his longest shot at 275 yards. It shot better out of the box than my M70 30-06.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a HOWA in .270 for a friend who I owned a favor a few years ago. Only paid $310 back then. grin He loves the accuracy and carries it 90% of the time. I personally would remove the plastic and find a nice stock, but if it ain't broke . . .

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 09/04/08.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
reminds me of the t3/fusion thing smile

add basic no frills T3 or 1500 in any caliber and add fusion ammo...

accuracy promises are great if you invested 2k in your gun. however, i feel that if you popped 4 bills for a budget rifle with a promise that is all you can hope for. add shipping it back and forth and time lost to find out anything is a PIA and not worth the effort.. i have not heard of a problem with 1500's or the t3's shooting excellent out of the box.. however! i do know of at least one brand of rifle costing more than TWICE as much with NO promises (k#%&%r)(i wont say what brand wink ) that wont function, much less shoot.

there are buys out there and i think you scored one of them..

congrats and welcome to the fire.....

woofer

Last edited by woofer; 09/04/08.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
also, for anyone interested in one of the vangaurds they did a special run for the northeast which gets you green stock with webbing, blued standard 20 " config for $499. 308, 7-08, 243 and 22-250. the stocks are supposedly higher end stocks that weatherby used on a more expensive model a few years back and decided to package them for a northeast only run.... you can call weatherby to verify, i am just saying what the rep said at the shot show....

ffl pard wants $25 to ship.... just an FYI.....

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Northeast edition handled well to me, and I almost purchased one in .308 when I held it!

I was going to mention that in a post but you beat me to it woofer!

FMP

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks all for your responses. I am going to try to go to the range this week and get some good pics of the rifle and to try some different ammo types. Hopefully the results will be as pleasing as last week's. I'll post the pics for your viewing pleasure.

The troubling thing is that this rifle seems to have inspired me. All of a sudden I find myself considering downsizing or doing away with other hobbies, in which I have a lot of interest but only minimal participation, in order to finance handloading and regular practice with this rifle. I also keep contemplating future upgrades in optics, stock, etc. and Have already blown my budget by replacing the stock trigger unit with one from Timminey (Excelent BTW). I even find myself hoping that I am able to shoot enough to wear out the barrel so that I can justify putting a a premium grade barrel on it in the future. When things all shake out I would probably have been better off to just buy a custom rifle but my budget wouldn't have allowed that.

I don't think these feelings are so much a product of the rifle itself, but rather the cartridge it fires. It's simply that this rifle is just a lot more fun, and consistent to shoot than my 7mm magnum. Even though and am no whimp and Im good with my 7mm, the 308, because it is so enjoyable, has inspired me to shoot any time I get the chance rather than just when I am preparing for a hunt. Hopefully this will make me a better marksman no matter what rifle I have in hand.

My vision for this rifle in the future is a Custom Heavy Sporter with components of high enough quality, and with which I have practiced enough, that I can reliably and ethically engage targets out to 600yds (maybe further) and game out to 350.

Disclaimer: I hunt mostly white tail and the reason I don't really want to shoot much farther on game than 350 is {1} ethics and {2} I have found from past experience that judging deer much past 300 yards gets to be a bit unreliable for me unless I have a spotting scope; which I am definately not going to be toating around in the field unless I have a partner to serve as a spotter and help carry gear.

Anticdote: The my 350 yd maximum is a product of an experience that I had. I once wasted a buck tag on a spike I thought was a doe after watching he/she/it for ten minutes at 300yds. Turned out those ears were really good at hiding spikes at that range. That was years ago and I am a lot more careful now, but still It made an impression that things arent always what they seem at longer ranges. Conversely, you can tell a monster buck from 1000yds and I have been able to identify them that far away. But even then I feel that I should make sure to show respect by getting close enough to make a reliable shot. 300 yards seems to be a good number for me right now given my skill level, the accuracy of my 7mm, and my ability to judge game at extended distances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good choice, good buy.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
J
J
Awe...the Smith is the same rifle as the Howa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Good review. I have never heard anything bad about the Howas. And though I don't own one yet, I have handled several in the guns stores. To my eyes, the workmanship/machining are a significant step above a 700.

John

LOL

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is was good enough for Nosler to build a custom rifle around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then I'll never own a Nosler rifle either. Who would pay that kind of money for a Howa?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 16gage, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,989
Posts18,481,059
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.