-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Allright wiseguy" a little testy?? ".......did you ever consider the fact that MAYBE just MAYBE " A different way of stating a fact. Mr.Tom264, all I ever asked was for AMRA to post the response to his inquiries so I could learn the opinion of other 'smiths. It seems like my quest for this information has set you off for some reason. Hopefully, you will enjoy the remainder of the holiday.

Last edited by like2shoot; 08/31/08.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
They've been posted! what more do you want? no I'm not testy!
I'll pose a question for you:
What if the other gunsmiths said yes they would do it? what would YOU do in that case?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That the bolt had a special "Temper" and fluting was introduce heat that would mess this up and render the rifle "UNSAFE".

A couple of problems with that.

#1 You would need to get the bolt over 600 degrees to affect the tempering.

#2 Darn near impossible to get the bolt THAT hot unless your cutting the flutes with a tourch. We have flood coolant on our mills for a reason.........................................

Thinkin Karl won't touch it because he'd be limited to the existing pattern, Weatherby WANTS to sell ya a new rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.twistedbarrel.com/

http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

I was refering to these two, but I didn't make that fact real clear.

Sure, I'll answear your question. If I had the confidance in a 'smith to do any work I asked him to perform, I would hire him to do the work. I don't think there are many ( if any ) 'smiths that can do every aspect of gunsmithing fast enough and with enough experience to make a profit. Most gunsmith these days seem to concentrate in doing a small aspect well. IE: some work on 1911s, some on remingtons, some on mausers, etc. It appears to me that the two gunsmiths I was inquing about above do a lot of fluting. For me, If I wanted a bolt fluted and they told me they had done some prior to mine, then I would consider them. Which is why I asked for the response from them. I keep a list beside the computer of products and services that appear interesting to me. Sometimes, when people like AMRA ask about services, I post links that may help them. It seems like someone posting something you don't agree with, seems to bother you.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by like2shoot
It seems like someone posting something you don't agree with, seems to bother you.

Nope! doesnt bother me at all....actually I'm laughing about the whole thing.
But really......so your saying the if someone at WBY says NO it cant be done and a well known gunsmith (in this case more than one) also says NO it cant be done and you happen to find a gunsmith that says YES I will do it.........just because you've got it in your head thats what you want you will let this gunsmith do it?
Hey man whatever! I guess if you like eating rifle bolts.....have at it. crazy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this one of the gunsmiths that said it can't be done..or was this you ...Karl said it could be done but it would be cost prohibitive.......did you ever consider the fact that MAYBE just MAYBE Karl knows that it would be unsafe and also knows what means it would take to make the bolt safe......like maybe retempering it?

And since I answeared your question, Could you answear the one I asked ealier? Do you believe Weatherby or Karl?

We haven't even hit 150 views yet, must be a slow night. At least we are getting our post counts up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I guess if you like eating rifle bolts.....have at it

Ya really don't know what your talking about, do you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I meant to ask you another question. See if you will answear this one. Are you aware that Karl does not flute Savage bolts? And that some gunsmiths will flute them. Does that make anyone that has a Savage bolt fluted willing to blow the bolt up? If you asked the Savage Factory Custum shop to flute a bolt you returned to them, do you believe they would flute it? I don't think they will.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by like2shoot

It appears that Weatherby states that it is unsafe for anyone to work on the bolt. Do you agree with Weatherby? Yes

It appears that Karl states he can flute the bolt, but prefers not to do so? Do you agree with Karl? Yes

So Weatherby says no, Karl says yes, and you agree with which one? Dont put words in Karls mouth he didnt say yes he would do it.....he said it could be done but he prefers not to.....to me thats a nice way of saying NO.

Good enough?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I guess if you like eating rifle bolts.....have at it

Ya really don't know what your talking about, do you?

Seriously??????
You willing to take a "chance"?
Not me.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tom the only issue that would concern me is compromising the hardness of the bolt lugs. From there rearword the only job of the bolt body is to contain the firing pin spring. The body could be made of plastic (with the bolt head firmly attached) and the firearm would function normally. Remington bolts are 2 piece!!!!!! The bolt body isn't anywhere near as hard as the bolt head. The only reason to have a hardened body on a stainless firearm is to prevent galling which two pieces of stainless of the same hardness rubbing togeather under a load are prone to do. There's enough clearance between a weatherby action and the bolt body to prevent the majority of galling.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by AMRA
I did contact a place called HTC and Pac-Nor both of them turned me down flat. No reason given other than NO !!!

Jared at the Weatherby Custom Shop told me that Because my bolt is stainless they could not for safety reasons.

Originally Posted by crittergetter
I asked Karl at Kampfeld Custom if he could do the same to my 2 Mark 5 S/S bolts and he said no

Originally Posted by AMRA
I had forgot that I also contacted a guy Lex Weberneck? at Rifles Inc. who specialize in milling and drilling Remington 700`s and Winchester 70`S for super light weight rifles.I asked him could they do what they do to my stainless Weatherby. I got a flat no from him also.

Why I ask myself does every gunsmith say NO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Dont put words in Karls mouth. did you ever consider the fact that MAYBE just MAYBE Karl knows that it would be unsafe and also knows what means it would take to make the bolt safe......like maybe retempering it? " and ".....he said it could be done but he prefers not to.....to me thats a nice way of saying NO. "

Now that is funny.

So Weatherby says no, Karl says yes, and you agree with which one?
You agree with both without answearing the question from..how many posts ago?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Why I ask myself does every gunsmith say NO " If you don't know, just make up some random thoughts. Like you did for Karl. Seems to work for this thread.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Why do you suppose the other guys said no...........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no facts pertaining to why they answeared no, do you? And I'd rather not suppose.

Could you please ....

So Weatherby says no, Karl says yes, and you agree with which one?
You agree with both without answearing the question from..how many posts ago?

answear this one?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I believe I did answer the question.............its in bright RED

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any chance you career field is politics?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC winchester post 64 bolts are two piece also. I wonder if I can get one fluted? Does anyone know?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (22250rem, 219 Wasp, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 5,570 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,818
Posts18,536,849
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.