Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't like removable magazines on hunting rifles. I don't like long actions for short action cartridges. I don't like stocks that break at the wrist (call me Irish on the last, and I know it's just an example of one, but a Tikka is the only one I have seen that happen to whilst shooting).

I do like rifles I can tinker with easily and add stocks/barrels without a problem.

They are fine for what they are, if folks like them then I'm happy, but don't tell me they are the best thing since the Savage 110.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Duffman
It seems to me that those of you that are not Tikka fans seem to blame the extensive use of "plastic" parts. Was that just the stock, or other parts as well?

Its just the stock!

Mine shoots under 1/2" groups and people get pissed at me when I bring it to the range. I out shoot the custom rifles that cost 4-6 times more than mine. I went with the Talley's because the factory rear ring started moving and changed my POI several times. I put on the talley's and the problem was solved.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
Originally Posted by Duffman
It seems to me that those of you that are not Tikka fans seem to blame the extensive use of "plastic" parts. Was that just the stock, or other parts as well?

Its just the stock!

Sure about that? The three examples I had, not to mention all the ones I've handled had plastic detachable Mag, plastic trigger guard, and a plastic bolt shroud which has been known to crack.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to relate your experiences with the gun. I shot a wood stocked Tikka T3 and liked it alot..enough that I'm 90% sure I'll be buying one tomorrow. If there was something about it that was unequivocally sub-standard I would avoid it, but the reasons Steelhead gave for not liking it, I believe, don�t have anything to do with my selection:

1) I don't mind removable magazines, but I will say what Tikka charges for one is insane...
2) I want a long action so the cheesy short action modification is a moot point
3) Steelhead, did you shoot a wood stocked model (which I would buy)? In the store yesterday I tweaked a synthetic stock model like a wad of modeling clay�that didn�t give me any confidence in that stock material!
4) I have no desire (or knowledge how) to tinker with a barrel or any other part of the rifle except the trigger (which I understand is pretty good to start with, but can be adjusted without a gunsmith).

Again, I really appreciate your feedback�if I�m way off base on anything that I said I�d appreciate more feedback. The gun I shot had a great feel, it was accurate, I liked the trigger, and it was inexpensive.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Plastic stock that broke.

As I said, they are what they are. They are certainly a step-up from the Remington 710's for the 'Mart crowd.

Still can't like a magazine for a hunting rifle, ymmv

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You sure you don't have a secret Tikka thing, Steeley? Kinda like pulling the pigtails on the little girl you didn't want to admit really liking in grade school? (I'm pretty sure I'll regret that example...grin)

As for the Tikkas, the stock's sure no McMillan, and I don't even like a hinged floorplate on my serious hunting rifles, so I can't quarrel with those who don't like the detatchable mag, but for a truck gun and a coyote killer and a doe culler when I'm not all that serious, they're plenty handy.

I've just never seen a less particular rifle on shooting all kinds of factory ammo really well, and they sure handle and balance better than most of the other cheap rifles I've messed with - I like the weight and how they keep some beef in the barrel despite its lightweight status, and I like the trigger and feeding and action quite a bit better than the Savages I've tried.

The Tikkas are a little better than the 710's for us low bred Wal-Mart patrons...grin.

As for the original question, the factory rings have worked fine on all the Tikkas I've owned or tried, but get the Talleys anyway.

DJ

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I like detachable mags, you can toss another one in your pocket, and carry on.

I think their plastic trigger guard, is better than the junk aluminum that Remington uses. Although Remmy owners can always drop $150 on a Williams, that way you can tell someone that the little loop of steel on your gun cost $150.

I think their plastic stock is as good, if not better than the same plastic stocks used on factory Winchesters, Rugers, Remingtons, and Sakos.

I think they have the best barrels on a factory gun (Sako).

I think their adjustable, crisp triggers are 100x better than that booby-trap that Remington uses.

If only they would make a McFillin stock for the Tikkas, then Steelhead would probably start speaking praises of the lowly Tikka. LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DJTex,

Thanks for your post. I'm not looking for a Kimber, a Sako, or a Cooper (or one of those other high $$$ guns everyone on the internet seems to own), I just want a gun that's safe, reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, and one that doesn't cost so much that I give a rats %#@ when the stock gets dinged.

Regarding the WalMart comment..that was funny! I'm so happy that a Tikka will put me above that crowd....

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Phew, thank God that link didn't lead to a Tikka rifle!!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If yall hate the plastic so much you can get a wood or laminate stock! People either hate them or love them! No gray area on that!

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
If yall hate the plastic so much you can get a wood or laminate stock! People either hate them or love them! No gray area on that!

I had a T3 Hunter (wood stocked) 25-06. A world of difference compared to their tupperware stock no doubt. Ultimately, certain aspects of the rifle build I simply did not care for.... especially for a hunting rig.

1. Liberal use of plastic parts (trigger guard, bolt shroud, mags)
2. Detachable Clip (not my cup of tea on a hunting rifle)
3. Hard to load from the breech
4. Action Length..... only 1
5. Plunger ejector and a hook style extractor
6. Synthetic stock feels flimsy and has too much flex

After owning and hunting with them I came to the conclusion that the Tikka's simply weren't what I wanted in a hunting rifle... obviously YMMV.... which is fine as you only need to please yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like detachable mags, you can toss another one in your pocket, and carry on.

Different strokes.... which is fine. Although, as has already been mentioned, the cost for a second/replacement is expensive.

I think their plastic trigger guard, is better than the junk aluminum that Remington uses. Although Remmy owners can always drop $150 on a Williams, that way you can tell someone that the little loop of steel on your gun cost $150.

I agree that the trigger guards and BDL assemblies on the Remington's leave alot to be desired. Same goes for the Tikka IMHO. I've broken trigger guards on both brands.

I think their plastic stock is as good, if not better than the same plastic stocks used on factory Winchesters, Rugers, Remingtons, and Sakos.

Which isn't saying much as honestly all the tupperware stocks are junk IMHO and IME.

I think they have the best barrels on a factory gun (Sako).

They do seem to be consistently good shooters.

I think their adjustable, crisp triggers are 100x better than that booby-trap that Remington uses.

No argument on Tikka's having good triggers.

If only they would make a McFillin stock for the Tikkas, then Steelhead would probably start speaking praises of the lowly Tikka. LOL

Can only speak for myself, but a McMillan or Bansner wouldn't change my opinion. I still have the issues of the detachable clip, plastic shroud, and plastic trigger guard, one size fits all action,.... yada yada yada....

Just my opinion based on previous ownership and experience. Everyone has different needs, desires, and expectations when it comes to their equipment.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shroud a problem? Toss it, works fine without.

Plastic? Come on, its 2008, not 1908! (not directed at you Fosteology)

Detachable mag? Good points, bad points, a wash in my world.

Top loading an issue? Well if it was a dangerous game rifle or a battle rifle maybe. If you shoot and miss so much its an issue.....

The T3 for me is a beater, it does what I buy a hunting rifle for, it puts a bullet were I point, with boring ease.

Idiot? Huh? So that explains my problems.

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 09/01/08.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Easy solution for the one size only action...buy it chambered in a long action cartridge. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
25-06 - Perfect T3 cartridge, IMHO, although a 270 may be the choice of many. Doesn't help my 223, though...grin.

DJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The plastic parts don't concern me (I carry a Glock..I'm used to plastic/synthetic), I'll buy a wood stock (although not the Deluxe model..it's pretty and all, but I'll put that extra money towards another magazine and rings), I want a long action, and while it looks funky, I don't mind the fact that I can't top load..as mentioned..it'll be a deer/antelope rifle...four shots better be enough!

I'm off in a little bit to Impact Guns today to put my money down on a Tikka. I really appreciate all the feedback as I now know most if not all of the rifles shortcomings....and I can live with 'em.

And yep, DJTex, 25-06 is the cartridge I'll be getting.

Last edited by Duffman; 09/01/08.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
25-06 was my choice,I like it just fine because it does everything I expected it to do.The only surprise was the muzzle blast,just a little more than expected(federal 85 and 100 gr.BT)

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder why my 30-06 does not have significant muzzle blast., It has never shot even factory with any sign of flash or blast.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1badf350, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 15,852 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,788
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.