Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Just starting to load for a Ruger #1 in 404 Jeffery. I'm using Barnes 400 solids and TSXs. I can find data for both bullets, but I have some Woodleigh 450 grain solids I'd like to try - can't locate any data for those. Any favorite loads for the Woodleigh 450 or experience with them on buff? Thanks

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reloaded 15 is your friend.

I used Woodleigh 400's in my CZ .404 Jeffery in Africa in 2006 -- but only on blesbok grin. I used 400 gr TSX's on the buff...

I loaded 76 gr of Re 15, but you could likely use more or less...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
D
I have no experience with the 404, but I could run it though a QuickLoad or LFD if you wanted, to see what it comes up with

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear"

The Navy was once made up of Wooden ships and Iron Men, today it seems we have Iron ships and wooden men
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Dan, thanks. I already tried QL including the latest update download, but the 450 Woodleigh solid is not included in the data base. Muledeer, thanks. I'll try the RL 15 this week. I tried an interesting experiment today, turning 375 RUM cases into 404 Jeffery. Reversing the process I guess. I plan to use the converted 375 RUM cases (all it takes is a single pass through the 404NE sizing die with a tapered expander button) for load development and practice and save the (expensive) 404-headstamped cases for hunting trips to places where customs is watching the ammo. Have you tried this?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I have...somewhere on here is a thread with pics where Con and I were discussing this exact possibility. Rutten sent me three .375 RUM cases and I ran them through the die. I loaded them with RWS 400-gr solids and went to the range. I think the rim is a touch smaller, but my CZ fed and ejected them without a bobble.

If you check the .404 Jeffery data in Barnes #4 you can see a pic of my buff... grin.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
There is a small difference in rim and head diameter, as well as in the extraction groove configuration. However, so far my Ruger #1 extracts and ejects the 375RUM-404NE cases without problems. I hope to get to the range next weekend and try out some loads. I still need to compare case capacities to determine starting loads. I'll look up your photo next time I see the Barnes #4 (not one of my on-site resources).

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Muledeer, got a hold of the Barnes #4 today - great buff in the picture and some real interesting loads there. I also got H4350 load data for the 450 grain Woodleigh bullets from Geoff McDonald @ Woodleigh. Since the SD of the 450 grain .422 bullet is very similar to the .458 500 grain bullet and their data shows max MV of 2160 fps I think this may be the bullet I initially work with for buff. I'm planning a buff hunt in Mozambique for 2009 so it was interesting to read the description of your hunt.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think whatever bullet you choose in .422-.423 is likely to work for you -- not a caliber with a bunch of bad bullets running around, I think.

Have you booked your hunt yet? What part of Moz are you going to? I'd be happy to tell you about my experience, if that would be useful.

Dennis

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Yes, we've booked in the Marameu Coutada 10 area with Phillip Bronkhorst. As far as I can tell from the maps I've seen the area extends inland from the coast, generally between Beira and the Zambezi. A friend has hunted with this safari outfit and has had a good experience, although this will be our fist hunt for buffalo. I would certainly find it helpful to hear about your experience in Moz. Thanks

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's pretty much the same area I hunted. I'm about to walk the dog and go to bed, but within the next couple of days I'll send you a PM with pics and a description of my hunt.

What month are you hunting? I was there in August, which is allegedly winter -- though it was hotter than the hinges of hell.

More to follow, via PM.

Dennis

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
We'll be there 1st week in August.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 404 Jefferys is my all time favorite African caliber and I have used it for close to a century!! smile I have shot about everything Africa and the NA continent have to offer with it..

For a near max load try 95 grs. of IMR-4831 with any 400 gr. bullet for 2653 FPS in a 27 inch barrel and about 2600 FPS in your 26" barrel..pressures are low and its the best velocity of any powder and accuracy is usually outstanding..recoil is offensive. It is a full case of powder but not compacted.

Northfork Industries used my load of 95 grs and tested it for pressure and velocity and came up with almost the exact figures as I had, although they had more safisticated equiptment than I.

My hunting load is 93 grs. of same for a bit over 2400 FPS and recoil is much milder..

I have used RL-15 and 4350s with satisfactory results but the above is by far the best velocity and accuracy in every 404 I have owned or tested and that is quite a large number of 404 rifles...

Good luck and you picked a winner.

Last edited by atkinson; 09/03/08.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Ray. Just loaded some 450 Woodleigh solids and 400 Barnes banded solids to get started. I hope to get to the range & chrono them this week to get an idea of what my rifle (24" bbl) will do. I'll try your 4831 & RL15 loads in my next batch.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muledeer
Yes I have...somewhere on here is a thread with pics where Con and I were discussing this exact possibility. Rutten sent me three .375 RUM cases and I ran them through the die. I loaded them with RWS 400-gr solids and went to the range. I think the rim is a touch smaller, but my CZ fed and ejected them without a bobble.

Any idea where that thread is? I've come up empty. blush

thx ......

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The loads I made up today were all in cases re-formed from 375RUM, so if I can get to the range before the week ends I can post the results of this experiment, if there's interest. Preliminary measurements done on random 5-case samples of 3 batches of cases (2 from BeLL and 1 the re-formed 375RUMs) show internal capacity (to the case mouth using BL C-2) to be: BeLL 1 = 113.6 grains, BeLL 2 = 113.0 grains and 375RUM-404 Jeffery = 113.2 grains. So capacity doesn't seem to be a problem. Rim diameter is 0.542" for BeLLs and 0.534" for the 375RUMs, not a problem extracting before firing, but we'll see how the expanded fired cases do.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by muledeer

Any idea where that thread is? I've come up empty. blush

thx ......

I can't find it either whistle. But here's the pic of gthe cases...
[Linked Image]

It's like Wildcatter said -- case head is slightly smaller, but that seems to present no problems in my CZ either. Case capacity does seem to be equal, and the ammo shoots to point of aim.

If I didn't have a goodly supply of Norma .404 brass, I would be reforming .375 RUM brass without a care. It seems to work.

Dennis

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]

This photo shows the BeLL 404 Jeffery case on the left and the reformed 375RUM case on the right, both unfired. The only visible difference is the extraction groove dimension and shape.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
muledeer,
Stop showing those pictures! I have a 375H&H length max box in the mail for a Ruger, know the wherabouts of a cheap donor stainless 7mmRemMag ... I dont need the temptation to build a stainless 404Jeffery to use up my 300RUM brass!
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always trim the necks and build a .404 Short like we talked about before...

Just trying to be helpful from half a world away grin.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Con...I will now make you crazy... grin.

I went out to the shop this morning, dinking around while smoking venison (my project for the day), and made two...are you ready?....404 Ruger cases!

Here they are, one loaded with a 400 gr RWS solid, next to .404 Jeffery cases, one loaded with a 400 gr Woodleigh Weldcore.
[Linked Image]

Here they are next to the parent .375 Ruger cases, one loaded with a 300-gr Hornady RN.
[Linked Image]

No particular reason to do it, other than rebarreling a Ruger .375 African to .404 Ruger... grin.

Now...what can I sell... whistle.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.