Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I think you'll do fine with the Speer's, though I haven't used them in the .307. I have used Hot Core's extensivley in the .356 and found they work great. However, this year I'll be shooting the .307, and have a box of 150gr TSX flat nose's that I hope to get a chance to use this year. They certainly look like they'll do the job.

GB1

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Partitions... just cuz the deer deserve it. grin

grin grin grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would be very careful using that load. I ran a computer simulation using 2600fps as a baseline. The load is good up to 2600, but be aware that at 2601.055fps it tore a hole in the time contingency and everything got dark...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used a 150-gn Speer from my 30-30 to kill a blacktail doe a few years ago at about 50 yards. I don't remember the velocity... but they were handloaded up towards the top of what a 30-30 will do. Whatever that is.

It worked fine and exited. In fact, I was kind of surprised at how much bloodshot there was near the entrance wound. It seemed like that FP really smacked the deer.

I think, and this is just me thinking out loud, but I think you should use the 170-gn bullet... not because the 150 won't work, but because the 170 will probably work just a skootch better.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, two completely opposite responses - if I'm reading superhornet right...

BTW, superhornet, I believe its "time continum". wink

The places that I hunt usually aford me shots at 100 - 150 yards. But, I will be hunting in woods this fall here in Texas and thus, the question.

I think I'll be fine given what I've read in this thread.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the deer will take one look at that exceptionally cool looking rifle and think, "oh geez, I'm dead!". Perception is reality, so it probably won't matter too much which bullet you use. wink

The neat thing about 30-30's is that the bullets have long been perfected to work great at the standard factory velocity range - pushing them or any bullet beyond it's design parameters can cause trouble. So weighing in with my humble opinion, your question is a very good one and something that not everybody would even think to ask.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well thank you and thank you Jim. I'm hoping that it'll look even cooler with its new crescent buttstcok. I'll post a pic when it's done. Hoping that arrives today smile Brownells has been great so far - got the tang screws and sight blank yesterday and did that work... and I've got 100 hardcast/gc lead bullet loads ready to fireform the cases.

Oh and I have another question:

[Linked Image]

Do ya'll think this buttplate will fit OK? :lol:

Last edited by OSOK; 09/05/08.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would run the 170 Partition myself. Peace of mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And once you finish the rifle, you can claim it started as a "half-baked" idea....

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by superhornet
The load is good up to 2600, but be aware that at 2601.055fps it tore a hole in the time contingency and everything got dark...

I hate it when that happens . . . . . grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was a teen, My dad's 35 Rem would kill deer dead. Now that I'm older, My 350 Mag. kills them deader. In between, My 6mm & 300 Mag. would really do the job, But They all could never flip one in the air like My 8x57 Mouser. On a good day, it could drive them back to Camp, up hill, both ways!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite 300 Savage load for whitetails involves the 170 grain Remington SPCL 30-30 bullet. At the faster 300 Savage speeds, the 170 grain SPCL expands pretty quickly and still usually provided through & through penetration. I like the 170 grain Partition and 170 grain SPCLs in my Marlin 336 SC in 307 and 180 and 200 grain Speers in my Marlin 336 SD in 356, both Nonneman conversions.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of 300's now, and have been wondering about the flat noses.., round noses just look right on a .300 to me, not always that easy to find any more round noses.

I will have to give some a try.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the interest of furthering the general knowledge of bullet performance on deer, I say go for it (even though I am a bit skeptical, re: excessive explosiveness). Report back. Seriously.

My old man went in just the opposite direction. He got a good deal on a pile of Nosler Partitions about 40yrs. ago and proceeded to shoot the heck out of stuff in a standard .30/30, 340 Savage. He even loaded them down somewhat to increase case life. Cleanly killed a few deer and shot rings around most of his peers on "sight-in day." I say run-what-ya-brung, as long as you have faith in it and shoot it well.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not necessary, but you could have a lot of fun with that fancy rifle loaded with 130 TSX or the fancier TTSX at maybe 2900 fps...you could play with (2) of those at a time and own the killing field out to 500 yards.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time you're likely to run into any issue is if you're shooting at a deer at 35 yard or less. At 100-150 yards, it's just like shooting a regualr .30-30 at 35 yards, and I know from experience hunting bear behind dogs that the .30-30 bullet using either the 150 or 170 (regardless of manufacturer) will do the job just fine. With the 150 expect to see some bloodshot meat around the hole as it's a fast expander, and you'll see the same with the 170 to a slightly lesser degree.

At closer ranges, I would think about pointing those bullets towards the lungs where you can maximize the performance of a possibly over-expanded bullet and minimize the liabilities. With a lung shot, a 150 will give you through and through with a gaping hole. Point that 150 at a shoulder at those velocities and it will still break the shoulder, but not penetrate much further than that.

With a .30-30 at 35 or less yards on black bear, I was alway impressed at how much authority that little rifle hit. Bears just lost all their fight and went down. Only one bullet did I not recover, and all those I did recover had expanded real big and did massive dammage even though they didn't exit. (hint-not every bullet has to exit).

Exit or not, you hit a deer from 0-250 yards with that rig and it will be a life altering event for the deer, simple as that. What you've created is a .300 Savage, which is an almost ideal deer cartridge. That's about the coolest post '64 I've seen; great job.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Kevin, guys. I have always gone for the heart/lung shot but that does sometime put the bullet through a shoulder - up close a double lung should be just fine. And for bear, I'll use my .356 - like 260 Rem, I've got one of Nonneman's conversions - a 336 that started out as a 35 Rem.

I just finished the final touches to this rifle and thought I'd share it here - I wasn't happy with the non-matching, shotgun buttstock on this - din't look quite right, so I installed a Precision Gun Works buttstock and fitted one of their "as cast" crescent buttplates too (the baked version just didn't hold up! wink ). Anyway - here's the result:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very challenging for me. This is the biggest home gunsmithing project that I've ever undertaken. The hardest part was the inletting on the buttstock - both ends... whatever the pro's get for doing this - it ain't enough! While I'm satisfied with my work, I won't be offering my services for hire! smile

Next, I go to the range and shoot the 100 cast bullet loads (170 gc laser cast at about 1800 fps) to fireform the cases. I'm interested to see how it does with those loads. After that - the AI loads get tested....

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have yourself a beautiful rifle, there. Hope you can draw blood with it this year! Keep us posted on how it performs!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
You have yourself a beautiful rifle, there. Hope you can draw blood with it this year! Keep us posted on how it performs!

And I'll repeat that.

Dam good job.

As far as the baked version, they always seem to turn to crap with a little butter......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now that is one saweeet rig! I also dont really think it matters on which bullet in 150gr at those velocities, but i would first try the 150gr Hornady round nose and if that didnt group well move on to the 150gr rem core lokt round nose. Hornady makes some really good, consistent bullets that are usually very accurate. The core-lokt has probably killed more deer than all other bullets combined, but then again, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.Good luck bloodying that baby this year...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.