Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would love an F-250 more than any other truck on the road, but I just can't justify the cost (or size for that matter) when all I really need is a good pickup that can get me around the jobsites I visit/inspect, as well as get me around the camp and let me haul a light load of supplies (which would include a dead deer from time to time) ... (grin)

-WGM-

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and yes, I realized the TIC in your comment ... but felt compelled to make sure that I went on record with my opinion of the Kia vehicles ... wink

-WGM-
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My opinion: owned 6 Toyotas since '84 (still have 3: 2 SUV 1 Taco) the other 3 were the small trucks. My experience has been great with this brand, including dealer/service. Will be buying a new Tundra double cab 4x4 soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have owned two and 4WD trucks by all three. I have some praise, and some complaints with each.
A good deal on any of them would make me an owner again.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/07/08.

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I know a guy who bought a 2007 Crew Cab Chevy with the 5.3 last year this week, he's claiming 21.6 MPG on the highway with it, it does have the 4-6-8 capability. It's "not fast".

I wrote 20+ but I have actually done as well as 22 mpg, but I wouldn't say that is the average. I have on particular trips also calculated 21.6, 20.5, etc. I consistently get better than 20.

I have on a few occasions considered the mid to small size pickups, but every time I look at their mileage, well, it just isn't any better and they have less capability than a 1/2 ton GM. I think the ford ranger is the only small pickup which can get really good mileage, at a huge sacrifice in capability of course. I can tow a max of 7500 lbs if need be with a class IV hitch and 3.45:1 diff. Incidentally, the one time I achieved 22 mpg, I had the truck loaded well, let's just say I believe I absolutely exceeded the maximum listed rating. To give an idea, I had a 27" TV, Washer, Dryer, 1 bed-full layer of cinder blocks, cast iron weight set (8x45,6x35,6x25,8x10,8x5,6x2.5 lbs), sofa, recliner and at least 24 boxes of files and books. The load was level high with the top of the cab and with the tailgate down and to the edge. The entire backseat area was full too along with 2 cats on top of everything in the back and my wife with 5 potted plants in her lap on the passenger side, because she just wouldn't leave the behind. Like I said, it was FULL, but I won't ever do that again.

As far as I can tell, reliability is GM's only achilles heel, and the newer models may have remedied that ... wish I knew for sure.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current truck is a 2007 Tundra 4x4 doublecab with the 5.7 engine.My previous trucks were 2004 GMC 1/2 ton crew 4x4,and 1999 GMC extended cab 4x4 both with the 5.3 engine.Before that was a 1995 sierra extended cab 4x4 with the 5.7 engine.My two trucks previous were a 1991 and 1988 ford 4x4 extended cabs.

The two fords spent way too much time in the shop,with leaking rear crank seals,broken front hubs,clutch failure,transfer case problems etc.The GMCs did much better but still had front axle seal,pinion seal,transfer case and electronics problems.My Tundra has only been to the dealer for oil changes.

Mileage wise,the 5.3 engine produced about 22mpg to 23mpg(imperial gallons) on the highway.This dropped off to about 18mpg towing a small trailer with a quad(less than 1000lbs total)

The Tundra produces about 21mpg to 22mpg(imperial gallon)highway,and drops to about 18mpg towing my 16' fishing boat(about 2000lbs total).

Power wise,there is no comparison,the Tundra with 381hp and 401 ftlbs easily out pulls and out accelerates any of my previous trucks.

Interior room wise,the Tundras double cab provides a little less room than the GMC crew cab,but much more than the GMC extended cab.A 6' tall adult has enough leg room to sit normally in the rear of the Tundra,in the GMC extended cab,it is very cramped.

The Tundra has the full 6-1/2' both compared to the 1/2 ton crew and it's 5'8" box.

Brakes are very different with the Tundras four wheel discs being much more powerful and predictable than any of the others.

Off road the Tundra has more ground clearance than any of the others.

Ride wise the GMCs ride smoother on the highway,but are too soft for off road despite all being Z71s.

After owning all of these trucks,The Tundra has proven to be the most reliable and most practical for my uses.

If it sounds like I have had more problems than most people,it is not due to abuse or lack of maintenance,but rather to a very harsh climate that sees temperatures below -40 degrees each year.That cold seems to be much more demanding on all equipment including vehicles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went through the same routine in June and ended up with a Tundra. I've put 5k on it in 2 months to include 1,400 mile trip towing our 8k trailer with about 1k in the truck. I'm very pleased so far.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Need a new vehicle, part 3:

It's going to be a truck, and it's going to be either an F-150, a C1500, or a Tundra (can't like Nissan, and don't like Dodge).

Figure full-size, TONS of highway miles, a good bit of off-highway mileage, need for long-distance drive comfort...... auto tranny, 4WD, extended cab or crew cab........

Chevy gives better engine options (4.3V6, 4.8V8, 5.3V8), Toyota likely a bit better mileage, Ford better "looks".

Thoughts (and yes, I know this oughta be a schit storm.....)

The Chevy 5.3 gets the best fuel milage and has oodles of power. Crew cabs get worse fuel milage than X-cabs in the Chevys (you wouldn't think it would make 1-3 mpg diff, but apparently it does). Chevys have the biggest X-cabs and the easiest for entry and exit. I think GM still has the 100k warranty--a great idea with these new, complex, yuppie trucks.

How much the Toyota reputation for quality carries over to their full size trucks is still up for debate, but I'm guessing they are likely to be better than the others. When something does go wrong, be prepared to pay more for Toyota parts (and probably more labor too).

Ford is playing catch-up with their gas engines, their latest motors are still too new to say much, quality is par with the rest.

The less the complex options one can do without, the less aggravation and trips to the dealer......skip the talking, heated, blinker equipped, servo motor driven, power fold-back mirrors, as one example.......

The difference in price between a X-cab and crew cabs don't really pencil out IMHO--unless you really need a CC to haul the kids/dogs. The 1/2 ton crew cabs in most brands have a 5 1/2 ft bed--I draw the line at a "normal" shortbed at 6 1/2 ft--shorter beds than that one may as well get a Suburban or Explorer.

There is no way I would buy new right now.
Come to Colorado and buy used--the yuppies are abandoning their trucks/suburbans/explorers/excursions in droves........If a guy owns an Excursion right now, he may as well park it on the curb with a sign that says "Free to good home" laugh

I bought two cargo vans this spring for half of the going rate a year or so ago.

I also just bought a 1991 Chevy 3/4 ton "Light Duty" X-cab 4wd Silverado with Leer topper, and 43k original miles for $3k

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chevys have the biggest X-cabs and the easiest for entry and exit.

Not at all true.The Tundra double cab(Toyota's equivalent to the extended cab) has more interior room than the GM extended cabs,and has four real doors that all open the same way.You can get in and out of the rear without having to open the front doors.And where crew cabs are concerned,the Tundra Crew Max has more interior room than any GM pickup.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Chevys have the biggest X-cabs and the easiest for entry and exit.

Not at all true.The Tundra double cab has more interior room than the GM extended cabs,and has four real doors that all open the same way.You can get in and out of the rear without having to open the front doors.And where crew cabs are concerned,the Tundra Crew Max has more interior room than any GM pickup.

Crew Cab

Extended Cab

Apples to Oranges smile

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Get what ever trips your trigger.You already have your mind made up and are just wanting the OK to buy Jap!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crew Cab

Extended Cab

Apples to Oranges

Not at all.The Toyota double cab is simply a slightly larger extended cab with proper doors.The Crew Max is the crew cab.The Double cab has more interior room,and yet has a similar overall length to the GMC with the same sized box.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get what ever trips your trigger.You already have your mind made up and are just wanting the OK to buy Jap!!!

The Tundra is assembled in the USA,and has as many USA made parts as any other pickup.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Crew Cab

Extended Cab

Apples to Oranges

Not at all.The Toyota double cab is simply a slightly larger extended cab with proper doors.The Crew Max is the crew cab.The Double cab has more interior room,and yet has a similar wheelbase to the GMC with the same sized box.

I do like the fact the Tundra box is a "full size" shortbox.....

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They make mention of that because the GMC extended cab comes with either a sub size 5'8" shortbox or the same "full size" 78.7" shortbox.

The tundra double cab with the 78.7 " box is actually 1-1/2" shorter in overall length than a GMC with the same 78.7" box.Yet the Tundra has more interior room due to the cab forward design.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For a half ton pickup I'd pick the new tundra over any other offering. To me it's a better designed and higher quality truck all around. 3/4 ton and up obviously changes the question, but for a half ton get the tundra.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a 2001 Silverado 4wd extra cab with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears in the off road package. I never had any problems, but when I sold it to my dad, it only had 60k on it. The best mpg I got was when I drove it to St. Louis and I averaged 22mpg. Around the house it got 17-18mpg.

I recently purchased a used a 07 Dodge quad cab 2500 with the 5.9 CTD because I pull my tractor several time each year and I wanted more room for the kids. I'm averaging 19mpg with the diesel.

I love the Toyota Tundra and I drove one before deciding on the diesel. If I didn't tow such a heavy rig, then I would have gotten the Toyota, but with that said, I still can't fault you for going with the Chevy. I like the Ford F150, but after driving my friends when we went to a traditional bow shoot, I couldn't believe how much gas it used. We were getting 16mpg on the interstate.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

They make mention of that because the GMC extended cab comes with either a sub size 5'8" shortbox or the same "full size" 78.7" shortbox.

I think the 1/2 ton CC Chev has the 5 1/2 ft box, the 3/4 ton CC has the 6 1/2 and 8 ft boxes

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Toyota

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My next truck will be the full cab Tundra. I have a Dakota right now, but the extra room will be great. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.