Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I figured out that climbing up the side of a mountain to chase bulls can make a guy awful hot. I go away where from 7 to 9k up to 10+ poking around and I'd like to get my layers straightend out so I figure some of the backpackers would be able to help me out with some recommendations.

I've been using Cabelas thermals for a base layer with a micro fleece top, and possibly a poly long sleeve shirt under it.
The outer layers I use a set of either MT-50 (cabelas) rain gear, or MT-50 whitetail extreme.

Seems to me I could have a better mid layer -

Please give me some recommendations - I like trying different solutions to compare them, so recommend the high end, mid cost, and low cost solutions so I can give them a shot this year.

Thanks guys.

Spot

Spot

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure I don't know the best way, and I'm still experimenting, but I like a very thin base (capilene/merino wool) layer, and an outer layer of nylon (this is not too hot and drys well). I suppliment that with a Patagonia micropuff pull over or Montbell thermalwrap, and event rainwear. The micropuff is not suitable for outerwear as it is very fragile. I keep a big ole belay type jacket that's warm and waterproof in the pack to throw on in the SHTF situations where this lifelong Southerner just gets friggin cold.....I've seen me do stupid things when I get cold, and I try to avoid that situation.
Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm starting to prefer synthetic loft insulating wear for a mid-layer over fleece. Fleece works, but IMO, you get much more warm for the weight with things like Puffball or Montbel's stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good answers from guys that are learning the best way, by doing so.

my midlayer is either supplex nylon or in cooler temps or where weight is not an issue, Worsterlon.

imo the key is not only layering but using the layers.

if I'm going uphill or for a long hike I strip down to my baselayer and the other stuff goes in the pack along with my insulating layers.

cool fall mornings most guys don't want to strip down and shiver like a dog chitting peach seeds before setting out.

but it works

if you can't bring yourself to do that, at least stop in your hike when you start to warm up and put the stuff in your pack.

you'll still sweat while climbing, hiking, but you'll be more comfortable during it, and when you get to destination, the sweat evaporates faster, by the time you dig out your mid and insulating layers from the pack your baselayer will be pretty well dry. and your comfort will go way up ime.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1akhunter, I'm with you on just the base layer for hiking up.

Question on Down mid layers. I've never used them, but like the warmth to weight ratio of down. Are ye'all who use them finding them to get soaked with sweat at all?

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm happy with my current mountain hunting system, and it's all pretty cheap too.

Top layers:
-wicking t-shirt (mine is a synthetic clingy shirt by Jockey, bought at the retail outlet in Las Vegas of all places, dead gray color)
-expedition weight top (dead grey color offbrand, zip/mock neck)
-synthetic puffy vest (mine's by REI - thinner than most, ultralight fabric, dead brown color, primaloft insulation)
-basic fleece jacket (medium green color by REI)
-light goretex shell (Lightweight REI - dead bronze color)

Bottom layers:
-expedition weight bottoms (offbrand, dead gray color, matches top)
-nylon hiking shorts (REI, tan)
-Goretex rain pants (Patagonia Rain Shadow, sagey green color)

On the bottom, since I wear gaiters pretty much the entire time I'm in the hills to keep crap out of my boots and keep my lower legs dry, I tried going with just the shorts this year. It worked great - I stayed comfortable moving around, didn't overheat, never got sweaty wet. When the time came to sit and glass and get cold, I put on the rainpants to keep off the drizzle and wind. They have a half zip and went over my boots with a little effort. The rain pants didn't cause too much grief the few times I wore them hiking in wet high brush - they got damp inside and out, but dried quickly and the inside didn't stay wet.

On the top, 1ak is right about the pre-uphill-blitz-shiver, but I warm up quick. Nice to take off the wicking tee-shirt at the top of the hill, swab off the remaining sweat with it, tie it to your pack, and put on a bunch of dry warm layers. It gets washed and wrung out as opportunity presents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last time I was miserable was in the Brooks Range, when I'd just bought some of the Rivers West gear, and was wearing both pants and jacket in an uphill death march. I was pouring sweat, and stripped down to the ultralight wool layer and eVent rain jacket and soon was happy. Haven't had that RW gear on since. It might be ideal to sit in a deer stand or duck blind, live and learn.
Don

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm slowly replacing my synthetic capiline and fleece mid layers with merino wool, but this year will be it's first real test (1st rifle in CO). However, during some training hikes, it seems to breathe a lot better than my old synthetics when it's warmer, but still feels like it will add a nice warm layer when the mercury drops. One other plus is that it doesn't pick up that synthetic stink on day one and you won't burn holes in it on the drying line by the fire. Weight and bulk are about equal to a 100wt fleece top. I bought Icebreaker brand and the bodyfit260 weight seems ideal for fall elk hunting. Smartwool is another choice and I think Cabelas has started to carry some merino shirts as well.

As for my other layers, I take a Mountain Hardware synthetic Chugach jacket (20oz and very compressible), a Marmot Precip shell (9oz) and a lightweight Mountain Hardware windstopper fleece vest (10oz) . It has always served me well during 1st rifle season in Co, but I'd probably beef up my shell layer a bit for the later seasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me, personally, have/had been doing things slightly different. I would often wear an Under Armour HeatGear sleeveless shirt as my baselayer to keep the core warm, then a lightweight shirt over top. If it was real cold, I'd throw a midweight polypropylene over top to take off some chill. I'd normally wear a Gore-Tex/Dry-Plus jacket over top. For me, I would often use the Gore Tex as a 'layer', or rather to skip a layer, since I generate a lot of heat typically and the lack of breathability would help to insulate me. However, I'm changing my routine, as I'd get froze to the bones once I took off my jacket, from being wet with sweat.

This year I intend on trying a short sleeve merino tee, with some sort of lightweight synthetic shirt, then another heavier shirt, with a fleece vest on top. I'd like to get a down vest but, the area I hunt in firearms season is filled with briars, and I don't want to tear it to pieces.

When I bowhunt, I'll throw a light fleece jacket in typically for when I sit down. With any luck, I'll be wearing a 90% jacket instead, providing it fits.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've had bad luck with synthetic base layers; too much stink after a long hike. A smart wool base layer has worked best for me. Less funk, feels better on my skin, and less of a chill after stopping. Downsides include higher $$, less durable, and harder to find in stores.

In addition I carry a mid-weight fleece pullover and soft shell jacket. If it looks like rain I will add a light weight rain coat. With cold weather, I throw my WM Flight Jacket in for large-scale-light-weight insulation.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wife and I are happy so far with silk as baselayer, then merino wool as mid layer/layers, and nylon outer layer, like the fishing pants/shirts, they have good vents and even zip off pants to vent at the knees as needed.

We carry 2 layers of wool, generally wearing one. And take a wool jacket for top warmth.

Marmot Precip rain gear. And some handwarmers to cover all bases, and if the emergency hit while away from the tent/bag, we have a 1 pound synthetic bag as emergency for legs etc...

Jeff

PS with all that a good ole southern boy can stay warm most times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The easiest part of a layering system to change while hunting is the hat. I wear a velcro adjustable ball cap that will fit over and under my wool watch cap and carry a light balaclava. When climbing the watch cap comes off, when sitting the watch cap goes on. If it's cold it's rolled over my ears and maybe I put on the light balaclava.
For a cheap but effective midlayer, I sometimes use an oversized military zip T polypro top. It's very durable and cheap. For colder weather I use a feathered friends down sweater/jacket (Helios?). It weighs less than a fleece top but is much, much, much warmer. it's not durable enough without a shell over it though.
I don't take my shell off much but I do unzip the main zipper and pit zips before I get too warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start out with thin polypro and your camies. If its ultra cold you can put yor gore tex on to stop wind bleed if you have good vening on it. Freeze like bugger till you start humping, then you can sweat without compromising your insulating layers.

After you arive at your stand/ridge/tree then I strip off my outer layers and even my base thermals if they got soaked, which is rare. Then layer up your upper body as needed with lightweight polypro, expedition polypro, field jacket liner, fleece jacket usually in that order as temps dip. I put my cammies on over that and goretex over that (if needed).

On Bottom, I tend to only use light Polypro, then cammies and then goretex as its a pain to strip your legs.

As you alread

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Alot depends on the temperature ranges. When it's warm, say a high of 80 plus, but a low of the 40's, I start out with a fleece hat, and gloves, with a desert camo mil surplus pants. Augmented with Gore-Tex gaitors worn loose if needed for warmth. My top half usually gets a Lt WT. Capliene base with a nylon shirt.
The first to come off are the cap and gloves. Followed by the Capliene base layer. On goes a light baseball cap.
If it's really cold, say down in the 0-the teens, then I wear the same gaitors but the pants are wool. Whipcord or heavy 24 oz. Cabela's, Filson 32 oz. weight, etc. Usually a base layer of medium weight Capliene. Sometimes even a slikweight and a medium weight Capliene.
Top layers are always Patagonia Capliene first for moisture control. Sometimes a Merino wool base layer on that, but usually not. My Merino Wool base stuff simply does not keep me nearly as dry as my Capliene base stuff. Warmer, yes. But I have other tops for that. Those are Patagonia Regiulator Fleece. Far superior to the Cabela's or Polartec fleece I've used. None of that can pass moisture like the Patagonia Regulator Fleece can.
I usually use a Patagonia Rain Shadow Parka for a shell. But have used others. The shell, unless it's windy, is the first to go into the pack. After that, the heavier, outer layers of insulation. Not at all unusual for me to be climbing in the bright sun with nothing but my base layer on my top.
Head gear again can go from a warm Patagonia Fleece top, to a light baseball cap.
The cardinal rule is don't let yourself get wet. If you do, and that can happen, you must have clothing on that passes moisture rapidly. That's why I swear by Patagonia's Capliene and their Regulator Fleece. Wool is fine for pant material. I own and use lots of it. But not as a base layer or for insulation.
BTW, I make sure I have pack big enough to handle all of this if I need to peel off my layers.
I use and like the Patagonia Puff/ Micro Puff and DAS clothing. But none of it do I wear when on the move. If you get it wet, it will not dry nearly fast enough to be of use when you need it. I only use it when I'm sitting on a break or for glassing. E

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Lightweight Merino for the base always. Lightweight Merino is the key. Too heavy and you will over heat. I'll add a wind jacket such as a Mont-Bell or a soft shell if needed. Gore-Tex or similar hard shell is carried but seldom used.

If more warmth is desired, the Mont-Bell Thermawrap is tops for warmth to weight and the Patagonia Micropuff garments are good too. I have soked the Thermawrap clothing as well and it will dry as you wear it and still be warm. (As long as you get out of the rain)

I don't bother with fleece any more except around a cabin. Too heavy and bulkiy for the warmth for me. Regulator isn't as heavy or bulky as others but I'd still go with a Thermawrap. Same with the heavier wools. Great stuff but more weight/warmth.

I have often found with a light weight Merino top I can go all day without adding a layer with temps into th the 20's - 30's if the wind doesn't pick up too much. Even in the rain. many times I have just wore the Merino top in the rain and I stay warm but damp. If the rain is intermitant, you can just walk the Merino dry. Merino takes a suprisingly short time to dry when worn. It will take much longer to hang dry.

The right base layer will go a long ways to providing comfort.

Lots of people prefer capilene or similar synthetic, but for me Merino is the only base layer I'll use.

Ed T

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I did use a light wool shirt last year with good results.

Where are some of the places a guy can get a decent lightwieght upper as you guys are talking about.

Aka - where's a good place to shop.

Spot

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed T, hit the mark with his lightweight reco

I'm sometimes at the cabin when it's -30 or colder, I've got expedition polypro that I never wear.

fall and early winter hunting I like the lightest weight baselayer I can find.

not always easy to find, use to be a company that made synthetics (Alaska Wear) had a lightweight version, I've still a little bit of it not in tatters. loved that stuff even though I got stinky in it fast.

I've not bought any Icebreaker in the 250-260 wt. all 150 for me, otherwise I burn up.

even riding a snowmachine if you ride it like you should you're all over the thing, can get too warm fast.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If it's cool and dry, I'll wear a short sleeved synthetic t-shirt and Pearl Izumi arm warmers. I can pull off the arm warmers and tuck them into my pack's hip belt as I warm up. For pants, depending on how cool or cold it is,I'll wear either shorts or convertible pants with a lightweight set of long underwear. If it's the shorts I'll also have some gaiters in the pack if I need them. Once I get to my glassing spot, I'll change t-shirts, put on my Snugpak Sleeka jacket and pull out my little quilt from Mountain Laurel Designs to keep my legs warm. In colder weather I'll wear Microtex pants and a wool sweater. I like the sweater a lot. It breathes really well so I won't overheat while hiking in it and if I put a shell on over it I'm toasty warm.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I would think the wool base layer would be itchy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.