-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember them all. Got to shake hands with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. Have a bad memory of Hopalong Cassidy. He was at the Houston Rodeo sometime in the early 50s. He came out in the spotlight in the arena and got off his horse. He was supposed to give his little speach and then get back on and ride off.

Well Sir, he durn near fell out of the saddle and the speach he gave was gibberish and he was so flannel mouth from deamon rum you could not understand him. He was also too drunk to get back up in the saddle and fell on his azz trying. sick In the spotlight in the middle of the arena.

All we kids though he was just sick or something. grin

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Songbird is the correct name of the plane.

I do believe it was Nabisco as the sponsor.

The original plane was IIRC a twin engine Cessna made of wood and fabric that eventually fell apart and was replaced with a more modern metal one.

Right on both counts. This kid knows his Sky King!!!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't remember the actors name now but he was a pilot and did most of the flying and in fact I think he owned the plane.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OH WOW, I'm feeling young, thanks folks. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heck I still remember the Flash Gordon serials at the movies!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am from a different era. My childhood saw the dissassembling of the western starting with the Clint Eastwood, "Man with No Name" series and pretty much having The Wild Bunch drive the last nail in the coffin.

My boy watches Roy Rogers on DVD every day. He asked me today if Roy Rogers was really dead, like his sister told him...

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I believe Sky King flew a UC-78. (IIRC)

Because, as a kid, I sent them a letter asking what kind of plane he flew and the next year in the credits it said that he flew a UC-78. (IIRC)

They must have gotten a lot of letters about it.

Wikipedia says it was a T-50, same as a UC-78 , but the program said UC-78. Later he flew a Cessna 310.

Last edited by g5m; 09/19/08.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of late I been watching "Have Gun, Will Travel" on the internet. CBS has them all on line. The internet has some uses after all. Hollywood killed the Western, for some reason Heroic Myth when out of style. Along with just plain Right and Wrong. Its hard to think that John Wayne will be gone thirty years in a few months. Where did the time go?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My memories of the oaters began with Saturday morning TV. I can still vividly recall the sounds of hoofs pounding and guns barking.

Many of the boys (no girls allowed) in the neighborhood gathered at our house to watch, as Mom often had a batch of cookies in the oven. I, and the rest of the "buckaroos" gathered around the old Admiral black and white, thought that Gene Autry was a bit of a panzy....no real cowboy would be signing songs to a girl. Roy made more sense, as he sang to his horse sometimes, a thing more in line with what a "real" cowboy would do.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How about "Range Rider" on Saturday? Jock Mahoney and Dick Jones.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The hippies of the '60s killed the western. They didn't want to hear about values like courage and loyalty while they were setting at home smoking dope and getting laid as their classmates were being killed and coming home with no legs from Vietnam.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a bit of trivia. Which on of the actors was the youngest DI in Marine Corps History (he was 17 at the time)? Scroll down on the link to see it.

Answer

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I am old enough to remember every name and face. I am not sure if that is good or bad. Nice link too, thanks

Yep.
Watched all of them as a LITTLE kid and up through high school.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Awesome link. I remember all those folks also, so I guess that puts me in with the rest of the ancient ones on here. grin

Many thanks for posting this link. With all the political yapping going on these days it's great to see something like this occasionally to remember the good days while growing up and politics were the furthest thing from our minds.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
The hippies of the '60s killed the western. They didn't want to hear about values like courage and loyalty while they were setting at home smoking dope and getting laid as their classmates were being killed and coming home with no legs from Vietnam.

Ethan:

It was the pre-hippy generation that did it. Clint Eastwood, for one, was 38 in 1968, the Summer of Love. Most definitely, not a hippy.

Many of the Hollywood directors and writers active during the 60s were young adults during the 50s and late 40s. Many were older than that.

- Tom

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We were out on OP-8A on Fort Bragg, out in the field to throw away some ammo for end of the year, when a roach coach came up and stopped. Naturally, after a week of C rations, we RAN to the roach coach, and the driver told us John Wayne had died.
That sure made the "fine dining" taste pretty sour after that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards

That's a pretty wild statement. Western survived into the sixties Westerns.

Tastes change. Suppose we can blame the hippies for the demise of the variety show as well?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by g5m
How about "Range Rider" on Saturday? Jock Mahoney and Dick Jones.

When I was a "kid" they came to Pittsburgh when I was there visiting my relatives with my parents.
I still remember the show , free too if I remember right. There was a big bonfire and Jock jumped through the flames as his entrance. Dick Jones, well, umm.. ran around the fire, but actually by then it was really quite a fire. I forgave him.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They came to my grade school, too. It was really special for the kids. Very exciting.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember most of them. The big thing of it was that they were hero's and got the bad guy which was a very good thing.

Later cowboy movies got too complicated and they included other issues. Those old movies were the great days.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,958
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.