Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
. . . .I hope I'm wrong, but it appears we're gravitating away from the North American model towards the European model, replete with regulations, restrictions of opportunity, and exclusivity. None of which encourage hunter recruitment, retention, or the continuation of the type of hunting unique to this continent.
You are 100% correct. I think we'll be there in 10 to 20 years.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That doesn't mean I'll roll over and give up or not do what I can to prevent it though.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Whether there are more of less hunters here in Oregon, one thing is a reality... there is a lot less game animals..

we can thank F & W and also thank all of our liberal non hunting citizens, who effectively banned cougar hunting... and after banning it, have still be able to keep it so regulated that cougars in Oregon.. and wolves to a bigger extent than folks want to acknowledge.. have decimated once large deer and elk herds...

a few gentlemen piped in from up Enterprise Way... as I understand it, back in the early 70s, the number of elk taken out of that area was phenominal.. and didn't make a dent in the elk herd numbers... now elk are so decimated by predators, the number taken in a season, rivals what use to be taken by noon on opening day years ago... same with Mule Deer...

all of this has happened on the watch of F & W...

criticizing F & W may offend some people, but I an open to anyone showing how they have improved a Dam Thing in the last 20 years...

even when I moved to Oregon in 1995 from MN, the number of deer around my town was unbelievable...

last season, some Cougar killed 6 to 10 sheep over a couple of nights in a small pasture, on someone's 10 acres of property, which is about a block from a major super markets parking lot. and right within city limits..

people speak of Wolves at Yellowstone and being reintroduced...

heck I have seen four or five wolves in the last 3 years, here in western Oregon..

of course F & W doesnt' want us to shoot those "magnificent creatures"... it would offend our liberal residents in Metro Portland, Salem and Eugene.. and lets not forget our own liberal island of insanity down here in Ashland...

having city people regulate hunting and fishing regulations is about as stupid as bringing in rural Farmers to dictate traffic problem solutions to metro areas...

neither one has a clue of where to start...

here in Oregon, it is perfectly okay for folks in Portland to dictate to the rest of us that occupy the other 99.5 % of the land in the state...but heaven forbid anyone in the rest of the state tell them what to do...

Oregon F & W, is a corrupt organization that their only focus is revenue generation, and the use of natural resources and folks' desire to use and harvest those resources, as a platform to do so..

and they get away with it, because they keep the metro liberals all happy.. so they keep getting voted back in...hence the corruption...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The biggest reason actually has nothing to do with the cost of hunting or lack of game. Its simply that with the decline of a rural society & large urban population growth most young men & women don't get the exposure to guns & the outdoors. Of course, the price of hunting, less available public land, & indeed the decline of game populations on many public areas all contribute to the decline. Hunting in many countries in Europe is quite good & a sizable number of the population participates. I have hunted in the UK quite a bit & many small land owners hunt & others pay a modest fee to hunt. I live in the East & most of the hunters here complain about the high cost of NR licenses to hunt out West even if on Federal land. This is another topic that will remain unchanged as more & more Western states go to a market driven NR license fee like Montana. A NR would pay over $1000 for a guaranteed license. As long as the 2500 NR licenses sell Montana will continue to escalate prices. None of the F & G regulations referenced in Oregon & other states are good for the future of hunting. Most state legislatures have & are being pressured to place anti-hunters on their F & G boards. Some of the nonsense we see stems from this influence.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I thought I would post this...

This is a reply to the F & W's site comment line...

Dear Mr. " Seafire" :

We are sorry for your difficultly regarding the first time youth hunting applications; it is not our intent to make it confusing and frustrating to our customers.

We do offer first time youth tags for hunters aged 12-17, but because demand exceeds supply, we need to offer them through a controlled hunt process. That process is outlined on page 18 of the Oregon Big Game Regulations and the application is on page 19. (It is a complex process; we will review the regulation description to see if we can make it more understandable in next year�s regulations.)

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/2008gamewebnoads.pdf

Basically, youth age 12-17 who have not drawn a 100, 200 or 600 series tag that they applied for by the controlled hunt deadline of May 15 can apply for a first time youth hunt. These applications are accepted between July 1 and Sept. 1. The cost to apply for a controlled hunt is $4.50 but there is no additional cost to apply for this first time hunt program. Each youth is eligible to receive up to three tags: one buck deer, one antlerless deer and one antlerless elk.

We agree making hunting less costly for youth and families is very important. We hope to offer a $50 youth Sportspac in 2010 (the proposal must be approved by the 2009 Oregon State Legislature). This Juvenile Sports Pac would include all the tags in an adult version (hunting/ fishing license, deer, elk, bear, spring turkey, cougar, upland game bird validation, waterfowl validation, combined angling harvest card) plus a shellfish license.

We already offer free hunting and angling licenses to disabled war veterans and Pioneers (age 65 and older, 50-year resident of Oregon) as well as reduced cost elk tags for war veterans and Pioneers ($18 not $34.50). We will continue to do so.

Thank you,

Michelle D.

ODFW Comments

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (257 mag, 160user, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 21, 1936M71, 27 invisible), 12,520 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,165
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.