Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm beginning to assemble the pieces of what will become a custom Dakota #10 and need to decide on a metalsmith and stockmaker. I know who to go to for bolt actions (Have a Biesen and an Erhardt in the safe, with a Soverns on the way), but this will be my first single shot.

Recommendations and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Please note that I have NO interest in any other single shot action other than the Dakota.

Thanks All!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steven Dodd Hughes or James Anderson

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think it is hard to get on Hughes' list, but a call to him might yield other interesting opportunities. Anderson might be worth a call, since he worked at Dakota.

The ACGG website has their member directory organized by specialty, and they list about 20 under single shots.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I talked to Steve a few years ago about a rifle. I don't think it's too awful hard to talk him into doing one but,,,,,, All the man builds is top flight rifles. I think about $12-$13K was the price.

Terry

PS. If you ever hire the man to build you a rifle make sure a photo session of the gun is included in the price! The man is one of the best rifle photographers I've ever seen.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Reto Buehler in Oregon would be hard to beat. rbrifleearthlink.net
He also builds a single shot break open that is just out of this world. I believe he builds the receivers also.
A very kind and gentle person.
Butch

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Duane Wiebe is considered one of the best.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
TC1-Heilmann is a fine make, although a bit out of my price range.

butch-Thanks, I'll contact him.

Ready- I have Duane in mind for a G33/40 I have planned down the road.

I've been in touch with James Anderson who seems to have quite a bit of experience with the Dakota 10. He is the stockmaker on the Dakota 10s in Turpin's Modern Custom Guns, and is certified in both metal and wood by the ACGG.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
James Anderson has done work for me and it was outstanding. Duane Weibe has no flies on him either. Both are very good.
Butch

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Several premier names have already been mentioned but I'd like to offer one more for consideration. Don Klein of Ripon, Wisconsin is as good as they get and single shot rifles are his specialty. Don built a 257 Roberts for me on a Dakota #10 action. The rifle is an absolute beauty, but I still kick myself for not having used a Hagn action. Don doesn't build many rifles and you rarely see one of his rifles on the secondary market. Nonetheless, those in the know, know his talents well.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Forrest: Klein is interesting, however after doing some research it seems as though his specialty is blackpowder muzzle loaders? Single shots I realize, but not quite what I was looking for.

Specifically I'm interested in someone who specializes in single shots, rather than someone who takes on a varity of actions. You know the saying....Jack of all trades, master of none.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Reto Buehler's single shots are top lever with Purdey underbite. You can get single or double set triggers, express sights, Rigby patent fore arm release. The receivers are CNC machined with hand finishing. Most rimmed calibers are available from 7X57R to 600Nitro.
Butch

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Forrest: Klein is interesting, however after doing some research it seems as though his specialty is blackpowder muzzle loaders? Single shots I realize, but not quite what I was looking for.

Specifically I'm interested in someone who specializes in single shots, rather than someone who takes on a varity of actions. You know the saying....Jack of all trades, master of none.

Don has built some of everything but there is no one in the ACGG more specialized in modern single shots than he is. I don't think Don has built more than a very few flintlock rifles - they are certainly not his specialty. www.donkleincustomguns.com

My short list of single shot builders (in no particular order) would include:
Steven Dodd Hughes
Ralf Martini
Adolph Hagn (won't build on a Dakota though)
Don Klein
Hartmann & Weiss (won't build on a Dakota though)
Duane Wiebe

Every one of these guys could accurately be described as a master of many trades.

An interesting undertaking would be to call ten of the best craftsmen in the Guild and ask them who, other than themselves, would they choose to build a single shot rifle for their personal use. My bet is that the three names most often mentioned would be: Martini & Hagn, Don Klein and Steven Dodd Hughes.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Forrest, I'll give Mr. Klein a call.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.