-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have faith that I will win the lottery some day, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the Sun, in which they put a man called Christ in the place of the Sun, and pay him the adoration originally payed to the Sun.

Thomas Paine 1737-1809.
Who the hell is this character?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by Plinker
And for the faithless, no evidence is good enough.

Its a catchy phrase, but means nothing, there is no evidence thats why its called faith.
Actually there is lots and lots of evidence. Read Evidence that Demands a Verdict, by Josh McDowell. But I doubt you will, because no evidence will be good enough if your mind is set against any.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed, that's why I believe in Bigfoot and the Easter bunny also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Mag. If we were created in God's image or resemblance then he must also be confused since we seem to have all that trait.

Explain further please.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've been in some places of worship that only have the Roman torture device behind the alter(for sacrificing on)without the dead body on it also.
Did you also see some chairs or benches? How about some candles and candlestick holders? Walls, ceilings, floors or windows?

None of them were graven images either.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Agreed, that's why I believe in Bigfoot and the Easter bunny also.
We know.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can give you a list of books that will show you the light of Bigfoot.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can give you a list of books that will show you the light of Bigfoot.
Who reads these days?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bigfoot reads.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

You have no idea what I believe other than I don�t believe you lend any credence to the notion of a higher power. As far as being in a certain class of believers, or sharing a subset of beliefs � you�re guessing.

Very true. But then my critiques may not have been directed at you.

I wasn�t here when Christ delivered the parables. One small part of what I believe is we don�t have the capacity to understand God. He has passed along messages and wisdom that we can understand, but anyone who professes to have the answers is guessing, and as such dilutes and harms the message.

Unfortunately, there are plenty that do claim to understand, and they want to cram their own particular 'understanding' down others throats.

More judgment of your fellow man? Or will you cloak it in terms of �observations� and drawing inferences from those �observations?� It really doesn�t matter. You�ve set it up where everyone fits in a nice little cubby, labeled with their particular flaw, and you�re above it all with the answers if only we would listen.

Of course it's judgement. But it is a precept of Christianity that one shouldn't judge not a dicta of debate. I am pointing out the hypocrisy of those Christians who quote passages like Luke 6:37 and then go about and judge everyone they meet, weighing them against their own personal view of Christianity. More classic example are John 8:7 or Matt 7:5. These are favorite quotations, but rare indeed is the Christian who actually practices them.

I found this quote particularly revealing, however.

but anyone who professes to have the answers is guessing, and as such dilutes and harms the message.

Most people here are professing to have the answers, are happy to share them and they get quite upset of you don't agree.

Unfortunately, this debate is descending into a personal conflict, which was never my intent. I meant to debate ideas, and if I have offended I apologize. Religion, like politics, is composed of deeply held beliefs and it is easy to arouse deeply held beliefs are critiqued or challenged.

Certainly no one is going to have their mind changed, and when the conversation becomes and exchange of personal barbs (and I am as guilty as anyone) it ceases to serve any purpose whatsoever.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is also factual evidence that the story of Jesus was a Roman story developed politically with Social control in mind. Constantine and his henchmen circa 325 AD convened and layed out the Christian Doctrine. A spiritual fraud was developed and enforced by the Vatican throughout the ages.

I've read the bible probably 6 times cover to cover and spent years studying and the more I researched the more confused I became. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in a God and the commandments, but I'm a little skeptical about the Jesus story.
Of the 16 noted Historians of that 500 year section not one word is recorded about the miracles or life of Jesus as written in the bible. He actually doesn't historically exist. How could that be, that a human can walk on water, multiply sardines by the thousands, turn water into wine, raise the dead, cure the blind and cripples is not even recorded in any history books?

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting views fellas.
Book of the Dead: " I have done away sin for thee and not acted fraudulently or deceitfully. I have not belittled God. I have not inflicted pain or caused another to weep. I have not purloined (held back) the offerings to the gods. I have not stolen. I have not uttered lies or curses.

Exodus 20:7-16: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain... Thou shalt not kill. Thou salt not commit adultery... Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

One major difference between the two documents is that statues of the Gods were a major part of the ancient Egyptian religion. The religion of the Hebrews forbade images or statues of Yahweh. Another difference was the Decalogue's emphasis on the Sabbath. The day of rest.
The book of the Dead was written circa 1800 BC. The Hebrew exodus from Egypt and the provision of the 10 commandments (Moses)on Mount Sinai in 1491 BC.
But other reference that I have researched speak of the Summerian culture and their influence on the Egyptians-some hundreds of years earlier.
We seem to have aligned our religion with the Ancient Egyptians since our Churches and places of worship are filled with statues.

It's also interesting to note the Commandments were place on stone tablets. It's a powerful image, but with a historical underpinning. The Code of Hammurabi was circulated throughout the empire on baked clay tablets establishing the idea that Royal (ultimate) law is graven in stone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point because the Summerians wrote on clay tablets and then baked them because 5000 years ago there was no paper.
I mean if I was Moses I would rather pack some paper down that mountain rather than 50 pound tablets since he was already 300 years old at that time.
Same goes for mountain rifles versus my 12 pound weatherby.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hunters/shooters are always looking for a name for their favorite lead-slingers. MOSES is perfect for that heavy Weatherby!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Josephus mentions Him.

Testimonium Flavianum
The following passage appears in the Greek version of Antiquities of the Jews xviii 3.3, in the translation of William Whiston:

� 3.3 Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

Others do too. Of course many are Christian writers, and that their writing is not considered suitable evidence speaks to the bigotry held by many hating all things Christian. Such thought would also preclude the hieroglyfics of Egypt as evidence addressing their culture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hats off to you sir for your research but that has been proven a forgery for hundreds of years. Dig a little more and you will see that I was right. I also studied this document. There also 3 other Greeks who mentioned Christ in their writngs but the words translate to "annointed one" or christus. The annointing was done to Pharaohs and high priests so really doesn't have anything to do with Jesus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GPA
Hunters/shooters are always looking for a name for their favorite lead-slingers. MOSES is perfect for that heavy Weatherby!

Actually the Moses story comes from the Summerian Sargon of Akah circa 2250 BC.
1. Placed in a basket
2. Set adrift on a river.
3. To avoid enfanticide.
4. Rescued by and raised by Royalty.

Thanks GPA- I will now baptise my Bee to Moses and annoint it with gun oil.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same goes for mountain rifles versus my 12 pound weatherby.

I finally saw the light this year. I've been hunting with either my M1a or my 14 pound 40X. This year I built a 6.5 Grendel on a CZ-527 that weigh around 7 pounds with a walnut stock an #5 barrel. I wish someone made a light, reasonably priced hunter style synthetic stock for it. I bet I could shave another pound off.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The "proof" you refer to is totally hypothetical. It has been contested in the 20th century.

Then there is Josephus's reference to Jesus in his account of the trial of James, where he refers to James as the brother of Jesus, rather than as the son of........, as was the practice in that day. Obviously, the relationship to Jesus was much more important than that of his father in Josephus's mind.

Believe what you will, and disbelieve what you won't.

Last edited by RickyD; 09/24/08.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tod
Originally Posted by Thunderstick

How about responding to a former request to provide us your set of evidence criteria for evaluating the character of ancient documents as to whether or not they are credible? What is basis from which you have drawn your conclusions that the scriptures are not authentic or inspired?

Those are two different questions, if I understand you correctly. When you say inspired, do you mean inspired by other works, or inspired by God. If the latter, is is not possible to prove the matter one way or the other.

When you say 'credible' do you mean the documents themselves or the content?

Finally, are you requesting a set of criteria I would use to determine that scriptures was physically, scientifically and literally accurate.

The thread title asks the question, "Is the scripture true or not?" If you answer that question in the negative, the justification for that position will need to be in two parts and in this order:
1. Are the documents authentic historically? Is their evidence that they were written in the relative time-frame claimed by them and are the extent copies an accurate reflection of the original writings.

2. If those documents are authentic historically, do they have evidence of divine inspiration.

I know you are smart enough to understand this. There is no point in discussing inspiration if the documents are not historically authentic. Evidence for divine inspiration is examined on the basis of whether it contains accurate information which exceeds the contemporary knowledge of the men of times in which it was written.

Any meaningful dialogue on this thread topic will need to engage these two issues. In order to engage them you first need set up the laws of evidence by which you make the determination. I am asking you what criteria you used when you did your research and affirmed a negative to the inspiration of the scriptures. If you don't have the criteria, it would indicate that as of yet you have not performed a careful investigation.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 09/24/08.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (44mc, 06hunter59, 320090T, 01Foreman400, 270wsmnutt, 300jimmy, 26 invisible), 14,167 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,972
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.