Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RAS
Wish they were making a Fwt in 250. (never happen)

Amen Brother. I'd drive to South Carolina to get one of them..

Pix of the new Model 70.

[Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by vigillinus
Wish they had kept the old trigger.

+ times 1,000...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by RAS

Wish they were making a Fwt in 250. (never happen)

You and me both.

Buy a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts!Same thing and the Kimber will be lighter.Except for the trigger,the Kimber is a lot like a M70,especially as made today.

Bought a Kimber .308 off the campfire a year ago with intentions of rebarreling to .250, but it shoots so well I hate to mess with it, have thought about one in .257 as well, only I already have a Ruger, but I guess that could be my backup Bob....so many guns, so little time.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
No range reports for us yet on any of these?

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "french whorehouse stock" is actually pretty nice in my opinion, I have literally owned dozens. they handle well and dont add a bunch of weight. make one in a 250? now likely but I just bough a fwt compact and sent it to douglas, along with $400, and it came back in a very nice 250. my kids are 10+ deer counting with that rifle, all one-shot kills, so we are quite fond of it...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The "french whorehouse stock" is actually pretty nice in my opinion, I have literally owned dozens.

That's the beauty of options! We're all different... to me it's one of the ugliest stocks ever to come down the pike.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now I see why you sold that sweet feather weight smile

I too think its sexy but only in supergrade smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Do they still have the French Whorehouse stock with Schnabel?
HA HA HA I thought I was the only one. The curly que checkering always seemed ....kinda......frenchy....whorehousey to me too but I do love the Schnabel......Schnobel?????

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
shocked

GASP!!

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still amazed at the sudden allegience. Most people scoffed at the M70's, especially the last few years. Now suddenly they are the second coming?

This reminds me of how Simmons was junk, then they released the "Master Series" and lots of people were excited. Then they realized that the new ones were still junk.

Why would anyone pay $200 more for a new M70, than a Ruger Hawkeye?

(flame suit ready)...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Now I see why you sold that sweet feather weight smile

HA! When I buy a SS Fwt, the first thing to go onto ebay is the stock smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
HA HA HA I thought I was the only one. The curly que checkering always seemed ....kinda......frenchy....whorehousey to me too but I do love the Schnabel......Schnobel?????

I like the Schnabel too, and definitely like the overall stock shape... it's just that disgusting checkering pattern that really hangs me up... laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
shocked

I've got 3 of em...... frown

I like em.... but then again.... I aint got no problems with a french whore either.... grin

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

(flame suit ready)...

Different strokes... the Hawkeye, especially in stainless, is one heck of a hard-duty hunting rifle, with a bunch of great features at a great price. BUT, having owned a boatful of Rugers, they're sort of crude in the finish department IMO, and they're hard to trick out in a lightweight fiberglass handle (not many options).

The M70 stock and bottom metal can be sent down the ebay river and one can be in to an M70 SS Fwt for the price of a Ruger, and it can be put in a McMillan Edge.

Or a guy can just buy a Kimber Montana and have a rifle better than either...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I like em.... but then again.... I aint got no problems with a french whore either.... grin

Well, have never patronized a whorehouse, but have seen a few French whores in the native country and it weren't pretty... grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
And I am not denying a M70, isn't a solid design. I just remember that last couple years, all people did is rip on them, and calling them junk. They went under, and all of the sudden, everyone was sad.

Seemed like any M70 built after 1964 wasn't respected, until now.

Won't argue about the lack of goodies for Rugers, and I hate their ring system.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Still amazed at the sudden allegiance. Most people scoffed at the M70's, especially the last few years. Now suddenly they are the second coming?

This reminds me of how Simmons was junk, then they released the "Master Series" and lots of people were excited. Then they realized that the new ones were still junk.

(flame suit ready)...

I have always like the model 70. I tend to buy them up when people just cant get them to shoot. Most will end up as customs anyway but I have yet to find one that a few tweaks will get to shoot. I just built my 25-06AI on a 1965 PF.

I'm glad to see them back with such popularity so they will flood the market and may make the prices come down a bit. That said I like rugers too and have couple of those as well. The 70 actions I have are always a bit tighter then the ruger. The rugers sure do what they were made for though and quite good.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh, well.... I guess the imaginary ones in my head are ok.... but I'll have to take your word for it on the real ones. grin

Sell me a fwt stock so I can cut it for my boy. He just a li'l guy & the fwt i gave him is a little long, I set the scope back an inch with some offsets but the stock could stand to be cut.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1

I like the Schnabel too, and definitely like the overall stock shape... it's just that disgusting checkering pattern that really hangs me up... laugh

That is one of the many things I like about the McMillan FWT stock-no checkering!!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The bottom metal(Williams?) was very nice and a one-piece unit,and had gold embossed "Special Edition" on it.

We made the floorplate and extractor, but the trigger guard itself is aluminum and being produced by another vendor for FN.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,485
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.