Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I have all 3 and like all 3. My favorite of the 3 is an old 280 700 Mountain rifle. It looks like the new CDL in a trimmer package.

yea wish Remington would chamber the CDL in 280 and 308. First year the CDL came out it was offered in 280 but not anymore.

Clos

NRA Life Member

HR IC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I remember correctly the 280 Mountain rifle set sales records for Remington or the 280 sold more than the 270 or 06 in the Mountain Rifle. I would think the CDL would be natural place for the 280. Ruger and Weatherby chamber it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the least experience with the model 70. I have several 700s and they all shoot quite well. I have two Ruger MKII rifles. One of the Rugers is the best deal I ever got (free). I won a MKII in .280 and I have fallen in love with it. It will not shoot .5 groups, but It will shoot into an inch with it's favorite load. I like both makes of guns and would be torn to make a choice if I had to pick a brand today.

DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like the Remington, but that's because I have been using them so long, that I feel comfortable with them and have confidence in them.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BigBoreFan
I have the least experience with the model 70. I have several 700s and they all shoot quite well. I have two Ruger MKII rifles. One of the Rugers is the best deal I ever got (free). I won a MKII in .280 and I have fallen in love with it. It will not shoot .5 groups, but It will shoot into an inch with it's favorite load. I like both makes of guns and would be torn to make a choice if I had to pick a brand today.

I don't know if you're interested in making the Ruger 280 into a .5" rifle, but I think it's doable.
With my 77, I scrubbed the bore good with JB Bore Paste, did a trigger job on it, and sanded out that lump Ruger has in the fore end to free float the barrel. No glass bedding, just the above tweeks. Mine put three shots into 9/16" the first time out, which was fine for me without any load developing at all. I could probably get 1/2" if I worked on the load, but I'm real happy with it as is. That group was shot with a Leupy 4x scope.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
None of the above. I never was a part of the "herd mentality." Never owned a 700 or 77. Bought a 70 once out of curiosity, got rid of it pretty quick. All good guns, just that over 40 years of gun-looniness I always marched to the beat of a different drummer- (non modern) single shots, Mauser sporters, Mannlichers, Savage 99's, etc. Of course, I've also only owned a couple of American cars out of the 20 or so I've had. Not snobbery, I just get a lot of satisfaction out of doing things differently. Why tote the same shootin' iron as most everybody else does? Dare to be different!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first centerfire was a 700ADL in .270Win (per Jack O'Conner)with a Weaver K4 and Redfield mount and rings out the door for $156. It's in my cabinet. I have had lots since and lately my passion seems to run more for Howa's and Weatherby Vanguards. I have a Ruger #1 in .270Wby or a Ruger 77 full stock in .243 that may be my favorites and a Howa SS/Syn in 7mmWSM for my knockaround, go-to rifle. Good luck.

My Sav 99's are favorites, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
None of the above. I never was a part of the "herd mentality." Never owned a 700 or 77. Bought a 70 once out of curiosity, got rid of it pretty quick. All good guns, just that over 40 years of gun-looniness I always marched to the beat of a different drummer- (non modern) single shots, Mauser sporters, Mannlichers, Savage 99's, etc. Of course, I've also only owned a couple of American cars out of the 20 or so I've had. Not snobbery, I just get a lot of satisfaction out of doing things differently. Why tote the same shootin' iron as most everybody else does? Dare to be different!

Picking a readily available, dependable and affordable product that does the intended job, often in a superb manner, is not necessarily an example of �herd mentality�. To me it makes more sense than picking a product just because it is �different�.

Only one Mauser sporter, a pre-war 98 with �Berlin� stamped on the receiver, has ever caught my eye, and I passed on it. It was a beautiful, well functioning piece in 8x57 and it could have been mine for $225. Wasn�t really in the market for a new rifle, though, and would have preferred a 7x57 instead. Mannlichers have never been of any interest for a number of reasons. The Savage 99 get s a little interest and I�ve look at a number of them hoping to find a .308 in good condition at an irresistible price. Hasn�t happened, probably never will. Not a concern, though, as I�ve gotten less interested in 99�s as time passes.

When it comes to cars, I�ve owned both foreign and domestic and driven lots more of both. Based on that experience I have no use for some popular foreign cars and trucks. Similarly, I�ve no use for some domestic brands, either. Right now we drive three Fords, an Expedition, F150 and F250 and I�m very happy with all of them, plebian as they may be.

�Why tote the same shootin' iron as most everybody else does?� If they meet your requirements in terms of availability, dependability, functionality, affordability and aesthetics, why not? Choosing a product that fails to meet these requirements as well, just to �Dare to be different�, makes as much sense as eating crap instead of flushing it.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/28/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Coyote Hunter-

I was reading your response to my posting, which by the way was nothing more than my stating my opinion that there are many alternatives to the "Fords, Chevys, Chryslers" of the gun world, and nodding my head in general approval of your eloquence- right up to your last sentence. What I thought to be a rational, intelligent rebuttal to my opinion turned out to be yet another base insult, the likes of which seem to be increasing at an exponential rate on the internet of late. Has civility gone the way of the Do-Do? Apparently so.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
... Has civility gone the way of the Do-Do? Apparently so.

Let's see, who was it that implied shooting "Remington, Winchesters, and Rugers" was "herd mentality"?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by clos
any one really better then the other as far as hunting rifles go.
pros and cons????

Easy guys easy, we dont need to start flaming each other. Thansk for all of your comments and answers, but what i was looking for was stuff like "you can seat the bullet out a little further in the remington cuz it has a little longer throat then the other two" Now i guess i should have been more spacific, but I thought the PROS AND CONS would have been enough.
again thanks for everybodys comments.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 3 M700s, 3 M77s, and a M70 Classic Featherweight. All are great rifles or I wouldn't still have them. Two of the Rems and one of the Rugers have been trued and rebarreled. One of the Rems REALLY needed it, the other was just plain worn out. The Ruger was just one of those wild hairs I sometimes get, it was MOA from the factory. To me the Rugers are the best looking, but a bit bulky. I think I would like them better in the larger calibers, but by some quirk of timing, mine are all .25 cal. and under while two of my Rems. are .277 and .338. My Rugers are wood stocked while all three of the Rems are synthetic, with two of them being aftermarket synthetics. The Win. is a .243 and easily MOA after some work. It's easy to shoot and is growing on me. If the new FNs turn out well, I'll be looking at a Fwt. in 7-08. Which would I buy in the future? I've had great luck with the Rugers and decent luck with the Rems. I guess it depends on what I was looking for, .30 and up I'd look at Ruger. Light and handy sounds more like a M700 Mountain Rifle. Still, I'm waiting to see how the new M70s turn out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 11 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.