Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A while back I posted about my dad luring me into an elk hunting opportunity. Well I'm going as some of you know and through that initial post there came to be the offer by j elky to allow me to take this knife along with me that he had been working on. I do not know the story of the knife but i received the knife today from forum member & fellow Minnesotan Jeff "j elky" and it looks amazing!!

I have a few pictures here to post of the knife. I really hope that Jeff finds this thread & shares with us all the details of how the knife came to be & what he has in mind for it. For now i think if I understand correctly it is to become sort of a traveling 24hour campfire knife that is to find its way along on many hunts with our very own members traveling abroad for what ever sort of game... but I'm getting too far ahead & I feel it's best to let j elky determine the future for his creation.

Here is the knife. I really like this type of sheath, but I'm not knife savvy enough to speak too much about it, we'll let Jeff tell us about it.
[Linked Image]

here it is out of the sheath, very cool huh?
[Linked Image]

these next 2 shots are attempts at a close op of the campfire logo on the blade.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There you have it. here's the posts from the previous thread that initiated the trip for the knife. It initiated the honor I have of being the first to take it out on an adventure in the field.

Thanks so much for that Jeff.

Hey Dave,

Any interest in taking along an unofficial 24hourcampfire knife?

I bought one of the blades that was offered here last year. I finished the knife, just didn't make a sheath yet. Your welcome to take it along, use it as you wish then send it back to me when you get back.

Let me know........Jeff

Heck I'm game. have you got any kind of a sheath it could go in for now or i wonder if maybe i got something it would fit well enough in?

Dave,

I'll make a sheath for it next week and get it sharpened up. I'll send you a PM when it is ready. When you get back we'll have to try and find someone else to take it on a campfire hunt.

Jeff

alrighty, let me know when you are ready & I'll get you my address. I'll send it back to ya when i get back.

How cool is this everybody?

Jeff, please tell us about the knife. Also now that I see it, i'm afraid to use it :crazy" Are you sure jeff? and if soo.... hos much are you comfortable with? (i have a little common sense, i'm not going to cut knee & hip joints apart with it, I'll use one of my own knives for that grin)

But what I mean is, what about blood? are we worried about the beautiful handle getting stained?

Ya gotta tell me or I'll be afraid to use it...

grin

Dave

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinFirst ya ask us how to prevent baboon ass then ya worry about blood on a hunting knife????? grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Very nice knife. Blood doesn't stain any of mine and so what it it does. It's a hunting knife!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Very nice looking knife.

Good luck on your Elk trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinFirst ya ask us how to prevent baboon ass then ya worry about blood on a hunting knife????? grin grin

I think he is thinking of cutting out the baboon ass with the hunting knife. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Oh too funny, My wife Pam was just rolling a few moments ago reading the baboon thread for the first time..

well, it aint my knife, so I wanna be careful with it grin

Originally Posted by Patriot1776

Good luck on your Elk trip.

thanks, we leave next Wed. My dad will head out there Sunday morning with all the base camp gear & the horses.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinANYBODY who reads that thread is gonna have verrry sore ribs grin Show it to yer Dad sometime and watch the fun grinGood luck on the trip, kill an elk but yer not allowed to gut or skin her so as to protect the hunting knife. Pull off skin with yer teeth!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Oh don't make me go primal.. it gets ugly! If you've ever read my annual pre deer hunt lunacy you would know better than to bait me with such things as "pull off the skin with your teeth!!"

oh please don't get me started... it'll get scary messy in here... sort of thing that leaves folks standing with there jaw hanging open... "excuse me... but did he just say he was going to mop the blood from the inside of the carcass with the hair on his head?"

Cave men had more etiquette than me... grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Oh don't make me go primal.. it gets ugly! If you've ever read my annual pre deer hunt lunacy you would know better than to bait me with such things as "pull off the skin with your teeth!!"

oh please don't get me started... it'll get scary messy in here... sort of thing that leaves folks standing with there jaw hanging open... "excuse me... but did he just say he was going to mop the blood from the inside of the carcass with the hair on his head?"

Cave men had more etiquette than me... grin

[Linked Image]etyket???Whut is etyket??? grinHow much of the meat do you tear off with yer teeth and eat raw?? I'v done that a time or three. Did it with my moose too[Linked Image]
etyket he sez grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh crap, the moon is out.... here I go sprinting through the woods chasing rabits in the dark....

my own dogs are afraid of me when i get like this... grin

Jeff? come in Jeff... (I sent him a PM, if he goes on line he can educate us all on the knife)

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure you write a quick tale of your hunt to send along with the knife. In fact, everyone that uses it on a hunt should do so.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
nd: Hope you have a fun trip (there's no other kind). Don't forget your BUTT-OUT Tool and your 12" Mill Bastard file for touching up your wink whistleknives...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ebd10
Make sure you write a quick tale of your hunt to send along with the knife. In fact, everyone that uses it on a hunt should do so.

rodger dodger.

I'll make special effort to enclose photos & some hunt notes in with the knife when I send it back to Jeff. Maybe he'll care to keep a diary of sorts on the adventures of his creation.

Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
nd: Hope you have a fun trip (there's no other kind). Don't forget your BUTT-OUT Tool and your 12" Mill Bastard file for touching up your wink whistleknives...

shocked

might have to hold off on the toothy file! grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave,

Glad you like the knife. A year or so ago, michiganroadkill offered this knife in a kit with the guard and pin. I bought one, finished it and showed it to a guy at work. I never got it back. Tim, mrk, offered me the last two that he had so I bit. I had this one almost complete, sans a sheath and final sharpening. When your elk thread came up I got the great idea (brain fart) of seeing if you'd want to break it in. Besides, if I can't go elk hunting, at least my knife can. The handle is whitetail antler and curly maple from Penn. The sheath is just heavy leather (I think 10-11oz) that was treated with melted beeswax and neatsfoot oil. The steel is 52100, high carbon but not stainless.

So....use the damn thing like you would your own. Gut it, skin it, pop the joints whatever you would normally do. If it gets a little stained or scritched up (tech term), all the better!! Take some pictures and tell the tale when you get back. Then well see who wants it next.

I should strip the finish and do Art(Sitka deer) epoxy finish to fill in those little cracks.

And if you use on your baboon ass, please no pictures!!!

Jeff

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
grin

Alright!! Jeff found us!!!

Hey this knife is awesome Jeff, and it's such a cool idea sending it out on hunts..

I'll do my best to ground a big cow & put this blade to the test. I'll take pictures & all that & I will most certainly report back here with the pics & any stories I will hopefully have.

But no grin I won't introduce it to the baboon. grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I see. A "Brotherhood of the Traveling Skinning Knife" kind of thing.

Got to have pictures of it being used and the fellows using it. 10 years or so from now, one of the 'Fire members writes it up as a magazine piece.

This could be great.

- Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i really do think it could be great.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just don't forget to quit grinding before it turns blue...or we'll have a Campfire paring knife. grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking knife...Hope you bloody it on your trip. :-)

i have a campfire knife as well but no where as pretty as that one.
i did my handle in a pink and white polymer clay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i will post pics of my knives that i made, and them in use soon.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.