Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
who has seen used a #4 reticle in a zeiss conquest & how did u like it. does it more closely resemble a true #4 or a 4A? are the crosshairs thin enough for precise long range work? do the posts come close enough together for reliable low power, low light work when the crosshair may fade?

does anyone have a link to the reticle subtensions?

doug if u read this, can u pm me a price? thx! looking for another 3-9x40..(love that 4" eye relief!)

AS A SIDE NOTE, the zeiss conquest has to be the best buy in scopes right now... not starting a pi$$ing match, its just my opinion from owning leupolds, s&b's, high end zeiss, & others plus looking through a bunch more...

the good thing is u rarely hear about a problem w/ a conquest & if so, zeiss usually fixes it within a week or so from what I have heard/read

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Measurements 40 and 44 mm Conquest
A (horizontal thick bar spacing) is 50,4-17" @ 100 y,
B (= Thickness of horzontal bars) is 10,8 - 3,6" @ 100 y,
C (= Thickness of thin - aiming - cross) is 1,1 - 0,4" @ 100 y.

So with 17" spacing @ high X you are 17/2 = 8 1/2 inches into the game body silhouette when the still visible edge of the horzontal bar touches the brisket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one, I haven't shot it a whole lot but like it very much.

I also agree, the best buy in optics.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thought I owuld refresh this... Since the leupold #4 is worthless (IMO) and Premier doesnt make reticles for leupy these days, i wanted to check this out by zeiss....a #4 2nd plane reticle with ETCHED GLASS... thoughts

Here is a pic of it
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/10/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAKO75
who has seen used a #4 reticle in a zeiss conquest & how did u like it. does it more closely resemble a true #4 or a 4A? are the crosshairs thin enough for precise long range work? do the posts come close enough together for reliable low power, low light work when the crosshair may fade?

does anyone have a link to the reticle subtensions?

doug if u read this, can u pm me a price? thx! looking for another 3-9x40..(love that 4" eye relief!)

AS A SIDE NOTE, the zeiss conquest has to be the best buy in scopes right now... not starting a pi$$ing match, its just my opinion from owning leupolds, s&b's, high end zeiss, & others plus looking through a bunch more...

the good thing is u rarely hear about a problem w/ a conquest & if so, zeiss usually fixes it within a week or so from what I have heard/read

I am very happy with my Zeiss scopes, that said I did not care for the #4, it took up too much of the view, mine had a ghost in it as well near the bottom of the bell, they replaced it within 10 days, very good company to do business with.

IC B2

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
what did you switch too, the z-plex? i was hunting a powerline last year and couldnt find the corsshairs...now it was probably past legal shooting hours but I could see the deer through the Swaro SLC 7x42's so I figured "lets do this", but I couldnt see the z-plex, i figure that wont happen with a #4

Whe nyou say it took up too much "view" what do you mean specifically? the posts? crosshairs?

― George Orwell, 1984
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't seen a Leupold #4 but the post & duplex would probably be to your liking. The P&D is about as thick in the center as the heavy duplex, the posts not as thick as the HD, and the distance between the posts are closer than the HD. I have a post & duplex in my VX2 3x9 and really like it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Zeiss is by far and away the best buy in Rifle Scopes! I have two! Both with turrets!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have two zeiss conquest with a #4 reticle, a 4.5X14X50 and a 3X9X40...they are my favorite reticles. Also, a Zeiss 4.5X14X44 with a rapid Z800. I have leupold scopes, one with a post and duplex [4X] and a heavy duplex [6X42] both are ok..also a 2.5X8X32 leupold with a B and C reticle...again OK. I have other modern scopes such as Baush and Lomb 4200s, Nikons, etc. And a bunch of older scopes..steel weavers, redfields and an old kollmorgan with no internal adjustments...To my eyes, the Zeiss are the best scopes and reticles. [and yes, I do know how to focus a rifle scope]
jmr

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Conquest 3-9x40 with the #4 reticle its nice! Works great in low light hunting. You can realy see the #4 reticle long after the duplex reticle.

randy..
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, Leupold is. Shilen barrels also suck.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako 75, I just looked thru my 6x42 Fx-III, German #4 again to be sure, but it looks like the reticle in your photo above.

I would swear when at the Shot Show a couple of years ago, I saw at the Leupold Booth a #4 that was much wider in the 'open' area, but mine is as above, as it came from Leupold, so I really speculate if there were either 2 versions of the #4 in the past, OR if the #4 has different specs in different Leupold scopes, don't know the answer.

As a side note, I also have a 2-7x35 Burris 3P#4 and it looks nigh identical to the Leupold #4 I have, will put both to use in the field this season, Burris on my son's Sako 260, the Leupy on my 6.5x55 #1. SxS comparison at dusk, the Leupy does edge out in the Burris for brightness, as expected w/42mm Obj. Not sure though if I will have any problem in legal light with Burris, will be interesting, but will compare more in the field as we hunt together for now.

Many hunters are finding more Pro's to use a better contrasting reticle than typical plex/duplex styles for use in lower light. VERY frustating I know using a 'too thin' reticle. That has happened to me long ago deer hunting near dusk with fine duplex 4-14x, both 40 and 50mm and I swore them off for my kind of hunting. Buddy has the illuminated 4-14x and likes it, but I like things simpler w/cleaner lines, less gadgets and things to go wrong.

Different situations calls for different equipment I am sure so no 'one size fits all' IMHO.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking at the 2008 catalog.

THe german #4 in vx-III 3.5-10x40 has a 75" opening (on 3.5x) @ 100 yards which is 25 yards wider than the conquest 3-9x40. THe thickness of the posts is 2.7"(3.5x) - 0.9"(10x) on the leupold.
Much thinner than the zeiss. the crosshairs go 1.9"-0.4" @ 100 yards. THat is the same essentially as the zeiss. I think the leupold opening is too wide. I like the premier #4 which I believe had 25" @ 100 yards on the lowest power..... The zeiss is more like a 4A than a 4 and the leupold is like a 4"AA"

The vx-7 2.5-10x45 has a 100" opening on 2.5x @ 100 yards...useless

Leupold doesnt offer the #4 in a the 6x42 or 6x36
----------------

Also a new conquest 3-9x40 can be had wit ha plex reticle for 350$ or so... A leupold vx-III 3.5-10x40 is a 100$ more. I think the zeiss is a much better value.. THe leupold will be even more expensive once they discontinue the vx-III and launch the new and improved 1" series.... A conquest with a #4 can be had new for around $400...

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/11/08.

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Sako, could not find the specs on the Zeiss. I have an older catalog, at one time a #4 was in the 6x42, it has specs:

6.0" Heavy section
.7 Thin
25.2 Thin opening

I like it, seen a few scopes with a #4 that was far too open for my liking as it did not draw your eye to center as well/rapidly IMHO, but my 6x42 looks like the image in your photo above. If you are comparing a variable, what power obviously matters.

Thanks. No doubt, European scopes have nice glass and reticles. If I were looking for a variable, and not wanting to pay for a Swarovski (and considering my 'then' 401k/IRA and now '201k' I'd go for Value as you say, and take a hard look at a Zeiss. Not owned one yet, but too many raves to ignore taking a look!

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER

So with 17" spacing @ high X you are 17/2 = 8 1/2 inches into the game body silhouette when the still visible edge of the horzontal bar touches the brisket.
ZEISS SPECS

― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER

ZEISS SPECS

Sako, personally I found the Zeiss #4 to be occupy more of the view than I cared for. This coupled with a ghost at the bottom, (which Zeiss said was an optical artifact from the #4 near the bell and not a problem). You may find differently. If you cannot see the retical on a long range near dark shot then maybe you need to spend some more money! These are illuminated and the battery lasts several hundred hours on a medium setting.
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/RETICLES_OVERVIEW/RETICLES_DETAIL/NP-R2-32x.pdf

I have the big game reticle as NONE of my shots is ever over 150 yards...

The Leupold illuminated reticle was also a choice but Leupold technical service says about 70 hours or so illumiated. This may also work in your case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always went past legal light, before my scopes lost too much light transmission, and I lost the reticle w/std. non illuminated reticles.

IF I hunted at night, as some do, they might be just the ticket. I am sure they work well as intended. To my eyes, it does seem the darker it gets, your shooting range grows shorter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
in the AM looking at my clock sometimes its legal shooting time but you can be in a place where yes you can see the deer, but no you cannot see the reticle. I don't like to guess I guess...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sako the 50inch width on the horizontal bar was the deal killer for me on the Zeiss #4. The Leupold Post and Dulex is much tighter in the middle for a late evening or early morning shot.It... the bars are close enough together for one to bracket a deer's shoulder and still make the shot. powdr

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
powdr- I couldnt find and post and duplex specs in the leupold catalog. How wide is the opening?

The thing thats different about the 50" opening in a 2nd plane is that it isnt 50" as you increase the power. A lot of the euro stuff is 50" but since they are 1st plane it stays @ 50" no matter what power. I'm sure you know that but I figured it was worth mentioning for some others who may read this...
I think 35" would abot perfect, 25 is almost too close. Also according ot ROE DEER above he outlines how to bracket a deer with the reticle on 9x..

"Measurements 40 and 44 mm Conquest

So with 17" spacing @ high X you are 17/2 = 8 1/2 inches into the game body silhouette when the still visible edge of the horzontal bar touches the brisket. "

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/13/08.

― George Orwell, 1984
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,514
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.