Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've used cast lead/Unique loads in 38spl,44spl and 45ACP for many years w/o any load related problems. Simply because I'm cheap and can shoot a lot more for a lot less. Will continue to do so for as many more years as I am given.

Unique is dirty burning, after 100rds or so it looks like you've been shoveling coal. So when you're done you clean up. The advantage certainly out weighs the disadvantage.

O

Too old to suffer fools
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I'll agree again that the old Unique isn't the cleanest of pistol powders although I still have several pounds of it & use it with great satisfaction. I've done many matche where 400-500 rounds were fired, I've never experienced the malfunctions some have mentioned here, guess I just haven't shot enough. I do take precautions like cleaning under the extractor star if needed, but this isn't just a problem with Unique, any powder can do that. Most of the discussion here just comes down to cleaning a gun from time to time, not just shooting & putting it back in the safe. As mentioned above, if you want a perfectly clean gun, don't shoot it!
I see the terms, DIRTY, FILTHY, SPLATTER, & POWDER PUFF used in conjunction with cast bullets & or Unique powder & PREMIUM & HIGH QUALITY & CLASSIC used when we are talking about jacketed bullets. Hmmm!!
A few more of my competition S&W's, abused, filthy & the cylinders won't turn. I make the handgun stocks. Funny you can even see the stocks for the crud.
]
I was just pulling your leg about the copper fouling, you won't see that with good bullets, but I'll still take that fine old S&W you have. grin

Dick

Hello Dick
Perhaps my problem with lead Bullets is I may have had ones that were too soft and that may have been the problem, or perhaps so many years of Loading copper jacketed led me to load the lead on the hot side to cause this spatter, I really don't know, But I had my K-32 masterpiece almost Locked up from it, so that changed my mind on loading any more for it. The face of the cylinder was covered with lead and you could see where it was dragging on the forcing cone from it. I do have some Rainer Plated lead bullets coming so I will get back to shooting it with those soon. I have several Magnums and like to load them warm so lead is not an Option at these Pressure levels.One thing that has crossed my mind is, has your Competition handguns been set up to shoot by increasing the forcing cone space ? I ask this because my K-32 is very tight being only .004" when I checked it and it does not like lead at all being that it binds up easily from it as soon as some get's on the face of the cylinder, yet I can fire Hundreds of copper Jacketed bullets without a Glitch or issue out of it. Here are the big brothers to my Model 27 above. The first one is a model 57 in .41 magnum and the Lower one is my model 29 in .44 Magnum. Either of these have been fired with lead bullets but they both have fired Thousands of rounds of copper Jacketed bullets in their Life time without Incident..Below those is my Model 25-5 in .45 Colt Caliber along with my 25-2 in .45 ACP Wearing a set of Roper Custom Grips. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/SW25-2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/SW25-2Leftside.jpg[/img]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
General,

Those Ropers are hideous; I'll take them off your hands for $20.00:)

Have you seen that Keith Brown make marvelous reproductions?
http://www.classiccarvedgrips.com/photogallery4.html

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hello General, those are some great looking old S&W's, something about the deep blue on these old guns that makes everybody like them.
Most people, not all start out buying cast slugs that are too hard, the rule of thumb is, don't shoot a soft bullet fast or a hard bullet slow, you will get gas cutting/leading right from the start. Bullet fit is the #1 thing when using cast. Everyone needs to measure their cylinder throats/bore to see what they actually measure, there are many surprises! A easy thing to try is drop a cast slug down each cylinder, it needs to be snug but be able to push it through each one.
I'm sure you've used plated bullets before but one precaution is, don't get carried away with the crimp, you don't want to break the thin plating by over doing it. Also they usually can't be run up too high velocity wise, normally there is a velocity chart available from the dealer.
Running cast bullets fast is easy & you should never get leading if the bullet hardness matches the velocity. I'm running the 250 Keith slug right at 1600 fps in my 10" Ruger 44, its had lots & lots of them down the bore, I haven't cleaned the bore once! I would if it needed it. My slugs are sized .431" & your 44's probaly need to be + or - one thousandths of that to be correct. Most jacketed slugs are .429" or .4295", thats too small for good fit with cast.
Of the 50 or so head of big game I've taken with revolvers in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska & Africa, all were taken with cast. Actually I did take one of my elk & a couple of deer with jacketed but not for a long time, if I thought they were better I'd use them & do think it might be better on deer for close up tree stand type hunting.
Almost forgot & sorry this is a little long. I've made my own cast slugs since 1966, mostly using just wheelweights, the good thing about them is you can make them harder quite easy. You can water quench them, this is the most common way, or you can heat treat them & take the hardness up into the 30+ BHN range. There is nothing out there that will compare to a good cast slug for big game, especially for odd angle shots. Shoot an animal with a cast slug & you can usually eat the bullet hole, that is, it won't be all blood shot normally like a jacketed, expanding slug. That big flat nose just works, always, from any angle.
The cylinder gap at .004" is about normal for S&W guns, we don't change this on my competition guns.
This is a nice cased model 57 in 41 magnum.
[Linked Image]
Early model 29 S&W 44 magnum nickel, also has the walnut case.
[Linked Image]
Took this buck last fall at 106 yds, Ruger 357 Maximum & the Keith 173 gr cast.
[Linked Image]
Freedom Arms 475 using a 370 gr cast.
[Linked Image]
Lion taken with an 8 3/8ths nickel 357 & the 173 gr Keith cast, shot at 5'
[Linked Image]

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 10/31/08.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

H-110 or win 296 are excellent for full power loads in the 357 IME

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dick,

Very good post and nice photos. You're spot on about cast bullet hardness. I've been casting my own for years and I'm a big fan of the classic Keith 429421; my favorite go anywhere, do anything bullet.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree nothing beats a proper hard cast IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Blue Dot oughtta work very well for those 125 grainers.

In fact, Blue Dot is one of the best powders out there for full house .357 loads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've just started messing around with 158 grain Hornady XTPs and L'il Gun. Anyone had any experience with that combination?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have a keg of old UNIQUE.

Try 5 or 5.5 in magnum cases for a neat midrange load.

I use it in the field behind a 173 Lyman Keith bullet at about 1000FPS.

It does well at short & long range and does not kick & bellow like stouter loads.

Bob

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hodgdon Universal is good to go. The slow powders will have more flash in my experience. Hodgdon HS-6 is in the middle of the velocity stats and is a ball powder that works good in a powder measure.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do fine with 2 powders in the 357, Hodgdon Universal for lighter/plinking loads & Win 296(H 110) for max loads. Universal is clean.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.