Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dave588 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I was looking at a cloth bore cleaner and a friend has told me that I should get a coated one piece rod. Where? What's the majority of people using? Anyone using the cloth bore cleaner you just pull thru the bore?

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The Boresnake works fine if you're not interested in removing all the fouling from the bore, or if you don't care if the cord breaks and leaves part of the "snake" stuck in the barrel.

I use one piece stainless, coated Deweys, and carbon fiber Tiptons. I also use Wipe-Out - a foam cleaner - and no longer have to scrub the bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer Bore-Tech rods. I have had one of mine for almost 5 years and the coating is still in perfect condition. You can order one from Brownell's.

The rope style cleaner may be ok for taking in a pack when hunting in case of emergency, but not for regular cleanings.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just me, I use Dewey and I have 2 rods sized for bore and barrel length for each long arm - my home and bench setup is a Sinclair cradle with 2 rod holders - mop and brush. I suspect the carbon fiber and other newer rods may in fact be better than Dewey but I find Dewey amply good enough and I already have them. If I were shopping today I might buy something else. Dewey are black and don't remind me to wipe the rod as often as I should but I have some English made rods coated in yellow that did remind me to wipe the rod so I've made it a habit.

Once upon a time this would have been impossible or silly since I was like Rick Jamison trying to own one of each rifle - in sequence since I obviously couldn't afford all at once. My gun collection has settled down in my 60's and I take better care of the ones I have. I think a bore sized rod that is not too long - and not too short it has to work with bore guides - is less likely to flex and this is better for the rod and better for the bore.

I do have Boresnakes in appropriate sizes for field and rushed use - especially handguns - and find them satisfactory and really all that is necessary for most purposes. Despite the possibility of sealed plastic bags I find Boresnakes a tad smelly for field carry in hunting season. I've been amused and sympathetic to the folks who post from time to time on removing a stuck Boresnake from a bore.

I'd buy from any of the usual suspects especially Sinclair or Brownell's (now the same ownership) but anyplace from Sportsman's Warehouse to Cabela's to a friendly local gun store - support your friendly local gun store if at all possible.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm cheap. I use a $7 plain steel rod, with $2 worth of electronic shrink tubing on it. Presto, coated rod.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Bore-Tech and Dewey rods. I like both, but the Bore-Tech gets way more use. The handle spins better and is much more comfortable in my hands.

Weiners are health food - My dad
D
Dave588 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, I found the bore tech and dewey's on Brownells website.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hi, my name is Paul and I'm a rod-a-holic.

Seriously, I've tried most of them and have come to prefer the Tipton carbon fiber rods. The ideal rod for me would combine the Tipton rod and Bore-Tech handle.

In any event, make sure you have a well fitting jag, meaning with no abrupt edges to catch on the muzzle, and use a good bore guide.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a complete set of Tipton carbon fiber rods for rifles, everything from a .17 on up, also one for pistols. I really like them. For years I went with a one piece Belding and Mull for everything. When it finally gave up the ghost and I went to replace it my dealer told me they'd been out of business for years. I also have an Otis universal set (.22 - 12 gauge) of their cable system for when I'm going away somewhere. I've got boresnakes for all my shotgun gauges and for shotguns they're just the nuts. Pull one through the barrell(s) right after a round of trap, skeet, or sporting when the barrel's still warm and they work pretty well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The main thing to remember about cleaning rods is to never, never actually introduce them into the bore of your rifle. To do so is to create the potential for all sorts of terrible things that would be absolutely disastrous to accuracy. You have been warned! grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dewey cleaning rods for me! Oh, when I have to actually use them! grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tipton carbon fiber rods

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The only rod I will use is a one piece stainless steel rod, it is not abrasive like carbon fiber, even teflon and it does not cling to grit..Bench shooters have known that for ions...

I like the bore snakes. I use them most of the time with a good rod cleaning about twice a year..More bores are ruined by cleaning with rods than by shooting..lot of folks scrub the throats right out..I really don't want to get my bore squeeky clean, its not necessary, and if you do it may take half a dozen shots to get you gun shooting again..One pass with a bore snake is the equivelent of 190 clean patches...

breaking a bore snake string is pretty unlikely unless you just don't pay attention to the condition of the snake. I have had the same ones for I guess 5 years or so..That parachute cord type string would be pretty hard to frazzle IMO...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been replacing my Dewey rods as they wear out with Bore Tech rods and have been very happy with them.
Mike

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Dewey rods for years. About three years ago I bought a couple of Bore Tech rods and they are better than the Deweys in every way. The bearings are better and the handle is smaller and more comfortable. Being smaller means it doesn't hit the comb on monte carlo stocks. You also will need a good rod guide. Mt favorite is the Lucas, made by Mike Lucas. Good combo, nothing not to like. Too tight of a patch will cause the rod to bow and make contact with the bore. This is a bad thing.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Straight" is a characteristic of a good cleaning rod.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use 1 piece stainless steel cleaning rods made by Pro-Shot.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dewey for serious stuff,Boresnake for hunting swipes....84 cent 1/4 dowel from the Home Depot for emergency swipage..don't laugh you've done it too! smile

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dewey along with a good bore guide is the way I fly.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
I use 1 piece stainless steel cleaning rods made by Pro-Shot.

+1, good rods and smooth roller bearing handles that are small enough not to hit the rifle comb.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 308ld, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 51 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,125
Posts18,523,041
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.