-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not so sure tbear, it's a nightmare getting transmission lines approved much less built. Otter Tail II (coal fired, second plant in the same location) is pretty much good to build except Minnesota is holding up approval of transmission facilities needed to get the electrons to market. Environmentalists, don't ya know, pushing wind (in more ways than one). The planned transmission lines were designed with extra capacity for wind generation but they want it all. They're basing their case on CO2 "pollution" and getting more than a little traction.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The time of the large centralized nuke plant has passed. The US plants are dinosaurs and even the newer generation European plants will not be replaced with similar facilities when they are decommissioned.

The package-type nuke plants are either Liquid-Fluoride Thorium Reactors (LFTR - "lifter") or Pebble Bed Reactors. The US is largely pursuing the former and the Euros the latter. LFTR plants are more efficient and more complicated than PBRs. Both types are very safe and produce a lot of power for the dollar.

I don't like conventional nuclear power for lots of reasons, but LFTR and PBR technology is tremendously promising.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by noKnees
I would be more worried about security with many reactors scattered about. The article says they are buried but I wonder how long it would take to get to one of them with a backhoe or a drilling rig.

I am for nuclear power but I think I would prefer a big central( and well secured) plants.

Small plants will require security as well, just not as many people probably. If they require a similar size force to a baseload plant, any economical feasibility probably goes away.

A backhoe or drilling rig has no chance of penetrating even the small plants. We're still talking reinforced concrete structures here. You'd need some heavy lifting equipment, and a good bit of time, to get at the reactors. Assuming you do, which is an awful big assumption, then what you have is non-proliferation grade fuel, so you really didn't accomplish much.

I was more worried that some one would dig down breach what ever containment the unit has and scatter the radioactive material with an explosive or fire causing a very messy and expensive situation.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete,

Store it in Brighton...If it leeks, it would just make bizaare folks even more bizarre... laugh grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noKnees
I was more worried that some one would dig down breach what ever containment the unit has and scatter the radioactive material with an explosive or fire causing a very messy and expensive situation.

Nothing is impossible, but that would be very time-consuming, such that help would have a lot of time to respond. And even if they succeeded, they've managed to set off a "dirty bomb" out in the boonies, bad if you live close, but not quite a statement like setting one off in Times Square, so my guess is it's not that attractive target.

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noknees

Your scenario involving a conventional Light Water Reactor (LWR) is a huge problem. If a breach occurs in a LWR, superheated radioactive cooling water is released to the atmosphere as steam.

The operating theory of the new generation Pebble Bed Reactor (PBR) largely defuses that scenario. A PBR is gas-cooled with helium. Helium is much more inert than water so even a direct release of the gas contacting the core is a minor event. The reaction in the core itself is based on the proximity of the pebbles to one another, a pile of them together is what starts and sustains the reaction, so if the pebbles are scattered the reaction stops.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1234, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 18,596 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,851
Posts18,537,468
Members74,050
Most Online20,410
9 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.