Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As a time saver, I'd appreciate your inputs on brands and sources for extremely cold weather goose down parkas. Other than a look at the "mountain hardwear absolute zero parka," I'm not much impressed with what I've surfed up so far. Figured I go straight to folks that can talk the walk up north. I'm not interested in the Cabela's grade of gear or double duty yuppy stuff. I want a high grade, at least double quilted, goose down unit that will keep me warm on a stump at 10 to 20 below. As hiking is also a strong possibility, I'd like to stick with down to reduce weight. Appreciate some help, 1Minute

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Western Mountaineering Meltdown

I prefer for my uses:

[Linked Image]

Western Mountainering Vapor

Or from Feathered Friends:

[Linked Image]

Rock and Ice Parka

or a little less hard core:

[Linked Image]

FF Icefall Parka

I'm sure there are others, but you can't go wrong with WM or FF!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are asking about two completely different situation and requirements.

Walking around at -50 to-70 requires a parka that can be vented, I have a Cabals parka for that. It's been changed to a much better wolf ruff. The ruff is worth more than the cost of the parka.

For much lower temps like you are looking at then I would try to go with Artic Carharts and insulated bibs overalls from Carhart. What you want and what works are not always one and the same thing. Down is the last thing in the world at lower temperatures like you are asking about. At that lower temperature range it's easy to go through the ice. Down is not worth the trouble of endangering your life with.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WM makes super nice down. Aother one to take a look at is feathered friends. It would be hard to say one is better then another for me.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want really cold weather gear--go to NORTHERN OUTFITTERS for their parkas and other gear. DOWN is not king in really cold weather.----- the geese even head south in the winter.----

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever seen what they wear on Everest?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a marmot parka thats been pretty warm, but I don't see it on marmots site anymore. One of my friends has there 8000m parka(I think to one up me) both are rediculously warm. I also have a cabelas 650 jacket. All three are way to warm to walk in.

I agree if your looking for the absolute best down go Western mountaineering.

There is a big difference between working at -20 or -30 and sitting motionless for hours.

To do long sits at very cold temps there are lots ways to keep your body warm. I rather like a set of good insulated coveralls.. cabelas late season work for me. Get them sized well enough for layering. you don't need waterproof at temps below 20F. One very good layer is a down vest.

My real issue to sit at -20F is my feet. Maybe I just dont have the circulation for it. I have tried packs, Muckluks mickey mouse boots, electric socks and about the best I have found is Rocky snowstalker extremes with tow warmers.

The chemical warmers are nice. There critical for my toes but nice for hands and nice for the body.

I carry my coveralls and the down vest into the stand and slip into it before I climb up into my stand.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Least we forget and old favorite of ours.

wiggys

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RickBin: Now we're talking. The Rock and Ice and Icefalls look like the neighborhood I'm interested in, although something a little longer in the torso would have more appeal. Given the outlay, I wish I could get to a source to look over the workmanship and try some on.

My rare and primary use will be for deer/elk hunting in extreme conditions. I typically do not run about in those instances, but move at a pace that keeps the heart and sweat glands in almost neutral. I find it difficult to shoot accurately when ones pulse is 120+ beats per second. When conditions warm or exertion goes up, one can always run down zippers, open collars, cuffs, and skirts, or God forbid, take it off.

With some of our late season Snake River Canyon outings, I've left camp in single digits and full dress, only to peel all the way down to bare-back or a T-shirt as we take on 1500 to 2000 ft climbs. When one finally summits and starts the sedentary process of glassing on windy ridges, it's really nice to suit back up again and stay toasty. Comfort can keep me going all day with enthusiasm.

Yes, I know I can layer up in conventional Carharts etc, but I've noticed weight and volume becomes issues in rugged terrain, and want to stay minimal. I'd also agree that one doesn't see much Cabela's gear in the "death zone." I used a Northface down parka that I purchased in the mid 70's and finally destroyed with a massive tear last year. It looked like I had shot a snow goose on the spot. I spent a few nights out in that coat, and with a little help to keep the legs warm with game bags and a rain coat, slept just fine. Like many other instances in life, I should have bought 2 or 3, as anything that works well quickly goes out of production.

I appreciate the feed back, and any that have first hand experience wit some of this gear, please chime in. 1Minute

1Minute
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Snow Goose Parkas- 565 $ for top of the line. This is a great cold weather parka.http://www.canada-goose.com/

Apocalyse Design Parkas- 600$ for top of the line. Custom built in Fairbanks. This is real nice.http://www.akgear.com/

If you can afford either of the top end of these you will be set.
I like cabelas as well and they are probably better bang for the buck. However, you wanted to know the best of the best for cold weather I assume.
Mountaineering is different.vauldre probably

Sincerely,

Thomas

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I go back to MN for deer hunting and plan to sit for many hours, I take my old North Slope goose down coverall....put em on when you get to the stand....Cabela's Trans Alaska model would also work well.....otherwise for here in AK, I would go for the WM type coat as I would be walking more and sitting less.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strange to see people dismiss down at cold temps, especially Alaskans.

I think WM or FF would work fine, and the OP only said temps of 10-20 below. That's not exactly extreme...

If you go through the ice at -50 or below, what saves you won't be your Carhart bibs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kaboku68: Surfing for snowgoose doesn't bring anything up. Anyone have experience with the Ganada Goose Expedition Arctic-Tech product? A little less expensive, but no indication as to what the coat weighs. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI, the Patagonia DAS parka is on sale cheap right now...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Strange to see people dismiss down at cold temps, especially Alaskans.

I think WM or FF would work fine, and the OP only said temps of 10-20 below. That's not exactly extreme...

If you go through the ice at -50 or below, what saves you won't be your Carhart bibs.

Down won't save you either. In fact down will get you frozen faster. Down can not shed moisture unless the temperature is above freezing.

What will perhaps save you going through the ice? Wolf mittens can get you out of the water. A wet wolf mitten slammed on the ice will fast freeze and gets you away to pull yourself out. Natural fur you have a chance, wool will keep the heat in once it reaches your body temp wet. Cotton will just kill you. The sythnthetic of the last 15 years are better insulators than any down product. It may surprise many to find out that the best insulator of all comes from the plant world. The cattail produces the warmest of all fiber. Survival bags made for crash victim from polar air travel are made using this fiber for KLM airlines. This fiber comes from Russia

Let me guess? Would I rather have bibs on with Qualafill or down on if I go through he ice? I vote for the sythnthetic every time.

Poly pro long handles with and underlayment of wool, it does not get better than that.

Sleeping bags of down made for the worst conditions will gain weight everyday they are used. Bags will start out weighing 12 pounds and in a two wek period will increase in weight to over a hundred pounds.This gain is from moisture given off while the bag is in use. All of the synthetics aim was to eliminate this trapping of moisture. Mositure equals ice and ice is not and insulator.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Snow Mantra- Sportsman's Warehouse is a dealer.

Big Ray's/Six Avenue Outfitter's is another dealer.

http://www.canada-goose.com/70pr_snow_mantra_parka.htm

This is a parka to wish to have.

Eddie Bauer used to make some good parkas but have discontinued them. An Alyeska Eddie Bauer Parka is hard to beat if you can find one. Kind of like Bunny Boots.

Another thing. I know that this isn't PC but if you can get a Polar Bear ruff made it is better than wolf/wolverine ruff for not freezing your lungs.

Most get by with less.

Canada Goose supplies most scientists working in Antarctica.

The Apocalypse Design Parka is pretty much custom job that is the cat's butt if you can afford it.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/09/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very little of which really applies to the original post...

You mention -50 to -70, then reference the 'lower temps' he's talking about. I'm not sure if you really mean 'higher temps' or I'm just misunderstanding your post. The latter is a good possibility.

I still think the WM or FF stuff would be fine for what he's contemplating. For still-hunting or stump-sitting, it'll be light and comfortable...especially with proper layers under.

If he wants to know how to survive falling into a river at -50, or which plants to pick for sleeping bag stuffing, you're onto something...grin.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rick Bin--the geese you mean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The whole concept of layering should not be overlooked either. I've often hunted in wind at coldish temps but killed things in sheltered places (and trying to work and animal fully bundled is clumsy and less effective, not to mention slower than dressed down a bit.)

I use a good, longer coverage quality synthetic parka which has room enough for a lighterweight down jacket inside if I need it for real cold use. (I think you can get them for $50-$70 at Cabelas.) When you don't need it you can remove it and it will pack into a small, light bundle. OTOH, when dressing an animal, you can simply remove the parka and wear the jacket. Obviously, you don't want to be sweating into down, especially if the temps are very cold and the down layer is on the outside; your sweat will simply ice up next to the outer surface.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you want the absolute best have a look at:- [url=www.peterhutchinsondesign.co.uk][/url] These guys are the best and you will pay for it.
But with the way things are at the moment it will be alot cheaper than it was 6 months ago!!
Dave

Last edited by UKdave; 11/09/08.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.