Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now that doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps you need to put your thinking cap on as its a pretty simple concept...

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
Your posts are always of a negative nature..

My posts simply point out the design trade offs of the TSX. That is to say they trade of wound channel depth for penetration and ultimatly kill thin skinned game less decissivly than a cup and core.
Its the cheerleading squad that takes this as negative, but it is 100% factual.

Woundwound channel depth is lenght which is penetration, in essance you are sayinbg that the TSX trade off is less depth for more penetration

Yep makes no sense, again you are rambling.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JB on nearly 100 head of game I have yet to see a less than massive wound through Vital organs with TSX, yes the exits through the hide and the path through heavy muscle is small than some cup and core bullets, but NOT the path through the vitals.

In my expereience the TSX puts game down extremely faster and is in no way slower to put game down than in other type bullet that I have seen used and on average I'd rank the TSX as one of the faster bullets when it come to putting game down. That is my experience with the TSX and I'd expect the E-Tip and GMX to be equally effective.

I check out the wound chaanel very closely on every animal that is taken and I have seen nothing but massive damage to vital organ with TSX bullets. 100 Animals is a fair smple IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot about 30 big game animals or so with TSX's, and the vast majority of those were DRT or within a couple of feet.

Sure there are bullets that have a greater expanded frontal area. There are bullets which drop animals quicker than does the TSX. But how fast do we need them to drop??? Probably about 27 of the 30 animals I've shot with TSX's have fallen within about 5 feet. The other few have gone about 100 yards or less, and all 3 of them had a blood trail a blind man could follow. Some of them were shot in wooded areas, and regardless, I never lost a single one.

There is no perfect bullet. There is no magic bullet. Bullets are surely full of compromises, from weight retention, to expanded frontal area, rifle fouling properties, B.C., construction material, ease of expansion, toughness and ability to hold together, and lets not forget about $$$price. The list goes on. Each of us needs to pick the bullet that best suits our hunting style and conditions. It just so happens that the TSX is the best bullet that I have used so far, for my hunting style and area.

If I hunt an area where I don't want the animal to go very far, am able to ensure a broadside shot, and am not hunting animals larger than deer or antelope, I may just use the 100gr Sierra GK or the 110gr AB load that I have worked up for that same .25-06.

Good hunting guys, and thanks for a great discussion!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There is no magic bullet.

I thought the one that Oswald shot was a "Magic" bullet

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, my mistake laugh

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have done many, many bullet tests with Nosler Partitions, which as many of us know, tend to lose the front end on expansion, leaving a relatively small mushroon. Often the weight loss is 35% or even more. Yet Partitions will generally penetrate almost as deeply as TSX's of the same diameter and weight in media--and also penetrate very deeply in game. The reason? Relatively small frontal area, which is more important in penetration that weight retention (see Woodleigh example).

Not that you need any support for what you have already stated on numerous occasions in this regard. However, I had a classic case of what you state here on a moose I shot - several times - with 140 grain bullets out of a 6.5X55. Two were Partitons, two were A-Frames. The shots were all broadside from the left side, all through the ribs, all including muscle of, but no bone of the leg(s).

The Partitions were both stopped by hide on the far side.

[Linked Image]

...with some obvious weight loss. The A-Frames, which I didn't recover, were both in the muscle of the offside leg, presumably a bit heavier - and broader- than the Partitions.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That is also there is no such thing as the perfect bullet. That doesn't stop most of us from deciding there is, usually based on a handful of animals--or even one.

Very true. And I think those of us who have been disappointed by certain bullets at times, have been so because we may have been a bit too enamoured by them initially - speaking for myself anyway.

I appreciate the breadth and depth of the experiences you relate so well!

Check out these 2 30 cal 200 grain Partions that a friend of shot recovered from a Bison

Here is the picture and his description

200 gr Nosler partitions recovered from an American Bison Killed on Henry Mountains in Utah.
Bullet on the right broke the shoulder but did not go any further resulting in a very long afternoon of tracking. The bullet upon recovery weighs 74.9 gr.
The other bullet out of the same buffalo weighs 92.5 gr upon recovery.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Woundwound channel depth is lenght which is penetration, in essance you are sayinbg that the TSX trade off is less depth for more penetration

I intended to type width. Of course you knew that..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any idea of the impact velocity>

NRA Patron Member.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No but I will ask him and find out.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BTW as it pertains to rambling, once again you are bringing up pictures of other bullets like Nosler Partitions and wide meplat pistol bullets. What this has to do with a TSX I will never know.
Got some self validation issues?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course you will never know, your incapable of knowing, that's not news

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles58, I couldn't blame you one bit for your love of the TSX- compared to the bullet mayhem you witnessed growing up. That many bullet failures would tend to make a guy REALLY value a bullet that always penetrates.

But please consider this. I started hunting the year 2000... or 1999... can't remember now, but anyway- recently.

I'm not the briniest sardine in the can, but I have now killed just over 20 big game animals, including two elk.

I have never seen anything even remotely resembling bullet failure. All I've seen on deer from Corelokt, Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, Silvertips, Interlocks, and a couple others are exit wounds- except for a deer this year that was a true "test of a bullet", in which I screwed the pooch and shot a blacktail through the ball of the hip joint at 40 yards with a magnum rifle. The bullet penetrated over 39", ending up under the bucks chin!

So... I respect your opinion and how you arrived at. But since I've NEVER seen penetration to be a problem, it hasn't led me to desire a solution- especially at the expense of a (on average) quicker kill, as Mule Deer talkes about.

This isn't TSX bashing, it's just my attempt to explain why THIS hunter isn't all a-flutter over the copper bullets.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
One of the most well known and best gun writers of our time, who has also written chapters in books on bullet ballistics, gives us the scoop of his experience and testing with bullets and still we have some that refute it.

Amazing.

I think this thread should have been over after Mule Deer's last 2 posts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
KYRELOADER Its amazing the lengths the cheerleaders go to.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I guess that you think that no one eles's experienced result and proof of such results counts

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hawk1,

Not that I have noticed--except with bullets that open up widely with relaively little resistance. In other words, I have seen more difference in how a .338 put deer down from the bullets used than the initial diameter of the bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I intended to type width. Of course you knew that..

Now you expect me to read your mind?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
KYRELOADER Its amazing the lengths the cheerleaders go to.

What's amazing is some inability to grasp result even with picture attached

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess that you think that no one eles's experienced result and proof of such results counts

It's called considering the source...

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.