Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Beautiful picture, Take care

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats why the spotter is always in my pack when I am hunting sheep! Its the most important tool I've got when it comes aging sheep and I spend a lot of time behind it. Would kick myself in the azz if I couldn't tell if was legal or not cuz I didn't have the right tools. I killed a ram in the Brooks with my bow back in 04, I was on the highest point of this particular mountain, 25 yards from this ram trying to count rings through my 10x binos cuz his tips were too close to call. Let me repeat that, I was 25 yards from a 13 year old bedded ram trying to count very faint rings as he laid in the shade of pinnacle of rocks, and was finally able to determine he was legal. I arrowed him at 20 yards, and he ran to within 8 ft of me and just stood there coughing up lung blood before he fell off the spine of the mountain for roughly 800 ft. I will never go up after a looker again without a spotting scope! That was this old beat up bastid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet that meat was TENDER laugh

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I hear you. I had the Sheep tag just in case, but I was more interested in Moose until I got out there and saw the sheep and my interest changed. You are correct the right equipment is the only way to fly. Weight is definitely your enemy in those mountains. I get out of breath just thinking about it today,but back in the day I walked them every day.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Whatever dude. Like I said earlier, different strokes for different folks. All I can tell you is that for me, until Zeiss makes a scope that has a more sleek profile, and lighter, I wont be buying another one, no matter how good the glass is.

face it Cub, you don't know what you're talking about, tis evident you don't know what makes you happy. whistle

you're probably gonna have to go release the last few critters you whacked, poor sight picture and all don't ya know! grin

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AC
Thanks for the great pics.
I kinda thought you might like my ULA.Its right up your ally.
For that type of hunting where your in broad daylight and have all the time in the world,its tuff to beat a spotting scope,I agree.
Alot of my hunting has been in the long Alberta twilight.Or hunting piggies in Texas.In this regard the coolaid turned to
vinegar along time ago. Its just a different application.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3498-307-leupold-35-10x40-vx-iii-riflescope.aspx
Weight (oz): 13
Boone & Crockett
Length (in): 12.6
Eye Relief (in): 4.4 - 3.5
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 29.7 - 11
MOA: 1/4
Finish: Matte
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.75
Front Ring Space (in): 2.25
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.3

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8867-258-zeiss-25-10x42-victory-diavari-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope Specifications
Weight (oz): 15.5
Length (in): 12.3
Eye Relief (in): 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 43.5 - 12
Exit Pupil (mm): 15 - 4.2

For 2.5 ozs. Ill take the Zeiss.It would "fit" and look just fine on your light weight rifle or my ULA.I've had other issues with loopie as well.And I am not alone.

Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Leupold failures? So common it is no secret at all. Most people that actually shoot rifles a lot as in benchrest will not be quiet on this subject of Leupold failures. It always comes down to the same old thing that Leupold refuses to address. Spring failure on the erector tube. That's why Cecil Tucker has been doing a spring up grade for years. I'm sure for anyone that has ever seen a Nightforce scope and wondered what that spring housing on the scope was for, now has and answer.

I was a long time advocate of Leupold since the early 70's. I no long recommend them to anybody. I had one conk out on me on a Yukon river hunt. I still have a goodly number of these Leupold scopes, they are slowly getting sold or traded off.

I don't want to hear anybodies BS about how clear they are. I don't care, if a scope lags after the adjustment or does not hold zero, you can put it where the sun don't shine. There is only one scope out there I have full faith in nowadays and that is Sightron. S&B is so highly priced I no longer recommend, great scope but when they exceed the price of the rifle, they leave most people out in the cold.

"Sightron IS THE ONLY SCOPE THAT HAS LICKED THE ERECTOR TUBE PROBLEM"

I could careless what your opinions are about the scopes on your closet Queens, Go to the range and try to square a target. If you have a Leupold that will square the target, you are past lucky.

The only Leupold you can trust are the modified Tucker scopes. This also screws your warranty.

JUST WAIT TILL YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE SCOPES FAIL ON YOU ON A HUNT OR AT A MATCH.

Again,thanks for the great pictures
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
AC,
The pig pic was for SKane.He seems to always make a positive comment every time I post so I didnt want him to feel left out.
Heres a Nice ULA with a loopie so you dont feel left out to.
[Linked Image]
I like the rifle, with the 2-7 loopie its not even 7 lbs.
The scope "fits" the rifle.But as you should know by now.Im not a loopie fan.
dave

Nice rifle! Whats it chambered in?

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But what I wouldn't give for a Leupy VX-III 3.5-10x40 w/ Zeiss glass in it....Now that would be the cats meow!

The Swarovski avs,are slightly shorter and lighter than a comparable Leupold,but with optics that my eyes see as slightly better than the conquest.I have been using four of them for several years on my 7mmstws and 300 ultramags,and all have been totally reliable.

I would love to have you explain to me that you will see something through a Conquest that I wont see through a VX-III.

I have turned down two shots at game with the 3.5x10x40 vari x III,that I might have taken with a conquest.It was right at last legal time,and the scope was not bright enough for precise crosshair placement with the vari x III.I also own VXIIIs,which I really don't find very different from the vari x III.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AlaskaCub, beautiful pictures! I like the view through the Zeiss Conquest scopes better myself, but you are 100% correct, they don't belong on every rifle. Sometimes weight and size do come into play. Also, and I know this is completely vain, but I like wood and blued steel rifles. A Conquest scope with it un-gainly styling has no place on a classic style rifle were a Leupold seems right in place. Just say'n

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a hard one, I can't tell from your pictures if he is legal. Need your side pictures to tell. What a pain this one must have been, did you ever get to see him from the side before you let fly?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B3

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to give to you guys, this is the longest most civil thread in a long time. Seems that most generally agree that Leupold is stylish, light weight, and reliable but Zeiss is supreme in resolution and low light performance. I kinda like the idea of a VXIII with Zeiss glass. That would be the best of both worlds.
FWIW, I'm not completely convienced that the VXIII's are better than the older Vari X III's in resolution and image quality.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As far as people posting that Leupolds are not durable, I'll have to call BS on that one. I've had all brands and Leupolds are at the top in durability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kinda like the idea of a VXIII with Zeiss glass. That would be the best of both worlds.

As already posted,the Swarovski av is just that.

I'm not completely convienced that the VXIII's are better than the older Vari X III's in resolution and image quality.

I agree 100%,I don't see a significant difference.

As far as people posting that Leupolds are not durable, I'll have to call BS on that one. I've had all brands and Leupolds are at the top in durability.

I have owned Zeiss,Swarovski,Leupold,Nightforce,Weaver,Bushnell,Tasco and Simmons.The Leupolds were more durable than the Simmons and Tasco,but no more durable than the others.

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've had several Swaro AV's and they are good scopes, But they don't retrofit turrets.
Zeiss and leupold does.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you compare to a 3.5-10x50 Conquest? That one flat whips the 44.

I don't see how. It offers you nothing in light gathering capability or clarity beyond that of the 3.5-10X44, and it offers no more field of view, either. That is a little-realized fact about 1" tube scopes, and people who think they "need" a 50mm scope with a 1" tube are kidding themselves.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I haven't gotten my hands on a 2.5-8x32 yet, so I can't tell if you're crazy or not. laugh

He's not crazy. That little scope is almost blindingly bright. It completely takes you by surprise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to give to you guys, this is the longest most civil thread in a long time.

That could change suddenly with the appearance of one individual. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, this is pretty off topic. This will never go anywhere because someone's opinion of clarity, brightness, fit, etc. are all subjective things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I think we've heard a good many of them here. Sure would like to line up the Zeiss's and the Leupold and do a little shootin'...

Live and die by the Browning...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been a clear exchange of what guys like for optics.Some believe they have to have X scope to kill Y animal. In all reality all the scopes made today are lightyears ahead of what used to be the industry standard. May whatever scope a guy chooses allow him the opportunity to put the crosshairs it wears on the quarry they seek. The rest is really all BS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to be a little off topic and edging on defensive at times. To each is his own opinion. God bless America!

Live and die by the Browning...
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.