Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like my primary thicket gun is down with a bad scope, which I have to send back to the factory. The 20 inch BLR takedown rifle, maybe in 308 might find itself as a replacement for my Marlin 44 mag 1894 that has served me well. I hear the triggers suck on the BLR's but thats OK for the intended purpose, the barrel could be cleaned from the breach (the takedown is a wonderful idea) but are they reliable, shoot reasonable (2 inches at 100 would be fine) and can the lever cam out a stuck shell? I would put talley light weight rings on it if they make it for this gun and a low powered Zeiss conquest rifle scope I think. Wish they made it in take down with the pistol grip.

GB1

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Hi Jimmy

I talk BLRs but then I'm not a "real lever gun" guy. I have a BLR 308, one of the stainless laminate ones. You are right, the trigger sucks but they can be improved by a gunsmith so that they only half-suck. Apparently www.neiljones.com is the place to go for BLR trigger jobs in the US, I'm in Australia though.

Mine shoots MOA with 125gn BTs, haven't worked a 150gn load yet.

They do make Talley light weights for it but make sure you get the correct model - on the Talley website they only list the old model rather than the 81. Just email Talley to confirm the part number you need.

I clean mine either with Wipeout, or from the breach using a muzzle guide.

Ian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the BLRs. I have owned a few, Most will shoot MOA some a little worse, but 2MOA should be a sure thing.

When I get up the $$ a .308BLR is on the short list

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 7mm-08, and a 358. love them both!

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Wish they made it in take down with the pistol grip.

Sure they do - check the Browning catalog or website..or gunbroker.
Another BLR-friendly forum is leverguns dot com.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a 358 and it's closer to .75 MOA rifle with 200s and 225s. I don't have any idea how it would with factory ammo. It will flat put the skids on a deer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mine is a Belgium made BLR from '72 in .308, and it will do 1.5" with 180gr soft points. I don't think the trigger on mine is too bad, and its certainly better than the triggers on my 99's.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm down to a .223, a .257 and a .308 but still trying to sneak up on a .22-250 and .358.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
a pistol grip on a .308 takedown is what I am interested in. I have quit chasing "different calibers" and am focusing on guns for specific applications. Short brush thicket deer and hogs, a BLR in 308 shooting plain old 150's using a 1.5X scope is what I am aiming for.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bought a BLR PG TD in 308 Win a few weeks ago and plan on doing some shooting at the range with it once hunting season is done. Haven't decided if I'll put a Leupold 1x4 variable or a fixed power - likely will go with the variable as it's a shorter and lighter scope. The take down feature will be nice when I go caribou hunting in a couple years.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnSpartan
Bought a BLR PG TD in 308 Win a few weeks ago and plan on doing some shooting at the range with it once hunting season is done. Haven't decided if I'll put a Leupold 1x4 variable or a fixed power - likely will go with the variable as it's a shorter and lighter scope. The take down feature will be nice when I go caribou hunting in a couple years.

Where does the scope mount? Hopefully on the barrel so that zero is maintained when you reassemble the gun?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had a 308 BLR for a number of years (10+?), and I ((personally)) think it's one of the most accurate lever guns you're going to find. While I was living overseas, I was using it for competitive shoots (hey, it was the only thing I had!) and could hold my own against other folks that weren't investing $10k in glass and steel.

Yes, the trigger isn't the greatest, but if you keep it within the context of a lever gun, again, it's not that bad either. I haven't touched the trigger, but if I could get an aftermarket adjustable, I'd consider it. Since I'm not shooting more that 150-200 yards anymore, it's not a big deal for me.

As to the question about it clearing a stuck shell, the short answer is yes...but you won't like it. During one of my overseas shoots, I got a hold of some Pakistani ammo that either had too much laquer on it or something else, but every third shot just locked the breach up. If you can get the cam to turn a little, tapping the brass with a cleaning brush will help loosen it the rest of the way. Provided you keep the chamber clean (and you don't have to be manic about it), you should be fine, unless you're speed-shooting or using crap ammo like I did smile

Enjoy!

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled guns yearning to shoot free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming safes and gun racks.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door of my workbench.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"I've had a 308 BLR for a number of years (10+?), and I ((personally)) think it's one of the most accurate lever guns you're going to find. "

Before the fray starts, I should clarify that I'm talking about off-the-shelf with no modifications at all.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled guns yearning to shoot free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming safes and gun racks.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door of my workbench.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Where does the scope mount? Hopefully on the barrel so that zero is maintained when you reassemble the gun?

Two choices for mounting the scope - the first is on the receiver and the second is using Brownings scout scope mount on the barrel.

I've opted to go with the receiver mount for now, but plan on trying out the scout scope mounting later on.

One published review on the take down version had the author disassembling the BLR and reassembling it with no significant difference in point of aim at 100 yards if I recall correctly. The scope was mounted on the receiver. I'd be more interested in accuracy retention at longer distances up to and including 300 yards. I'll see how it goes in the off season.

Last edited by JohnSpartan; 11/15/08. Reason: extra information

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
You see I must buy a .308 because I already have the dies, bullets and powder....I want a short barreled short range deer gun, light easy to handle, good second shot although I almost never have to shoot twice unless I hit a branch, I am also looking at a Ruger 77 in the short international. Looking for light and fast the 20 inch barrel makes more sense than the 18 however the trigger on the ruger is probably better and the ruger is probably stronger.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like the regular non take down BLR in 308 might be the best bet regards scope mounting and consistency.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Jimmyp, the BLR is already a "short" gun so I see little advantage in the takedown feature. Ask yourself "How often do I actually "backpack" in?" Regarding your statement "and the ruger is probably stronger", since the BLR easily handles all factory pressures and then some, what strength advantage do you need?

S
S
The Browning one piece rings are Talleys. I didn't realize it when I ordered them but I got them from Browning in 4 days and they are stamped Talley on the side. Very nice light rings but not as much forward offset as the Leopold mounts. I couldn't get a Leopold 2.5-8 Vx-III or a 2-7 VxII far enough forward for my taste so I have a 4x Weaver that has a shorter eyebox on it now. I also had to remove the rear sight to clear any of the scopes due to the barrel taper. Wasn't happy about that. Didn't have to with the 358 but I did have to lower it. You shouldn't have to remove it with the 308.

The triggers do suck compared to a good bolt gun trigger but they are not that bad and slick up with use. The triggers are wide and that mitigates the heavy pull somewhat and have never been a problem off the bench or even noticed in the field.

I have a Ruger International in 308 and a BLR in 358. They both shoot 3 shot cloverleafs at 100 yds. They are both fast and fast handling but obviously quite different. A hard choice for deer hunting. I use a NECG peep on the Ruger or a fixed 4x Weaver scope. I have swapped them back and forth with no loss of zero. On the BLR I have Leopold mounts with a 2-7 Nikon Monarch. It is a decent scope and looks good on the rifle but I don't like the fast focus eyepiece. I just bought a PG BLR in 300 WSM that I might take elk hunting. I thought about the takedown model but couldn't justify the extra money and didn't want to have to worry about the lockup or a possible shift in zero and didn't want to use the scout setup. Haven't shot it yet but I expect more than enough accuracy.

I don't clean that often. If the groups start to open up I use the OTIS kit. I do use a boresnake between real cleanings.

I reload for the 358 and push either 225gr Sierra Gamekings or Nosler Partitions at 2450 fps chronographed. Not a light load. Fortunately they both shoot to the same POA. I use the Sierras on deer or 200 gr. Hornadys which shoot just as well and the Noslers for bigger game. They work on moose! I partial resize w/o touching the shoulder and have never had an issue with extraction with 6 or more loadings on the brass. I wouldn't worry about extraction or strength issues with a BLR. I wouldn't be putting surplus ammo through it either though. It deserves better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 243 that shoots around MOA all day, I would love to get a 358 some day... straight grip of course!

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
With the non takedown gun I guess you have to clean it from the muzzle and push stuff into the chamber. This I think is the only problem with the non takedown BLR. For me I only clean once a year but I want to clean from the breach end. So I would take it down, clean it, rezero it and put it away. The comments on the requirements for a short eye relief scope are well noted in that you could not mount a Leupold 2.5 x 8 far enough forward. I wonder if the Leupold 1.5 x 5 would work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.