-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy on the knocking the Jersey guy's,I've hunted with some guy's from Pennsyltucky that were knuckle heads too.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all know that idiocy knows no territorial boundaries, so let's all dispense with the harsh words and lighten-up a tad, eh? Sheesh!

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Originally Posted by mathman
It beats DOW.

DOW: Dead On Water...yes that's really bad:

[Linked Image]

Or DOW: Dead On Washroom:
[Linked Image]

Or DOW: Dead On Wheel:
[Linked Image]

OR DOC: Dead On Combine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
I prefer to kill them in there trucks...

Oooooooh, nice Freudian slip. <friendly grin!>

We saw a lot of guys doing the F-150 stalk in the southern U.P. this year too.

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a cool looking goat - how long is he? I managed to once again shoot one smaller than the bucks that I saw later in the season while helping a few buddies out. You'd think I'd learn a little self control eventually. He was DRT 351yds quartering toward thru point of one shoulder and mush in the vitals. (14" - 5 1/2" diggers) 7 mm 140 grain ballistic tip
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, its going to be a looooong winter here, isn't it?

Greenhorn, headshots with a bow almost never end well. I tried that out of a groundblind on a doe the first year the season opened Aug 15th. Very similar results to your buddy.

Now, just to throw some fuel on the fire. The longest sprinter I've ever had made it 320 yards all the way across the "Back 50" of the family ranch. Just a yearling doe, standing broadside at about 150 yards. She was hit with a 210 Partition out of a 338 WM. Solid double lung, and top of the heart. My theory is that the Partition never really opened up in such a small critter.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some animals just don'tknow about dying. My son-in-law was with a guy who double lunged a pronghorn at a water hole. It ran off into the sage and laid down. They waited for quite awhile. They went ot retrive it and it stood up so he double lunged it again. It took of for about 1/4 mile. They waited wor a little while and went for it again. When it got up again, they became concerned.

By now it was getting dark so he shot it with factory lead core 180's from a .308. They walked to it and it wa still alive. It was shot again. The autopsy showed both arrows had hit both lungs. The .308 and hit both lungs.

I used to use a 7-.300 Weatherby. It launched 175 Nosler partitions at 3,150. I hit a large muledeer about three inches above the heart from a distance of about 110 yards. This thing didn'tknow it wasa dead on its feet. Easily it traveled 200 yards or more. This guy was unsual. I have more DDRT than runners.

The value to me of DDRT is I don't have to go looking for them. The only time I go for a deer or elk taking off running is if they run toward the truck. That always works for me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dakotan
I've been seeing this a lot lately. For those of you not in the know, DRT = Dead Right There. Maybe some people are using the term to mean one shot and the critter didn't go very far. However, to me, it means the animal dropped in its tracks. To accomplish a true DRT one either needs to do a head shot, a spine shot, or, a shoulder shot. I'm not saying that animals have never dropped on the spot from a heart shot or a lung shot; but, I've never seen it. I've seen where they haven't traveled very far; but, then we're possibly talking a subjective interpretation of the term DRT.

My question is, why is this desirable to some of you on non-dangerous game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning anybody's choice and am not claiming it is in any way unethical. I'm also not claiming that my desire to attain a heart shot or a double lung shot is in any way superior. I do however believe (my opinion) that a heart shot or a double lung shot to be more desirable.

First, a spine or head shot is much more difficult with less room for error. Second, a shoulder shot destroys an awful lot of meat unnecessarily so. In over 35 years of shooting game animals I've only had two "DRT" shots and both were what I consider bad shots or at least significant misses of my aim point. Both occured while I was aiming for the heart or lungs. Both resulted in loss of meat that I regretted.

I'm not a total idiot (my wife may disagree). I can envision scenarios where a DRT shot would be desirable; but, some people "appear" to believe/assert it to be the desired means of obtaining their quarry regularly. Please enlighten me.

Thomas

I don't get it. I fully expect a well shot deer or elk to drop where they stand or start to stagger right away. I'm rarely dissapointed.

I've heard about deer and elk that have to be trailed after a rifle shot but only had to do it once and that was a bad intial shot with a decent followup after he was on the run.

My dad has killed a whole lot of deer and so I asked him. "What happened to the deer you shot with a rifle?"

"They fell down. What do you think?"

"Right away?"

"Yeah"

I don't know what shot placement other people choose that allows their game to wander a ways before collapsing but I take them tight in the shoulder crease about a third of the way up. The actual target I'm trying to hit is the top of the heart. Every time I've made the shot I wanted to the animal, be it deer or elk, went down like a stone never to rise again.

Why do I like it that way? Faster death, or at least loss of consciousness for the animal and no concern for me about them dying in front of another guy that might put his tag on it before I get there. I consider it a good skill to have to be able to put them on the ground right now.

I'm a bowhunter too and I don't have a problem trailing game if I have to, I just don't like to have to when I can do otherwise.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I concur! I don't want to hear stories of what a great tracker you are. I want to hear how you put him in the dirt on that first anchor shot. What kind of a hunter takes pride in a bullet that blows right through and animal that leaves two holes to aid in tracking? Died in his last tracks at the shot. That's for bragging, not how far he ran.

We have all had shots that were muffed. As in when that branch ran in front of my rifle, or that darn alder stopped my swing on that moose. My favorite is All I could aim at was hair through my scope. To close for a four power scope. None of that kind of shooting is for bragging, should we always take that less than ideal shot?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes, and at 100-150 yards with that kind of trail, or even just drops of blood, you'd find your deer. If you're hunting the way I described, you shouldn't have to worry about another hunter following your blood trail and claiming your deer- heck, if you're that close to other hunters it's got to be downright dangerous! eek

Every situation is different- but I have "lost" two lung shot moose (about 10 times the size of most deer and no worry about other properties or hunters)) long enough for the meat to spoil - 12 hours will do it. In both cases, I was two steps away and following my nose some time later before I could see them- or what was left of them. Several other times ( with CNS- tho not necessarily DRT shots) I have had similar experiences - but I knew where they were, since they went straight down. In one instance, My foot was about 18 inches from the butt of a 42 inch bull before I caught sight of his antler tips some 10 feet away in the grass and deadfall.... In this case, I'd shot him in the spine @ 70 yards just forward of his hips, as the only shot offered, the front half being covered by a big spruce, and him about ready to bolt. He was DRT, only it took a second shot to the back of his head- once I could see it - but he wasn't going anywhere...

In more open country, or at longer ranges, I'll go for the boiler room, being assured I'll likely find them, but in the jungle I hunt moose in, it is CNS/DRT if I can get it. - even if it takes a second shot- which I always give them anyway, several times having had the crap scared out of me by "dead" animals that weren't, quite.

Blood trails are not all that reliable - and admittedly, I'm not a very good tracker, so I work around it....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What's the appeal of having your animal run all over hell and gone? I find that if they do run it's usually NOT closer to the road or anyplace convient for gutting or packing. Also, here's a picture of my Grandfather with the deer that he shot this past year at 250 yardsish. Compare the color of the animal to the surounding area. It is REAL easy to lose an animal out there.

[Linked Image]

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Notwithstanding best intentions and efforts, a guy just never really knows what he's gonna get when he pulls the trigger regardless of bullets and cartridges,and solid placement.If all you've ever had was DRT, you have not done much hunting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh boy, now we are debating killing animals to quick. DOA, DRT whatever. Yeah I am to lazy to track a wounded deer down a steep rocky ravine thick with laurel and high cliffs. I will just do my homework, use the right rifle and only take the shot that will put him down right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One million, most of whom are generally lazy: I read an article that said that most of them hunt within 1.5 miles of a road on public land. If you get access to private land or go further than 1.5 miles in the bush, I bet you'd hardly see a soul- or at least be more than 150 yards from another hunter!!

That is correct, most do hunt within 1.5 miles of a road, because you would have a hard time in most of the state to find squares that are more than 3 miles across. That doesn't make us lazy.
As a matter of fact, how about you come along where I was bear hunting on Monday and see who's lazy, you A-hole! wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I assume several of these last posts' questions were directed at me so, I'll step up to the plate and take my lumps. As I said previously, I don't judge anybody. I've actually, other than a poorly placed shot, always tried for either a heart or a lung shot. It's been my experience that most heart or lung shots result in a short run. Sometimes that's two leaps, some times it's a 30yd, 50yd, even a 100 yd run. As long as it's been a well placed heart or lung shot, it doesn't result in a long tracking job. Do I desire a DRT from one of these? Absolutely, without question. My assertion is that to attain a DRT regularly, I assume one needs to either do a shoulder shot or a spine shot. If that is incorrect, fine, I'm always willing to learn from others and dont' assert that I am correct or that my way is "the" way. My shot selection choice has not been for shoulder or neck/spine shots. I don't think I've ever lost a deer this way. In response to another poster herein, I believe it is commonly accepted that heart or lung shots result in quick humane kills and do not prolong any suffering (I'm paraphrasing as this was implied by the poster). Heck, maybe this weekend I'll try a shoulder shot, look at the results and see if this may be my new desired method. Like I said from the beginning, I'm inquiring and not judging. To most of you, good discussion. To those of you who responded as though you were being judged, I can't put any more qualifiers in my posts than I already do. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by Dakotan; 11/26/08. Reason: corrected spelling error

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hunterbug
What's the appeal of having your animal run all over hell and gone?

This may be a good title for a new thread; but, I'll speculate you won't find many proponents of that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What in the world is wrong with DRT? It beats the hell out of many of the alternatives.

Given my druthers I'll take DRT every time!!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If that was directed at me, there is nothing wrong with DRT and nobody said otherwise. Clearly, my post was an inquiry and in no way could be construed as a condemnation thereof. Anybody who is smarter than a small soapdish could see I was seeking to be educated. If not directed at me, drive on.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dakotan
If that was directed at me, there is nothing wrong with DRT and nobody said otherwise. Clearly, my post was an inquiry and in no way could be construed as a condemnation thereof. Anybody who is smarter than a small soapdish could see I was seeking to be educated. If not directed at me, drive on.

It wasn�t directed specifically at you, but you ARE the one who posed this question:

My question is, why is this desirable to some of you on non-dangerous game?

To put my answer another way, why would NOT DRT be desirable on non-dangerous game? When I pull the trigger I like to see the animal drop in its tracks. Over the years I have had my share of DRTs and only one animal has made it more than a few yards. None of the DRTs were spine or brain shots as I go for the heart and lungs.

Ease up, dude - you asked the question, you have to expect responses.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, "why desirable", qualified by many things in my posts. The "What in the world is wrong with a DRT" question you posed sounded like you were infering things that were not implied. If I'm not correct on that, then I apologize and I need to read more thoroughly. If I'm right, then you need to lighten up significantly and read more thoroughly, dude.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.