Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I recently purchased a used Burris Fullfield II riflescope. Once I received it, I liked it so much that I sold my Leupold and bought another Burris Fullfield II. Now I have these Burris scopes on my 2 main rifles. They were really impressing to make me sale my Leupold for one. I still didn't appreciate their quality and performance untill this week. Monday Opened our Rifle buck season. I have been amazed with this scope in the outdoors. Clarity is unrivaled. Detail can be made out at longer distances than most scopes I have had could see. I have never in my life owned or looked through a scope any better! These are honestly the very best scopes and optics for that matter that I have ever used. I have had Leupolds, Kahles, Nikons and all the more common affordable scopes and this Burris blows them all away. I look forward to going hunting just to look through the Burris scope. As I feel today, I will try to put a Burris on any other firearms I acquire. Thanks Burris. Now I hope their warranty is as good as Leupolds if it is ever needed. Thanks guys. Just wanted to share that for someone who is looking right now.

Bearbuck

Bearbuck
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
I recently purchased a used Burris Fullfield II riflescope. Once I received it, I liked it so much that I sold my Leupold and bought another Burris Fullfield II. Now I have these Burris scopes on my 2 main rifles.

Wait until you get one of those Fullfields into a true lowlight situation. They will make you miss your Leupolds.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No they won't. The FFII is awesome in low light compared to much higher priced scopes. My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm glad you had good luck with your Burris. I recently tried a Fullfield II that I could not even get sighted in. The adjustments were not reliable for me.

I'll forever spend the extra for the Leupold VX3 or even used Vari-XIII's before I'll try another Burris. I've never had a Leupy that wasn't dead on on the adjustments (and I've had a lot of them!).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No they won't. The FFII is awesome in low light compared to much higher priced scopes. My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

Yeah, they will. I saw firsthand what the FFII's are all about last year in northern Alberta (Nampa/Peace River). That was easily one of the worst scopes I've ever owned, and I couldn't even make out a cutblock 150 yards from my position about an hour before sundown. I've never had that problem with any Leupold I've owned. My 2-7X33 VX-II is heads and shoulders above those things, and it isn't even the best scope in my collection.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess this is why some people drive Fords and others Chevy's. I don't have a Burris scope so I can't really comment on their quality. I have Pentax and Sightron and 1 Alpen scope. Work for me (So far..lol)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wasn't impressed.I put one on my T3 and took it off without sighting it in.Eye relief left much to be desired.No comparison to Lupys in that regard.I'm glad you like it.Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I guess you are right on it being relative to the eye looking through it. I had the fullfield about a week before I sold my Leupold. I compared them at every light and temperature change possible. From, bright to regular to low light to dim to completely dark and for a week I checked them back and forth and have to say again that to my eye, the Burris Fullfield II beat my Leupold in every situation!!! I am by nature a very picky, precise kind of guy to and the Burris won. Thats why I wanted to be positively sure. I did not want to sale a Leupold if I was not positive. After about a week of comparing in different situaions, I was convinced. Thanks guys and for those looking, please take a look at the Burris Fullfield and consider. I believe it will put a smile on your face the same way it has mine.

Bearbuck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i would have a hard time giving up a scope that is made in the u.s. (or at least assembled) for something that is made entirely in the phillipines.i dont have a particular favorite brand but. i try to buy u.s. german or at least made in japan brands.i really like the new sightron big sky models. good luck with your burris.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bearbuck,

Wasn't your Leupold a VX-I? Also when you mention Nikon are you talking Pro Staff, old pre-multicoat Buckmasters, new Buckmasters, or Monarch? I have a good bit of experience with a 3-9x40 Monarch (of the vintage where the eyepiece focus/lock was Leupold style) and the FF-II doesn't beat that one for sure.

mathman

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The view and adjustments never bothered me with the Burris. I hate that eyepiece/power ring design though, and don't like the euro-focus on the back.

Their customer service sucks, and you need a pipewrench to adjust the power in cold weather.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

When comparing two scopes that occupy the same general quality stratum (moderate to middle price, fully multicoated) wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the one with about 56% greater objective lens area to be better in low light?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mathman
My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

When comparing two scopes that occupy the same general quality stratum (moderate to middle price, fully multicoated) wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the one with about 56% greater objective lens area to be better in low light?

smirk smirk smirk

And the congregation said, "AMEN".

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The view and adjustments never bothered me with the Burris. I hate that eyepiece/power ring design though, and don't like the euro-focus on the back.

Their customer service sucks, and you need a pipewrench to adjust the power in cold weather.

APPLAUSE!!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't knock the Euro focus- I suspect there are still a lot of trophy animals alive becuase when some hunter tried to find aformentioned trophy in the scope, he discovered that his Euro focus scope had rubbed on his jacket and thereby focused for about 3 .776 inches when he tried to shoot said animal.

Royce

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The euro focus does tend to move on its own, especially when you have to grab the whole rear of the scope, like on the Burris. I have looked through scopes while hunting that had the euro focus, and the reticle and image was blur. I fixed that problem with some electrical tape, but I shouldn't have to rig a scope, just to hunt with it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geez!

I like the FFII's, one of my nominees for best scope for the price. I ran some brightness tests a few years ago, at night using a 100-watt bulb to light an optics chart 25 yards away, and the FFII essentially tied with a Euro-scope that cost several times as much.

I generally don't change my scope magnifications much. If using a FFII for big game I leave it on 6x, and for varmints 9x. So can't comment on how hard the X-ring is to turn in the cold.I have hunted a lot with FFII's and not had the focus ring turn inadvertently on me either, though anything is possible.

I have also had very good luck with FFII's on hard-kicking rifles, which has not always been the case with some other scopes costing more money.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am getting to be an old curmudgeon-the less twisty things on a scope, the better I like it. My favorite setups now mostly have fixed power scopes, no parallax adjustments.
Varmit guns are different- there I don't mind variables with parallax adjustments.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know what you mean. There is a FFII fixed 6x that is a very fine scope. I have hunted with it a lot and never had any problem with the Euro-focus, but maybe I am just weird.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When predator hunting, I am constantly changing my power, depending on the cover.

That being said, I still see no advantage to a euro focus. Once the reticle is focused, why is there a need to mess with it? I like that you lock it down with Loopy, Sightron, and Weaver, and forget about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.