Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have owned 1 Burris FFII in 3-9 with the ballistic plex reticle. Mounted it on a custom Remington. Loved the scope, just missed the eye relief of the Leupy's. I would buy another in a heartbeat though!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The biggest bummer on the Burris is that eyepiece power adjust. You cannot put a flip-up scope cover on them, or it will get in the way of the bolt.

Personally I totally dislike the flip up's but I know that tons of people use and like them. The last set that I had kept pulling off when coming out of the scabbard so my Grandson got to use them as a hockey puck. Finally I found a good use for them... smile

4 me, the best scope cover is on made by Quake industries (I think just down the street from me. The things are tough to find and they're called "scope boots". You have one for each end and when not in use it's easy to pull towards each other and entertwine (spl? who knows) them.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/01/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny how the Burris bashing stopped when Mule Deer put in his positive comments...... I have 2 3x9's and 1 6.5x20 and are pleased with them. Clarity, ease of focus, and flip up covers are not a problem, mine came with little rubber band thingys for covers.

I have Leupolds also, but chooose not to pay for a Leupold for every rifle.....

Moe

"Pick out two!"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In case you missed it, Cameraland has the Pentax/Burris FFII on special. The 3x9 matte BP is 129.99 and the 4.5x14 AO matte BP is 159.99 - shipping included! I couldn't resist a few myself!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Personally I love flip-ups. After my first set, I cannot live without them.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had to play around with the angle of the tab on my butlercreek covers. I got it set so that the bolt works with most of my settings. It is set different on my 4.5x14 than my 3x9. I keep mine set on 6x and usually go up from there. I have only gone down in power to shoot a coyote directly under my stand.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got two Burris "Made in USA" Short mag 3x9 scopes I bought this past year that I would gladly trade for one Leupold of the same original price.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So is the Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14 x 42 the same as the Fullfield II 4.5-14? Seems like a heck of a deal, if it is my credit card will definitely get to work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I got two Burris "Made in USA" Short mag 3x9 scopes I bought this past year that I would gladly trade for one Leupold of the same original price.

Foxbat-I understand your not liking the short mag scopes, have you compared them to the compact Leo's?

A fair comp is the short mags against the compacts...see what I mean.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/04/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Foxbat-I understand your not liking the short mag scopes, have you compared them to the compact Leo's?

A fair comp is the short mags against the compacts...see what I mean.

Dober

The only compact Leupold I have is a 2.5x M8 scout. Same size but not variable. I have to honestly say I prefer the M8. Not trying to bust on the Burris's, as I was excited when I bought them. Getting the ballistic plex in a compact design seemed like a great thing.

I'm serious that I'd trade both for 1 Leupold. Need to make my way over to the classifieds.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a 2-7x33 Vari-XII? smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
How about a 2-7x33 Vari-XII? smile

Kinda looking for another 3-9x. wink

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can state my experience with Burris, it stink's, would'nt have gotten any response except that I was a valuable customer to my dealer and got a call from the district sale's person. will not buy another Burris product , for what's it's worth
Coop

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a FFII 3-9 BP and a 4.5-15AO BP on two of my rifles and am very impressed with them, especially at the price point.

I also have a 4.5-14AO Short Mag that is a big POS. The scope is so bad as to "eye box" that I think there may be something wrong with it. I felt it might be a good scope for a rimfire 77/17 of mine due to compact size and adjustable AO. 4.5 is fine for hunting, the higher power would be good for playing. Huge disappointment.

The Fullfields are at least as bright as my last generation Vari-X II 3-9, and a bit brighter than my Ultralight VX-II 3-9, but that is to be expected when objective size is taken into account.

Last edited by kciH; 12/06/08.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Prarie Goat
In case you missed it, Cameraland has the Pentax/Burris FFII on special. The 3x9 matte BP is 129.99 and the 4.5x14 AO matte BP is 159.99 - shipping included! I couldn't resist a few myself!

Thanks for the tip, picked up one of each. You never know when a new rifle might come into your life.

Thinking I'll put the 3-9 on the Encore ML barrel and see how the vertical lines work out. Current scope has been leaving marks on my nose due to insufficient eye relief. Was looking at a Nikon Omega but will try this first.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I tend to agree with you--but I also talk to an awful lot of shooters in order to understand other people's problems. A lot of older shooters (50+) tend to like Euro-focus because their own eyes don't change focus as readily as when younger, so they can do with with the scope easily if the view needs tweaking.

This may or may not be the reason more scope makes are featuring the Euro-focus. The "baby boom" generation is still the biggest buying market in America, and even the youngest ones are now nearly 50.

Exactly!

I have grown to like and respect the Burris line in general and have 3 FFIIs, two 3-9X40s and a 4.5-14, which is on a SS/SYN Ruger 77 338 that gets used hard, when it gets out. I fell off a mountain in the dark, hunting desert sheep years ago with my old Mdl 70 in 30-06 and a first generation 3X9 FF Burris. I put a good sized dent in the scope, but it then and now worked just fine. One 3X9 FFII is on my antelope rifle, and the other is on my FN/Sako 375 Wby as the second scope, a Burris EuroDiamond being the primary scope.

The EuroDiamond is as good as any scope I've ever owned, and much better, IMO, than many Euro-scopes selling for 3-4 times what it cost.

And, I still like my many Leupolds, so don't think I want to bash the brand. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,487,994
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.