Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Guys I am looking to get a good pair of binos for Christmas in the 6x range. I hunt in the woods 99% of the time where 75yds is a long shot. I have searched quite a bit and I am still stuck. I was looking at the Leupold Katmai 6x36, the Vortex Fury 6.5x36 and from here I have also seen the Eagle Ranger 6x36. In the later season I walk and still hunt quite a bit and I like the sound of the 19oz Katmai for that. Is the glass in the Leupold good glass? I have read reviews that state they are not phase corrected or multi-coated or the Bak-4 but lesser glass?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death just looking for some insight from someone who may have had them in their hands. There is no where within several hours of here that carries any of these to go look at either.

Thanks!

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to consider the Minox 6.5x32 IF. Some people dislike the IF (independent focus), but it doesn't bother me. The depth of field is unbeatable and the glass is very good.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bearcat, slam dunk if it were my decision I'd buy a pair of Leupolds Yosemites in 6x, they're a super bin and go for just under 100 bones.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 6.5 Vortex Fury's and they are dynamite.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I read about the Yosemites and they have great reviews as well. I have read that porro's are not as water/fog proof as roofs are? How would the Yosemites far in low light with the Katmai or Furey?

Honestly anything is probably better than the crappers I am using now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had both the Kat's and the Yo's, tween the two if I had it do over again I'd do the Yo's. Hence the reason why I suggested them...grins

I just don't see $200 diff and I've had no problems with water in the Yo's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Do the Yosemites have twist up eye cups?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't speak to the binos you listed.

I bought the Minox 6x two years ago. I let two people borrow them, both turned right around and purchased one for themselves.

The Minox IF is the best $200 I have ever spent on glass.

GB

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
GeorgiaBoy, a friend of mine has a pair of Steiners that are autofocus, I think that is similar to the Minox? I don't care for that I like being able to focus deeper into the woods to see game. Maybe I just couldn't use them correctly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have evaluated all mentioned and own the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 6x32mm (preceded the SRT). Here is how I would rank them according to my eyes. The field of view of the Furys (8.5�) is outstanding.

1. Vortex Fury 6.5x32mm
2. TIE Leupold Katmai 6x32mm and Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32mm
4. Minox BD 6.5x32 IF
5. Leupold Yosemite 6x30mm

Last edited by jackfish; 12/01/08.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes they do Bearcat

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To expand on Mark's comment...

The diopters focus individually as opposed to a single diopter and a center focus. With a little practice I can spin both simultaneously, but I rarely need to due to the depth of field.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the 6.5 Fury and the 6x Yosemite. Another to consider is the Swift 7x36 Eaglet. For anything except long range scanning, all will work very well.

I know the Minox guys like them, but if the test was to tell the difference between the image of the Minox and the Fury when you had no way of knowing which was which, the Minox guys would have a tough time telling. So would I. I'm not knocking them, but since you have already expressed a preference for the center focus, get the Fury. The depth of field on the two is for all practical purposes IDENTICAL, as are all aspects of the image quality. If the "made in China" is an issue for you, you may want the Swift, which is Japanese. The Swift has the best image of the lot, but the smallest FOV. I do not happen to know where the Katmi is made.

I pretty much agree with Jackfish's post and would rank them the same way he does, but I would add the Swift at the top of the list.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Minox are not really auto focus. You have the ability to focus each eye piece seperately.

Basically close one eye focus the image at 75 yards, and then repeat with the other eye.

Once that is done you are good to go out to infinity.

I hunt in Georgia, so 90% of my shot are less than 100 yards. Not having to focus and refocus makes picking up game really fast.

GB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Minox's as well, I prefer the Yo's. Anyone looking for a pair of the Min's I'd gladly sell them to you for a good price. They're good but I like the Yo's better, although I could live with either...grins

Dober

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think the Katmai is smaller than all of them, if that matters.

I cannot see much difference between my Minox and Yosemites image wise.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I have the Minox's as well, I prefer the Yo's. Anyone looking for a pair of the Min's I'd gladly sell them to you for a good price. They're good but I like the Yo's better, although I could live with either...grins

Dober

Dober,

I'm interested. If they are still available, the original poster does not want them, and you were serious about selling, send me a PM.

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Chris,

Get in line......................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I figured so....

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Since I have been thinking about a 6 power for woods work to replace my heavy 7X35 WA Bushnell Glasses On binoc's, I took a look at the Yo's today and will be buying them. I thought they were all I would need and they have a fine field of view and long eye relief for glasses users. I really did like them. At the local ACADEMY the 6x30 was $97.00 plus tax. The 8x30 was a couple or three bucks more. It was much easier for me to hold steady with the 6's and the 8's although good were not what I need. Weight is 17 oz. That is LIGHT for a good medium pair of binoc's. Only thing I didn't like was they were made in Red China. But so is nearly everything now. I see that MIDWAY has the Yo's 6 power for $79.00. I think Dober is right on.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.