Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Marlin 1894 lever-action rifle in 44Mag. I like it a lot, but one of its little idiosyncrasies is that its ejector is just a bent piece of spring steel that lies in a groove milled in the left sideplate of the receiver. It's not screwed or pinned in or anything: it just lies there. In normal operation, the bolt never uncovers it more than halfway, so that's what keeps it in place; but when you take the rifle apart to clean it, it falls out when you're not looking and gets lost.

That's what happened to mine, and I've been looking for a replacement. I went to a gun show with the gun and tracked down the Parts Guy. I took the gun apart and showed him the cut. He looked in several parts catalogs, and they kept directing him to this ejector that's mostly non-flexible forged steel, with a spring-steel leaf press-fitted into a slot. It doesn't even come close to fitting my 94. Since I had the gun there, he went through all his "miscellaneous" trays looking for something that would fit, but no joy.

The Parts Guy knows a lot about guns, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's somebody here who knows more, at least about Marlin 1894s. Anybody know what I'm running up against?

Blitzkrieg!*

*tanks in advance

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a common part readily available from Brownell's and probably Midway. They dont cost very much, a few bucks, order two and keep one on hand, this wont be the first one you lose!! grin

[Linked Image]
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
This is a common part readily available from Brownell's and probably Midway. They dont cost very much, a few bucks, order two and keep one on hand, this wont be the first one you lose!! grin

Buying more than one is a good idea, but I'm worried about ordering "ejector for 44Mag Marlin 1894" and getting the same one the catalogs directed the Parts Guy to that didn't fit.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact Marlin,they'll hook you up.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yah--Part 13 on this schematic is what the Parts Guy kept being referred back to, and it's considerably more complex than the extractor that fell out of my gun.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barak
Contact a Brownell's tech via e-mail and tell them what you are looking for. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
P/N 746 964 from Midway....in SS

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Barak
Contact a Brownell's tech via e-mail and tell them what you are looking for. kwg

Actually, I found a FAQ on the issue.

Not very encouraging, though:

1st Generation .44 Mag. Ejector Assembly: This ejector, Marlin part number 314168, was utilized from 1969 to 1978 (serial number range starting with 69,xxx, xxx to serial number range starting with 22,xxx, xxx). This part is no longer available as a factory replacement part and there is no alternate factory part that will interchange.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

This one?

[Linked Image]

Nah, that's a modified version of the one in the catalogs. I'm pretty sure the one I want is the one the factory doesn't make anymore. I wonder if anybody makes it. Alternatively, I wonder if the one above would work if I could arrange to drill a hole in the proper place in my sideplate. Or grind off the stud on the ejector that's supposed to fit into that hole.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is one:
MARLIN 1894 - 44 magnum 314168 EJECTOR - O/S pre 1979 - (bent "Vee" sheetmetal type) $ 16.50

Near the bottom of the page:
http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/cfleveraction.htm

Bruce

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by tikkanut

This one?

[Linked Image]

Nah, that's a modified version of the one in the catalogs. I'm pretty sure the one I want is the one the factory doesn't make anymore. I wonder if anybody makes it. Alternatively, I wonder if the one above would work if I could arrange to drill a hole in the proper place in my sideplate. Or grind off the stud on the ejector that's supposed to fit into that hole.

I have two later Marlins..an 1895 44 mag & a 444-P..I was told the part I listed would work for them...maybe not your's though...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
Here is one:
MARLIN 1894 - 44 magnum 314168 EJECTOR - O/S pre 1979 - (bent "Vee" sheetmetal type) $ 16.50

Near the bottom of the page:
http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/cfleveraction.htm

Bruce

Yup, that sounds like it. Thanks a lot. The Campfire triumphs again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one on my 100 year old original '94 isn't one piece, it's similar to the one pictured, but where that one is heavy with the post mine has a flat round area at 90 degrees to the main beam that clamps a seperate leaf spring. I used to see them in the midway catalog under Wild West guns, had a trigger for it too. Now all I see is the one pictured above. Check with Brownells or Gun Parts corp.
Whoops,didn't see the post about Wisners. My older version is the #36-15 from that site. After seeing the link, I remember using them for a replacement before.

Last edited by Ole_270; 11/30/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the one that doesn't fit - as soon as you do you will find the one you lost.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Buy the one that doesn't fit - as soon as you do you will find the one you lost.

tha's experience talkin' I recognize it.

was gonna direct to WWG's Barak, but looks like the brethern have come thru for you already.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Depending on the year of manufacture, the parts will interchange with little modifacation. I have had a 1894 OCT. 44 Mag since 1973 they only made 1800 of them the ejector you discribe sounds like what I have it is simaler but smaller than the ejector in my 1895 CB 45-70. You might try Wild West Guns "bear proof ejector" I think they are for the larger 1895 frame but that should give you enough meat to fit it with some judicious stoneing, other wise try OLD WEST SCROUNGER. or some of the obsolete parts houses.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Try Jack First in Rapid City before you try Gun Parts- It will save you about 6 weeks in getting an answer - you can do it on the phone.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 38 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.