Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm thinking of availing myself of the current discounts to be had on the Leupold VX-III's and looking at the venerable 1.5X5.as the approved standard. However, just above it is a 1.75X6 and the slightly higher magnification would be helpful when just testing loads etc. Anyone here have any experience putting one of these on the .375?? willl standard rings work or would I need higher ones? As always, all responses are appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It has been my experience that Ruger #1's benefit from long eye relief scopes. About the longest eye relief scope that is available is the 1.5x5 Leupold. It seems that sportsmen today are reaching for scopes with higher powers than have been used in the past. Personally I believe that the 1.5x5 is about perfect for a .375. YMMV...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
While I tend to agree, if this rifle ever goes to Africa it will sport a peep from New England Custom Guns. Meanwhile it does Yeoman duty as a Kentucky whitetail rifle and a plaything at the target range. For both uses a little extra top end power helps. Besides, according to Leupold specs, eye relief is the same.

I find I am still back to my originalquestion. Will the scope fit?"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ok! Will the scope fit?

Well, since the mounts on a Ruger #1 are the same regardless of chambering. I believe it will. However the original 1.75x6 is substantially shorter than the 1.75x6E that is made today. As long as you buy an "E" version, I don't see any problems. I have used numberous different Leupold models on the #1, but I keep coming back to either the 1.5x5 or the 6x42. I am fairly short-necked and I just don't like craning my neck to look thru the scope. YMMV

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Ruger No. 1 Medium Sporter in 9.3x74R that I�ve equipped with two extended, medium-height Ruger rings and a Leupold VX-III 1.75x6. Here�s what that setup looks like:

[Linked Image]

In arriving at the above setup, I tried a number of iterations with various Leupold scopes and Ruger rings.

The rifle came with standard Ruger high rings, and my initial setup simply utilized those high rings and a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 scope. But, I quickly discovered that those high rings positioned any scope a bit too high for quick sighting for ME. I decided that I needed medium-height rings.

And while I like the Leupold 1.5-5 scope and have it on several hunting rifles, I also quickly decided that I wanted a bit more power to take better advantage of the excellent accuracy my rifle was delivering with Hornady factory ammunition. For that, I switched to a Leupold VX-III 1.75-6.

At the same time, I concluded that I also wanted to be able to position the scope a bit further back than the standard Ruger rings allowed. For that, I would need extended medium-height Ruger rings. I quickly ordered those rings from Ruger in Arizona and had them in a week.

This particular scope-and-rings setup has worked extremely well for me on my Ruger No. 1. The rifle comes up quickly and sighting is both fast and natural. Using it, I�ve already taken pronghorn antelope and called-in coyotes this fall. It's nice to have ENOUGH GUN for such game. Note the 9.3x74R cartridge under the coyote's chin.

[Linked Image]

I hope this helps. Good luck with your three-seven-five.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Timberline,

Nice picts.

I have the same extended ring set up on my .375 H&H #1. The scope eyepiece comes back exactly to the point yours does, just over the safety knob and the whole rig jumps into battery dead-on target -- just as you describe.

The scope on mine is an old fixed 4x Leupold becasue I see no chance I would be fiddling with Xs when carrying that rifle. It shoots great at 100 yards.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 12/04/08.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the information. I have already ordered the 1.75X6 and will order the extended rings today.

I once had a 1.5X5 on a .308 RSI and discovered that I could not see antlers on a whitetail at 150 yards that were easily seen with my old 7X30 Leupold Binocular. sometimes a little extra magafication helps without going overboard.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I had a No. 1 .375, I took it to Africa more than once, sometimes scoped and sometimes not. When unscoped it had the NECG aperture sight, but when scoped it had a 1.75-6x Leupold in the standard rings, which worked fine. A friend even borrowed it over there when his rifle's scope went blooey and it worked just fine for him too--and I'm 5'8" and he's 6'2".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks John. Glad I haven't spent the money on the extended rings yet.

Art

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both of my #1's (7.62x39 and 9,3x74R) have extended rings as a result of Ruger's excellent customer service.

All it took was a call to Ruger and they sent me the rings at no charge.
In return, they will ask you to send them the original rings that came with the rifle.

Scott

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So try the scope in the regular rings, and if you don't like the set-up, then trade with Ruger....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
John: Got the scope, put it in the low rings and it works great!
Full eye relief up to 4X,have to crawl a bit at six (off hand) but that is for targets anyway and even at six it will work sitting or prone. Thanks for the heads up!

Art

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That was exactly my experience. Thanks for the report!

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,023
Posts18,500,462
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.