Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Savage now lists their Weather Warrior in 250 Savage. The primary use would be crappy weather deer hunting but it may see bear season too.

What do you think of it for black bears in Pa.? Keep in mind, our bears can be very large. The biggest from this year was over 700 lbs and they killed 2 in the county I hunt that went over 600. Not every bear is that big but they do exist.

I handload and would probably load 115 or 120 gr Partitions, maybe 100 gr TSX's. The website claims 14 inch twist but someone on the Savage Collectors asked and Savage says 10 inch is correct, not 14.

They also list 7mm-08, 308, and 300 Savage which are the obvious choices but having a 250 sounds so cool...

Dale

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Does a 250AI count? I used a 110gr AB at 2900'ish on this bear last spring.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dale, I have never taken a blackbear in our state, never even seen one. But I do know what the terrain is like. Given that I would think that with the right bullet (TSX maybe) and the right placement I think you would be OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dale-there's lots of good bullets to give a go in your 250. I kind of have a thing for the 100 Horns in it, no doubt could do the 110 Accu as well. If for some reason you wish for something a bit heavier I'd take a look at the 117 Horn round nose, or the 120 Horn and or the 120 Sierra HPBT. No reason for it not to work well, put them in the proper place and viola you'll have a mato rug.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Steelhead, nice bear. I forgot about the Accubonds. What was the terrain and cover like? Spotted and stalked? How far of a shot? Thanks.

Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Dale, I have never taken a black bear in our state, never even seen one. But I do know what the terrain is like. Given that I would think that with the right bullet (TSX maybe) and the right placement I think you would be OK.

I've seen quite a few over the years, including one that weighed 800 lbs. It was hanging on a tripod in the hunters front yard and it was HUGE! That's my concern, a really big bear in thick cover. It's probably less than 1% chance but it's there.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your hunting bear like most do in Pa, your shot probably will be at a moving bear. If your going to take that shot, I would opt for a bigger caliber. If you are going to be selective in taking your shots, load up an interlock, accubond, partition, tsx, etc and go kill a bear.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't have a problem, Dale... use that new 7mm/08 all-weather Tikka I saw you using at your Dad's farm on Opening Day (deer season). smile

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
SE Alaska is all spot/stalk/shoot, shot was 60-70 yards.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've killed 3 with my 250-3000 here in Maine. None over bait. 2 with plain 100 gr. Core-lokts and the other with a silvertip. Shots were 25-50 yards and none went far- 10-30 yards. These were unpressured bear in a woods environment. Killed 2 more with the 308. It did leave a bigger hole and a better blood trail.

D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ron_T
You don't have a problem, Dale... use that new 7mm/08 all-weather Tikka I saw you using at your Dad's farm on Opening Day (deer season). smile

Ron T.

Trouble is, I'm not sure I like the Tikka. I may replace it with a Howa or Savage. The Savage in 250 would be great for deer but I'm not sure about bears. It may be marginal depending on cover, movement, and bear size.

Originally Posted by JDK
I've killed 3 with my 250-3000 here in Maine. None over bait. 2 with plain 100 gr. Core-lokts and the other with a silvertip. Shots were 25-50 yards and none went far- 10-30 yards. These were unpressured bear in a woods environment. Killed 2 more with the 308. It did leave a bigger hole and a better blood trail.

How big were they? A good blood trail can be very important when driving the thick laurel with no snow. I've got a Savage 99 in 358 as my primary bear gun but I don't like to take it out in the rain anymore.

Thanks,

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DaleK - As I am sure everyone on this board knows, any of the calibers mentioned will kill a bear with a good bullet (TSX, Accubond, TBBC, Partition) placed in the right place. None will make a significant difference if the bullet doesn't go where it is supposed to. Also, your concern is surprising a bear at close quarters; none of the calibers mentioned will stop a charge from a huge bear. My advice; use a .458 Lott.

Kevin Haile
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I love the 250 Savage and have owned one since childhood..I have shot elk, deer and one bear with the 250 Savage..It is a good killer of most game.

As great a round as it is, I don't use it for bear as the bear has a lot of hair and that hair sucks up blood like a seve, thus no blood trail with lighter calibers...I like the .338 and larger calibers for that reason only. It has paid off on a couple of ocassions.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dalek

The bear I killed with the 250 Savage dressed at 155, 135, and 204. Average Maine bear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're driving and expect a quick shot in thick cover, I might want something bigger than a 250 Savage. However, I don't doubt that it would work superbly on most all bears you will ever encounter in the Commonwealth in other situations.

D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
DaleK - As I am sure everyone on this board knows, any of the calibers mentioned will kill a bear with a good bullet (TSX, Accubond, TBBC, Partition) placed in the right place. None will make a significant difference if the bullet doesn't go where it is supposed to. Also, your concern is surprising a bear at close quarters; none of the calibers mentioned will stop a charge from a huge bear. My advice; use a .458 Lott.

Most of my bear hunting experience is with drives in thick stuff or prowling the ridgetops trying to look into the thick stuff. Under those conditions, hitting the 'right place' doesn't always happen.

My concern is whether the 250 has enough 'oomph' to drive completely thru a large bear at a bad angle and make 2 holes big enough to leave a good blood trail. I have no doubt that it would work on a broadside shot and a 200 lb bear. What about a trying to break the shoulder on a quartering 500 lb bear?

Baiting is not allowed in Pa. but calling is. If I've convinced a bear that I'm his dinner, I want enough gun to change his mind in a hurry. Is the 250 enough to do that?

Based on the experiences posted, it seems to me the general trend is: it works but is not ideal. Bigger is better in this case.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like so many other posters already said, get something bigger then a 250-3000.
The 250-3000 may appear "cool" as you say, until you shoot into a bear and it runs off never to be found. Not so cool anymore.
Under ideal conditions like a standing broadside smack into the heart lungs will do for a small to medium bear.
Anything over 150 pounds go for say a .308 or 06 . Bears have heavy shoulder/chest muscles, too much for a .250 savage. Then you shoot at running bears which I would only do at 25 yards or less. Otherwise you can not guarantee where that shot will go exactly. Bears coming in on a call sometimes on the trot,you want something that will anchor him. Again, a .308 at least or 06 is dandy. It has the Oomp plus penetrating power, enough to crumple them and makes good holes to bleed, using good bullets like 165- 180 Nosler partitions.
In our bearcamps those two have been fine and consistant killers in black bears of all sizes. Ofcourse the 7-300 mags will do a fine job too, but are not needed.
Do not watch a bear die, like I have people seen do. Like Ooo....well he will be dead in a minute or so. If he is alive finish him off. Do not give him the chance to suddenly tear off in the bush never to be found. The heavy fur often prevents a good blood trail. Wounded bears crawl into the most awfull tight places to die.
Buy a .308 or 06, hunt everything with that for a couple of years, then get a 250 savage one day and use it as a specialty gun on deer/ coyotes/groundhogs,that is where it shines and you will not be disapointed in it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Black bear die easy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
STEELIE!!! smile I haven't seen you post in a while. I was afraid that a Gator or a husband got ya.... Glad to see your avatar here.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back on topic. I like a large enough gun to make two large holes from which Mr. Bear can bleed and leave a trail. As has been said, it could work in many cases and might be great on a bear in a tree with hounds below but for a spot and stalk bear rifle I would want more rifle.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dale, my friend...

Think "Model 99 in .358 Winchester using handloaded 225 grain or 250 grain Nosler Partitions"... as sure a "stopper" as reasonably possible for a large (let's say 500 pounds or more), running black bear at close quarters. It would do a real "number" on a big buck as well... or even an elk!!!

The Model 99's advantage is a better looking, more traditional rifle which offers a faster "follow-up" shot with the lever-action vs. the bolt-action Tikka.

And don't worry about it if the rifle gets wet or a bit "used" looking. It wipes off at the end of the day. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (29aholic, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 41 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,328
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.