Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I happened to be killing a few minutes and saw an old episode of Hogans Hero's
It was a scene where Hogan and Shultz were walking around Stalag 13 and I noticed the rifle Shultz was carring.... It was a 30-40 Krag..I woulda thought they could have found at least a Mauser for a prop seeing they are pretty common.
Just ANOTHER Hollyweird screw up. grin

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 12/12/08.
GB1

K
K
Well,I'll be dipped. I just watched that same episode and thought the same thing. It WAS a nice Krag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"I know nothing! I know nnnnnnUTHing about this rifle, Hogan. It vaz giffen to me, and dat is all I know."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ever see the scene in the movie Sniper II where the title character is holding a Mosin Nagant and actin' all expert, talking about how the '98 Mauser is the finest rifle ever made?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's nothing, there was one episode where Sgt. Shultz had an M-1.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I happened to be killing a few minutes and saw an old episode of Hogans Hero's
It was a scene where Hogan and Shultz were walking around Stalag 13 and I noticed the rifle Shultz was carring.... It was a 30-40 Krag..I woulda thought they could have found at least a Mauser for a prop seeing they are pretty common.
Just ANOTHER Hollyweird screw up. grin

I would bet the writers had a Norwegian or Danish Krag portrayed.

I think that a lot of captured stuff was used for less than front line duty
or "substitute standard". The M95 Mannlicher and 98/40 also come to mind.

YMMV

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hollywierd prop men don't have much of a clue a lot of the time. And since GUNS are evil they don't take the time to get one either.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Somehow I find it hard to believe the writers of Hogan were thaty informed about history or attempted to be that factual, it was probably a rifle that was in the Prop dept. that looked "real Military"
Nevertheless, I loved John Banner, to me he was the whole show...
It is actually amazing he played the part as he was an Austrian Jew that had his family pretty much eliminated by the Nazi's.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 12/12/08.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my favorite shows, currently in reruns again locally!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was watching Kelly's Heroes the other day and one othe characters in the squad carried a Moisen Sniper rifle. I'm pretty sure there weren't any American troops carrying those in WW II. I'm pretty sure that lots of the American soldiers in some of the larger scenes requiring lots of extras were carrying Mausers. And I know for a fact the Germans in that movie were carrying Yugo 48s.

Of course, the movie was made in Yugoslavia in the 1970s so I guess that is to be expected. Still, it is a little surprising to see a Moisen sniper shown so prominently.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to see something disturbing,go rent the film about Bob Crane,"Auto Focus".

He was one sick puppy.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got the whole series on DVD. I've watched so many times I've got them all memorized.

First, I'm sure Hollywood used whatever was available such as the 105 self-propelled howitzer for a tiger tank and all the American trucks for German trucks.

Second, historical the Germans were short on rifles and side arms in WWII so they used whatever was available from each country to took over. They also salvaged every allied vehicle they could for their own use so the use of American and British trucks for German use in the series is not unlikely.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw that movie Bandit and you are right. If only a tenth of that movie is accurate it was scary. After listening to Crane's wife in the series interviews I would have to say "Auto Focus" is probably somewhat accurate.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watched the heavily edited version on TV.I had to turn it off.Don't think I could make it through ten minutes of the DVD version.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
IIRC, there were a few times the Allies used captured German equipment in action as well...

Painted over the German insignia, and painted on VERY LARGE Allied insignia- especially on top, for aircraft ID.

Tigers and trucks come to mind, tho for the life of me I can't remember what history I read this in. A long, long,long time ago.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like my history to be "accurate" as well when being "entertained" by hollyweird, which is why I hate any John Woo flick (Windtalkers, and Pearl Harbor, among others).

You accuracy buffs might find it interesting that the Swiss Air Force operated a few former-Luftwaffe JU-52's into the eighties! I have no idea how the Swiss acquired those planes, but had heard the old Ford-Tri-Motors were solid 'ships' as well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KenH
Well,I'll be dipped. I just watched that same episode and thought the same thing. It WAS a nice Krag.
That's very had to believe. His rifle, every time I've seen it, was a Mauser 98.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
Somehow I find it hard to believe the writers of Hogan were thaty informed about history or attempted to be that factual, it was probably a rifle that was in the Prop dept. that looked "real Military"
Nevertheless, I loved John Banner, to me he was the whole show...
It is actually amazing he played the part as he was an Austrian Jew that had his family pretty much eliminated by the Nazi's.

I also seem to remember a picture of him as a young man fighting against the nazis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They use to pick on old Sgt Shultz, till they thought the War was over and the local arms factory would be come a Toy Factory again and guess who owned it? Good old 'Sgt Shultz and Klink and the Gestopo guy and the cartoon general was all sucking up for jobs. One of the Actors in that one was in one of the Consentration Camps. Werner Kempler family had to leave. It was a funny show but it was meant to be funny, there was nothing of what prison camps were like for the Allies in Germany or what it was like for the German is Soviet prisons or Americans Brits Aussies and New Zelanders in the hands of Imperial Japan.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Allied POW camps, particullarly those for aircrew weren't all tha bad as those sorts of things go. Americans, Brits, and other Westerners were treated fairly well according to the Geneva Convention. Give Herman Goering some credit. He stood firm and demanded that the Luftwaffe be in charge of the POW camps for Allied aircrew. That saved a lot of men from being interned in SS run camps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 17 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.