Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm a turkey hunting nut case and have several turkey guns set up. One 10 gauge, "3" 12's and "2" 20's. All seem to do the same exact thing; KILL TURKEYS...

I do find it interesting and educational to see others set ups and what works for them though. Discussing set ups will also allow "newbies" to get a better idea of what to buy and what to expect IMO...

Here is my go to "turkey gun" that I built and nicknamed "The Beard Buster"

[Linked Image]

Remington 870
3 1/2"
12 Gauge
Rhino Choke
Nitro Shells
Nikon Red Dot Sight

This is my mountain gun for turkey hunting.

[Linked Image]

T/C Encore
3"
20 Gauge
Rhino Choke
Nitro shells

----------------------
If there is enough interest, I can go into detail about these and others. What I've had done to them and exactly what I shoot - results on pattern boards, etc.

Last edited by Dawn2Dusk; 12/18/08.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Benelli LH Super 90, 12 GA 3.5 inch Winchester Supreme # 5 shot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
D2D,

tell us about your calling techs...you seem to strike with regularity...Its alittle tougher up here in PA, but I'm hunting public ground alot though..I use the pot and peg too, but dont strike so often..whats the secret if you have any.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Serb
D2D,

tell us about your calling techs...you seem to strike with regularity...Its alittle tougher up here in PA, but I'm hunting public ground alot though..I use the pot and peg too, but dont strike so often..whats the secret if you have any.

I'll start a new post in this forum to this regards...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would appreciate that too!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
I would appreciate that too!

I made the post... I hope it helps...

It's not the bible, as many people have learned many techiques to being successful in the turkey woods but I find the basic items I discussed to be an absolute TRUTH pretty much anywhere you go to hunt 'ole Long Toe!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Back to set ups and what works on turkey guns...

Some combinations that I've found work extremely well from gun to gun, person to person are:

Rhino + Nitro (Hevi-Shot Loads)
Comp-N-Choke + Winchester Hi-Velocity (Copper Plated Lead Loads)
Pure Gold + Winchester Xtended Range
Indian Creek + Nitro (Hevi-Shot Loads)
Primos Jelly Head + Hevi-Shot (Hevi 13)

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me:
Remington 870
3"
12 ga.
Rhino Choke
#6 Hevi Shot
Bushnell Red Dot

My Wife:
Remington 11-87 Youth
3"
20 ga.
Jelly Head Choke
#6 Hevi Shot
Bushnell Red Dot

Lori's bird from this year.
[Linked Image]

Mike

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 12/18/08.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I kill em cheaper than alot of people these days.
Remington 870 supermag 23 inch barrel
fiocchi 3.5 inch nickel plated 5's
carlson's ported .660

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use my old 870. I bought it back in 1971. It only shoots 2 3/4" shells but they do the trick. I bought a 30" barrel a few years ago with screw-in chokes----but I mainly still use the standard full choke. I also have an extra full. Shells, I killed them with Activ #4's &6's, Remington duplex(4x6), Federal 4's & 6's. Loads were 1 3/4 in Activ, 1 1/2 & 1 5/8 in the other 2.

My guns is good to go out to 40 yards. It's worked on a couple @ 45 yards----when I missed judged yardage.

IMO--- you really don't need the 3 1/2" or even the 3". The trick is to get them in @ 25 yards. CB

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great job with the 20ga.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Many varieties of combinations work well in people's set ups there are no doubts about that.

I'm obsessed with "blistering" patterns. Here's a typical 45 yard pattern from the gun I nicknamed "The Beard Buster". I dotted each pellet hit with a blue marker. This is the same target, just front and back...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whewwww.......That'll git'r done!!!! Hate to be a long beard in your neck of the woods!! wink

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Tim. I think she loves turkey hunting more than I do. She has three out of four on her Grand Slam quest. She just needs that pesky booger from Fla. Then she wants to skip Mexico and go straight to the Yucatan. Told her she better start saving. grin

Mike

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
She just needs that pesky booger from Fla.

Good luck on "waxing" one... Those milk cattle farms that back up to the swamps are loaded with them.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are there any outfitters down there that you could recommend?

Mike

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Are there any outfitters down there that you could recommend?

Mike

I mainly hunt Georgia with some ventures into Alabama. I have hunted a friend's uncle's milk cow farm in middle Florida and is where I connected with my Osceola. I'll ask around for you and see what I can come up with as to where and names...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Encore w/20 turkey barrel and choke
Aimpoint Red Dot
Winchester #5's

Been knocking down lots of birds every year, for years with that combo. Longest shot? 42 yards, last spring. A 20 works fine!!!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks D2D, I'd appreciate that. We will probably be looking at spring of 2010.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oseola Outfitters comes pretty highly reccommended.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mossberg 500A. 3" 12Ga. Mr Claymore--- Web

Attached Images
11727-MrClaymore2.jpg (90.94 KB, 153 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Serb

tell us about your calling techs...you seem to strike with regularity...Its a little tougher up here in PA, but I'm hunting public ground alot though..I use the pot and peg too, but dont strike so often..whats the secret if you have any.

When i hear a gobbler on the roost i try to get within 100 yards before he comes off the roost. I start with the tree yelp with my slate or diaphragm call and if he answers i will wait a few minutes and then try him again. I then wait until it is shooting light and then i use a wings to simulate the fly down. If he is roosted aways from the hens you have a good chance of him flying down close to you. If he gets with the hens it is very hard to get him to come in unless you can call the hens in and he will follow, which doesn't happen very often. If not i try moving and calling until i can find one with no hens. Most birds i kill happens after ten when the hens start going off to lay. I personally believe if you stay home and didn't go in the woods until late morning you would kill just about as many birds as being in the woods when daylight is breaking, but this is hard to do, because i love watching the woods come alive in the spring. I like the box call for finding and locating birds and the diaphragm for close in calling because of less movement. The real secret to killing birds is finding them. My favorite choke in my Super 90 is the Kicks Gobbling Thunder. I few i have taken in the last few years.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wldthg
Mr Claymore

Great name. Had me smiling for 5 minutes.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Since about 1999 or was it 2000? I have been using a Benelli SBE. Before that Remington 870.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Youkonal----- My shot gun is named after someone from back in the early 70's. Nice guy, but could be very mean if you got on the wrong side of him. Sounds like you knew him. Web

[Linked Image]
M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm all 20s, all the time. Right now, my favorite is a Benelli M1 24" 20ga shooting Nitro straight #7 Hevis thru a PureGold .555. Over the last 4 turkey seasons, I've killed 22 gobblers with a variety of 20ga guns. I can't see ever going back to a 12ga. Here's a pattern shot from that Benelli 20...
Measured 40yrds, 10" circle, 259 hits!
[Linked Image]

Mike

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MKW,
That's too awesome of a pattern. Congrats!

22 birds in 4 seasons; wow! That's spectacular.

What all states do you hunt?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks. I hunt GA and FLA every year, which gives me five gobblers a season. In 2007, I hunted FLA, GA, TX, OK, KS, and NEB. That was the sping when I killed 2 Grand Slams in one spring. I only killed 4 in 06 myself, but that spring, I called 29 longbeards to the gun...my best spring ever. I've been turkey hunting for 14yrs, but only started keeping up with numbers 4 seasons ago when I started hunting exclusively with 20ga guns. Before that, I didn't even keep the beards or spurs.
I know it sounds like an aweful lot of turkey killing, and it is, but y'all have to understand that turkey hunting is the one passion(besides my family) that I have in life. And, I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt 6 days a week for about 10 weeks, so I'm in the woods A LOT!

Mike

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My turkey gun is a Remington 11/87 supermag with a rifle sighted smoothbore and a .665 Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke shooting 3 1/2" Winchester 2 3/8 ounce copperplated #5's.
My wifes turkey gun is a Remington youth NWTF 870 with a 18" barrel and a Primos Jellyhead choke shooting copperplated #5's also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 3. I like them all equally well. 1 is an H&R 10 ga. 36" barrel, 2nd is the newer version. NEF 10 ga turkey gun with a Kick's Gobblin thunder choke. An lastly is a Rem Super Mag 12 ga 3 1/2", also with a Kick's choke.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Longbeardking] 1 is an H&R 10 ga. 36' barre, 2nd is the newer version. NEF 10 ga turkey gun with a Kick's Gobblin thunder choke. An lastly is a Rem Super Mag 12 ga 3 1/2", also with a Kick's choke.

OUCH! cry

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukonal
[quote=Longbeardking] 1 is an H&R 10 ga. 36' barre, 2nd is the newer version. NEF 10 ga turkey gun with a Kick's Gobblin thunder choke. An lastly is a Rem Super Mag 12 ga 3 1/2", also with a Kick's choke.

OUCH! cry

No OUCH cry I neglected to tell you I am 64 years young. Of course you feel it when you pattern it, but you only do that once. Shooting at a bird, it's just natural.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Browning A5 Magnum in 12 Ga.for me. Plain old factory original 32 " full choke barrel it has always worn. Seems to work ok

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Remington 870 express 20ga. jelly head choke. federal #5's. Wichester black box used to be the shell but now they're $40-50 bucks a box.

Camp is where you make it.
J
J
This is a really great thread! And seems like a great site.

Since the OP suggested this will help Newbs, maybe I could get some advice.

I have a desire to turkey hunt. I've never done it before and don't know squat. I used to hunt deer and loved it. I had a quite a few good experiences with it and grew up doing it with my Cousins and Uncles. However, I had some health challenges and am just getting strength back. Anyways, Turkey is something I can eat regularly and I thought it might be a good way to make inroads back into hunting.

Anyways, I have 2 shotguns. Well, now 3 but one is a .410. I don't think either one would work unless I modify. I have a mossy 12 Gauge with a Smoothbore slug barrel and an Ithaca 12 gauge with a 26" barrel that has modified choke integral. That one is also only a 2-3/4". That one seems like the best bet but I'm thinking not enough choke. Is it not?

So I have a couple of options, get a different barrel for the Mossy, or a get a new one. Or use the Ithaca if that's "good enough".

I've been looking at 20's because I wouldn't mind getting something that gets the job done with the least amount of pain. I've never been into recoil and I'm lighter now than I used to be and not as strong. Trying to find the balancing act or best of both worlds of a not so heavy to lug around gun with the least amount of recoil that will work. hehehehehehe. Lot to ask for eh? Anyways, I was thinking a 20 Semi with a choke. Maybe the Mossberg SP20? Or an 11-87? I don't really like the mossberg 500 I have, it doesn't really fit real well. I actually like the Ithaca better fit wise.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help. And thank you guys for the info posted already.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
JJ, welcome to the site.
I think a 11/87 in 20 gauge with screw in chokes would be a perfect combo for you as the semi-auto soaks up a little kick.
It would be in a 2 3/4" - 3" chamber so very versitle as well as the screw in chokes you could have an array of combo possibilities.
If buying a new gun with your prerequisets thats the way I'd fly but if just buying a new barrel I think the mossy would get a new tube with screw in choke capability.
Good luck.

J
J
So the Ithaca is probably a no go, eh? I haven't patterned it yet, but I'm not sure I should even bother. I suppose I could get an idea as to how close I'd have to be and go from there.

Thanks for the response, btw, and the welcome.

Last edited by JJABPOS; 01/01/09.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Probably wouldnt hurt to try the Ithaca, at least then you will know where you stand with it.
Just try different loads and shot sizes at a turkey sized target at various distances to see what you come up with.
If it doesnt seem to do what you want than work your way to your next gun or if you want/need a new one than at least you know you've exhausted your current options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ--Welcome to the fire. If you are not all that keen on your Mossberg, an option (and a good one) would be to trade it off on a 20gauge Encore turkey gun, and at the same time, order a 20gauge slug barrel. You can use the same gun for both seasons, just switch barrels.

My Encore slug barrel is VERY accurate, and the gun fits and feels great. Hope this helps.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

J
J
That is a good suggestion. I hate the way they look though. I don't know why. I know, that's probably stupid.

I don't know if I'm all that worried about keeping a slug barrel around though, although I probably should. Hmmmmmm...

Last edited by JJABPOS; 01/02/09.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Remington SP-10
10 Gauge
Rhino Choke
Nitro Hevi-Shot Ammo - straight #4s
Switching a US Optics 1.5-6x26 for the EOTech that's in the photo.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I would go with my 11 gauge flintlock. Or my 32 caliber flinter when rifle is an option. Open sights of course. I don't know of an upper limit to gauge allowed for turkeys, unlike waterfowl's 10 gauge max.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22 hornet or 300 whisper

I have three 12 gauges and my favorite is the Remington 870, with the Indian Creek Choke. Nice looking pics of those toms congrats.

Joshua 24:15 "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.�
St. John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Two 870's with Kick's chokes for me. I shoot Nitro 4x5x7 3" hevi shot and 3" Win HV #4's.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Remington 11/87 Sportsman 12ga full Mossy Oak Camo with 25" VR RC Turkey 3" Winchester # 5.

Also having a 28" blue VR cut to 23" Rem-Choke then off to Jim Crumley's for Mossy Oak Camo job.

4 turkies in 7 years. The other 3 years the toms were just hened-up and couldn't pull them away. 2008 bird was 20 1/2 lbs 9" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

Ken

Last edited by firearms44; 01/22/09.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
MKW,

I got a couple of questions for you.

What size load are you shooting in your 20GA? And second, how many #7 shot total are in one of them loads? I can shoot a 12GA 2oz #6 load that has I believe approx 450 shot in each shell and only consistently put 300 shot in a 8.5"x11" piece of copy paper with a turkey head on it at only 25yds. And that is with some great shooting 12GA shotguns. I personally find it hard to believe that you can truly put 256 shot in a 10" circle consistently at a legitimate 40yd distance. I have some great shooting 12 GA guns, and none of them even with 2oz of heavy shot will do this with a bigger back bore barrel than a 20GA which by the way will only allow the shot more breathing room thus producing tighter patterns at farther distances. I for one don't use 6 shot. I use 2 and 1/4 oz Win Supreme #4 loads with Undertaker .695 choke on a Mossberg 835. I get consistent 90% patterns at 40yd. I have killed gobblers at 53 and 59yds with this set up. 4 shot just kills turkeys farther when you get out to 50yds and more from my findings. 6 shot is like pepper spray at that distance on a turkey. A gobbler at 50yds with this setup doesn't have a prayer. I guess I have tested a lot of shotguns on cardboard to know that something ain't right in Denmark.

Last edited by BradC; 02/09/09.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am just plain drawn to doubles.
This O/U Merkel was nice to carry,shot a nice full pattern but kicked the snot out of me. (2 3/4" ). I wanted it for pheasants as well, but it was not fun to shoot.
So my next bird will be hopefully taken with a SxS.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't count all the holes in my target but my 20ga bangs the hell out of turkeys out to 42 yds. makes 'em dead. Patterns better than most all of my 12ga.'s

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have several shotguns but my turkey gun is an 1100, matte finish with black synthetic stock during turkey season (it wears some nicely figured skeet B wood the rest of the year).

I use a Briley extra full turkey tube in a 28" barrel and it shoots just about anything I feed it just fine.

I might break down and a new turkey gun this year, I don't know though. If I run across a deal on a 3 1/2" 870, I might pick one up.

STILL clinging to my guns and my religion.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My Mossberg 835 kills turkey dead at 50yds consistently in the woods or on cardboard, the turkey is dead. No 20GA will come close to that. None! Like I said, I get 90% patterns at 40yds. I can consistently put 33% of my load inside a piece of standard copy paper at that distance. A bird ain't got a chance. And I don't need Hevi-Shot loads to do it to try and improve my patterns.

Last edited by BradC; 02/12/09.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Brad, what load do you use?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am using several different rigs, 10,12, and 20 myself.

Remington SP-10
Rhino Choke
Nitro 4x5x7 shells

Stoeger 12 ga
IC choke
hand loads

Browning Gold
Comp-N-Choke
#6 Hevi shot

Benelli M1 20ga
Pure Gold Choke
Hand loads (but looking to try some Nitro's)

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BradC
My Mossberg 835 kills turkey dead at 50yds consistently in the woods or on cardboard, the turkey is dead. No 20GA will come close to that. None! Like I said, I get 90% patterns at 40yds.

That is funny right there.

I'll pound 'em all day at 50.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Winchester Supreme 2 and 1/4oz #4 loads
H.S. Undertaker .695 choke

I would love to see a 20GA that could pound them all day at a legit 50yds and not stepped off either. I can pound them all day long at a legit 55yds from what I have seen from actual shooting them in the woods. 53yds and 59yds and both went straight down.

My 835 will laugh at a 20GA on paper and in the woods.

And I don't have to rely on the expensive Hevi-Shot loads to do it.

Last edited by BradC; 02/14/09.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Take your good shooting 20GA and put 33% of your shot in a piece of copy paper at 40yds with a #4 turkey load. There is 305 #4 shot in a 2 and 1/4oz load. I can put anywhere from about 100 to 120 shot in a 8.5" x 11 piece of paper at 40yds. #4 shot simply will kill turkeys better at longer ranges. It takes a great shooting shotgun to consistently hit vertebrae of a turkeys head and neck at 50yds with even 6 shot loads. And if you don't hit the small area, the bird is gone with these 6 shot loads. Its' that simple. I can miss vertebrae which I doubt that I do, and still break wingbones, leg bones and penetrate into the vitals. On the gobbler I shot at 53yds, I had a shot actually penetrate the heart. I broke wingbones and leg bones as well. The bird was immobilized. The same thing happened on the bird at 59yds. I'll take a gun that shoots 90% patterns with heavy #4 turkey loads over one that shoots 90% patterns with heavy 6's or 5's anyday. My Mossberg 835 actually shoots 90% patterns with all 3 shot sizes if I change to a tigther choke tube for the 5's and 6's. But I know what kills better. That's why I use #4's. 4's are where it is at in my book. Most shotguns with a .735 backbore barrel like a Rem 870 or 11/87 won't shoot the heavy #4 turkey loads very well. The 835's have the 10GA .775 backbore barrel which improves the pattern substantially when using these heavy #4 turkey loads.

Last edited by BradC; 02/15/09.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Me:

A Mossberg 500 in 12 GA with a 1.5-4.5x scope and a Carlson Dead Coyote Choke shooting Federal 3" #4

Moose:(16)

A Mossberg 500 in 12 GA with True-Glo choke and sights shooting Federal 3" #4

Angus: (10)

A Mossberg bolt action in 20 GA shooting Federal 3" #4

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg 535 ATS, 12 ga, 3 1/2" chamber, stock fiber optic sites on the 22" barrel, Primos .660 Tight Wad Turkey Tube, Federal 3" #5 Mag-Shok High Velocity Lead with FLITECONTROL.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My 835 will laugh at a 20GA on paper and in the woods.

And I don't have to rely on the expensive Hevi-Shot loads to do it.

Haven't shot paper with it for two years... only turkeys.I don't know the % of hole in the paper at 10,20,30, or 80 yds. Don't care. There were 30 holes in the turkey head silloette at 40yds, and that will kill any turkey that walks, puts, or struts. I shot it twice to see if it was a consistant, and that was all I needed.

No heavi shot. Remington Express Long Range 2 3/4" #5 shot.

No that wansn't a misprint. I have only shot two birds with it beyond 40yds, 1@ 43 1 # 49. both were dead. I don't think another 1 yd would throw the pattern off. I also misjuded the distance, because I would not ever shoot a turkey that far away on purpose with any guage. Getting them in close is where the fun is at for me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I thought I should note. That is not my usual turkey gun. But for two years ago it was all I had to use.

I do like the 12's mostly for the ammo choices, but that 20 is so nice to carry and it I know it like my own hand. It may not be the best choice, but it was all I had for a while.

Last year I used a Mossberg somethig or other 20" barrel 12ga with 2 3/4" Federal #5 with Flite control wad. Shot my bird at the super long range of 7yds.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I owned a Rem 870 20GA that I bought for my son when he was younger to turkey hunt with. I tested it with various choke tubes and loads. It shot pretty good, but I doubt that it would kill a turkey much farther than 40yds. It might go a tad farther if you got lucky. I wouldn't even think of comparing it side by side with my 835. There is no comparison which one will kill turkeys farther or better. Dead is dead I suppose, but I won't recommend a 20GA to anyone who wants what I call a true turkey gun that can extend your lethal range by at least 10 to 15yds from my experience and not going off of hearsay what you read or hear from a friend or another guy on the net. Seeing is believing in my book. 20 gages are ok for some, but not for me.

Judging by some of the targets on this thread I think some of the guys on here need to hang some targets at a legitimate 50yds where I can shoot right next to them with my 835, and we can truly see just how many shot they can put in a turkey head with their supposedly great shooting guns. I bet in the real world they would not like the outcome.

Last edited by BradC; 02/16/09.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Heres a crappy pic of a 40 yard pattern w/ nickel plated 4's, 870 supermag and .660 choke. I'm happy with that.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You're hung up on the 835. The make, model, and gauge really have nothing to do with it. I used an 835 util mag, or whatever the hell it was last year. Honestly, that gun doesn't even begin to tickle my funny bone. It had a lot of plastic, it was noisy as hell, then camo dip wore off in less than 40 shots, and I couldn't get it to patteren with anything at all. But again, it was all I had at the time.

You say seeing is believing, well I'm a believer in the 20ga. Don't really care what you think or have read. I have shot it, and seen what it does. How about a dead turkey at 33yds, not steped, measured yds for you, with an improved cylinder and #6 dove loads. Yep, did it, don't care if you believe it. My wife and father in law were whitnesses. We all ate the bird about 45 minutes after it died. It has little to do with what ga, or brand of gun you use. It is how you use it.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be willing to lean that 835 on a post at 50yds and let me shoot at would you?

I'm done arguing this point. In May, I'm going to shoot a turkey with my silly old 870 20ga, and put it up on here.

T

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mossbergs aren't even in the same class as 870's. Any shotgun on the market will pattern more than exceptable patterns within normal ranges. I'd rather not have a rattle trap 835

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm not hung up on the 835, I'm hung up on the way it shoots 2 and 1/4oz of Win #4 turkey loads at 40yds and farther. I agree the 835's aren't in the same class as the 870's for overall quality. But I bought the Mossberg because it will out shoot the 870's with heavy 4 shot loads. I know that to be a fact. I've tested all 3 of the 870's I have owned and seen a many of other 870's shoot. They work fine eith 6's and 5's. But they won't shoot 2oz or 2 and 1/4oz #4 loads well from what I have seen trying various chokes and loads. I haven't seen a 870 yet that shot heavy 4 loads well. I guess there may be some, but every 870 and 11/87 barrel will have about the same exact dimenstions.

You stick with what you like. I'll stick with the 835 that kills turkeys farther.

I have buddies who have 835's as well. They shoot about the exact same as mine.

Last edited by BradC; 02/16/09.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shoot 2 3/8 ounce 4's and 5's outta my 870 with great results willing to bet as good or better than the average 835.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have tried the Fiocchi shells in several of my different turkey guns and I honestly wasn't impressed except in the 20GA gun. And it shot the Remington shells better. To my knowledge, Remington uses the same backbore on all their 3" and 3.5" 12GA shotguns and they have yet to change anything. And out of all the 12 GA shotguns I have owned and tested, not a one would shoot heavy #4 loads with a a choke tighter than .680. But that has been my findings. Your results may vary.

Last edited by BradC; 02/17/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Funny you should mentioin Fiocchi. I tried them in my 835 last year. The shot OK but I wouldn't eject them once they were fired. I had to take the gun apart every time I shot one. 3" in a 3 1/2" chamber, so that wasn't the problem. They wouldn't even come out of the chamber. That was to bad too, because they patterend OK and they're cheap.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd be more apt to place blame on the gun not the shell. The 3.5 inchers work fine in my 870 and I've shot several boxes of there 2 3/4 golden pheasants without a hiccup. Mossbergs are known for being picky.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Seeing is believing I guess.

My 835 isn't picky.

But I won't say it will shoot like your world record gun.

But it will shoot consistent 90% patterns at 40yds with 4's 5's or 6's. That's been my finding to be superb to most guns out there that I have either shot or seen shoot in person and not going by a picture on the internet but in the real world.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I never claimed my gun to be a world record gun. I go for a totally different pattern than the guys do at the shoots do. They have very dense center of there patterns that have holes in the pattern around the 3 inch a quick look at a good still target pattern would show this. I go for really dense yet even patterns. Brad I'm sure me and you would agree more than we'd disagree about shotgun patterns. We both like even patterns of bigger shot and don't think you need hevi shot to kill turkeys.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Your probably right about that. I guess I'm going to have to try some of the 2 and 3/8oz Fiocchi #4 loads. I have tried the 1 and 3/8oz loads and they weren't very good. But that was years ago. I know I shot some of the Kent 2 and 3/8oz I believe loads, and they didn't shoot too well.

How big is that cardboard you posted with the #4 load?

Last edited by BradC; 02/18/09.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Honestly I don't know. My Dads an auto mechanic and them cardboard come from the inside of car wheels when they are shipped he got a pile of em. I don't think they are much over 20 inches. They are all at our cabin so I have no way to measure it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No need for hevi-shot, but it does pattern nicely. It just cost too much for what you get out of it. I have had great success the last few years with the Federals regular turkey load, with the Flite Control wad.

In several sizes too. But I have had the best luck with Remington Express Long Range, in 12 and 20ga. Beleive it or not, in the 12, the 2 3/4" #4 are fantastic out of my 870.

I had a Benelli M-1 that would only shoot Winchester Supremes, the expensive ones. I don't get too caught up on what % of shot is in the target. If it is evenly distributed on the target, and has a good # of shot in the turkey head and neck, I use it.

30yds and in, there isn't much that doesn't pattern well enough to kill a turkey. Even a Mossberg 835 would do at that range. smile

T

M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
MKW,

I got a couple of questions for you.

What size load are you shooting in your 20GA? And second, how many #7 shot total are in one of them loads? I can shoot a 12GA 2oz #6 load that has I believe approx 450 shot in each shell and only consistently put 300 shot in a 8.5"x11" piece of copy paper with a turkey head on it at only 25yds. And that is with some great shooting 12GA shotguns. I personally find it hard to believe that you can truly put 256 shot in a 10" circle consistently at a legitimate 40yd distance. I have some great shooting 12 GA guns, and none of them even with 2oz of heavy shot will do this with a bigger back bore barrel than a 20GA which by the way will only allow the shot more breathing room thus producing tighter patterns at farther distances. I for one don't use 6 shot. I use 2 and 1/4 oz Win Supreme #4 loads with Undertaker .695 choke on a Mossberg 835. I get consistent 90% patterns at 40yd. I have killed gobblers at 53 and 59yds with this set up. 4 shot just kills turkeys farther when you get out to 50yds and more from my findings. 6 shot is like pepper spray at that distance on a turkey. A gobbler at 50yds with this setup doesn't have a prayer. I guess I have tested a lot of shotguns on cardboard to know that something ain't right in Denmark.

I'm sorry that I didn't see this post sooner, but this is not one of the sights that I get to often.
Now, let me start by saying that I don't care one bit what you believe or don't believe.
I shoot Nitro #7s(1&7/16oz) thru(mostly)PureGold .555 chokes. I have shot just about every choke/load combo available for a 20ga. I shot Hevi13 #6s until they messed up that load in 07. I could get in the 150s with the 06 and prior load. When they changed it, I lost approximately 30% of my pattern density, so I went to Nitros. My range is set up at exactly 40 measured yards. I have been at this patterning thing a long time and used to shoot about 80 turkey loads every spring at paper. I have probably shot as many 20ga turkey loads as any one person out there. At one time, I had 7 different 20ga turkey guns that would do 200+ in a 10" circle at 40yrds. All with Nitro 7s. As I said, I don't care what you believe cause I can assure you that those 22 longbeards that have fallen to my 20ga guns in the last 4 seasons believe that my 20ga is enough gun for turkeys.
Take care,
Mike

Last edited by MKW; 02/24/09.
M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BradC,
I just read thru all of your posts on this thread. Do you really believe that lead #4s will penetrate better at 50 yrds than #5 or #6 Hevishot?? If you do, you are living in the dark ages of turkey loads and really need to do some research. I can understand that you might be completely satisfied with how the lead #4s perform for you, but to say that they kill better than #5 or #6 Hevi is just simply NOT true, at all.

Mike

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can I get a AMEN!!!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Mike,

What I believe is that I can kill a turkey probably consistently as far shooting 2 and 1/4oz Win Supreme #4 loads and a .695 Undertaker choke from my 835 as you probably can kill with Hevi-Shot #5 or #6 loads. The thing is all the #4 are exactly that #4 size shot. With Hevi-Shot 5's or 6's, your getting a lot of smaller size shot mixed in. So they aren't all 5's or 6's. Another reason why the Hevi-Shot patterns as well as it does. I seriously doubt a true #6 Hevi-Shot will give you the same foot/lbs of energy as a #4 copper plated shot. They may be harder, but they only weigh approx 10% more than lead. So you explain to me how it will have more energy. And most of the Hevi-Shot loads are rated at slower speeds as well.

Last edited by BradC; 02/25/09.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My 835 shoots about 6 to 8" low. So does my buddy's 835. That's the way I like it. Think of it like this, and it does work for killing a tukey if you think about it using heavy #4 loads. When you shoot a turkey and aim for the head at say 40yds with a gun that shoots a perfectly centered pattern, half of your shot is being wasted shooting over the bird. I can aim at the head and the majority of my shot is slamming into not only the neck area but the bird itself. Like I said, I break wing bone, leg bone, and do major damage to the birds body as well as putting shot up and down the neck of the bird. The bird I dropped at 59yds dropped in its tracks as well as the bird at 53yds. A bird at 55yds I'm almost certain will consistently go down from what I have seen by the results in the turkey woods using these heavy #4 loads and the setup I have. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a bird that hung up at 60yds. I would say I would have pretty good odds of killing the bird.

This gun is a turkey buster and I don't have to have Hevi-Shot loads to reach out there at the farther ranges.

M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you are happy, I'm happy for you. If you ever shoot much Hevishot, you will quickly figure out that it is FAR superior to ANY lead shell. There are a bunch of penetration tests that have been performed that prove this conclusively. I hate to even tell you this, but I killed a turkey in 07 at 52yrds (ranged after the shot) and he went down as hard as any I have ever shot. This was with a 20ga Encore and #7 hevi Nitros. Those little "pixie dust" #7s are bad news for turkeys. My Nitro #7s are traveling at 1200fps, so they have all the power of most 12ga loads. A lot of guys have trouble with 20ga turkey guns AND #7 shot, but all reservations go away once you actually use this stuff.
Good luck this spring,
Mike

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a bird that hung up at 60yds. I would say I would have pretty good odds of killing the bird.

This gun is a turkey buster and I don't have to have Hevi-Shot loads to reach out there at the farther ranges.

A good turkey call would work wonders in these situations.

60yds...gimme a firggin break.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have killed them close. Some were right on top of me. But I won't hesitate to shoot a bird at 55yds or slightly farther that doesn't seem to cooperate.

Yea, Reloader told me those #7 Nitro reloads he has are wicked. I have been thinking about trying some of the Hevi-Shot shells in my 835. I have shot some of the old Remington Hevi-Shot loads. They shot real well in a Browning Gold. They were the 3" 1 and 3/4oz #6 loads. I liked the way they shot. I may end up making the switch after I try some 3" 2oz Hevi_shot #6 loads.

I just wished they were cheaper.

M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yeah, the cost keeps a lot of people away from Hevi loads, especially Nitros, but when that's my ONLY link between me and a dead turkey, I'll spend the $6.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 870's with no modifications other than an extra full turkey choke and sling swivels added. My 12 gauge is an Express in 3 inch. I shoot Federal turkey loads with 2 oz. of # 6 shot.
My 20 gauge is an older WingMaster in 2-3/4 inch with a full choke barrel. I shoot Federal magnums with 1-1/8 oz of # 7-1/2 shot

[Linked Image]

These four birds were taken with one shot using the 12 gauge.
[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
What shot size works best with your rhino choke? I have an 870 with the factory choke still in it and I need a choke that works good with #4s

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12GAUGE619
What shot size works best with your rhino choke? I have an 870 with the factory choke still in it and I need a choke that works good with #4s

Each gun, choke will pattern a little different with differing shells, shot sizes, construction.

I know that Rhino, Pure Gold and Indian Creek tubes really shine with Nitro Company triplex shells in Hevi Shot.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.