Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I just got one in .223, but haven't got to shooting it yet. It's the first one I've owned and was surprised at how heavy it is.

I bought one new in '78. With the origional barrel, it still shots bug holes with Vit N120 and 40g BT's, chrono's at 3800 fps.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a used .243 for my middle son about 6 years ago. Paid 150.00 for it. Very accurate. He decided about 4 years ago to buy a new Tikka 270 wsm. Well, he still hunts with the 788 and the new Tikka sits in the gun cabinet. Can anyone tell me if the 700 barrel will fit these? I don't want to rebarrel this one but I always keep my eyes open to see if I could find a fixxer upper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No rifle is truly ugly, that consistantly puts bullets into very tiny groups year after year.

I once insulted a guy that brought his then-new Golden Eagle into a buddy's gas station one night and pronounced it to be the most beautiful rifle ever made. He was on a roll, until I had the temerity to ask him, "How's it shoot?"

I own rifles that are even harder on the eyes than M788s, but the only reason I still have them, is because they shoot very well. I can be fairly flexible about looks, if something delivers.

Am a tad fussier about wimmin and trucks, tho.;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know a guy who has two 788's he is pondering selling, a 308 carbine and a .223, both appear to have never been fired, I could pass on anyone interested, I believe he wants around 400 each

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
$400 is a pretty good price, i gave $525 for my 22-250

6.5mm's rock
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...The most accurate rifle , straight stock from the box, I've ever owned was a truly rare bird! The rifle was bench rest accurate with Winchester and Hornady ammo, a Remington varmint weight 788 in 22/250, it shot numerous 5 shot groups that could easily be covered by a DIME! I had no use for it, other than paper punching, and traded it off here on our forum for a new in the box CZ550FS in 7X57 Mauser. The CZ turned out to be exceptionally accurate as well, so I'm very happy to have a deer gun in such a vintage caliber.
....The Remington 788, especially the carbine models are great handling guns and tend to be supremely accurate pieces.Those found with Walnut stocks are uncommon but far more desirable to me.A carbine opened up to .358 Winchester would be a great all around big game hunting companion!

Last edited by olhippie; 12/29/08.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Below is a picture of my wife with her 788 in 22-250 and a coyote she shoot a while back. I bought the gun new sometime in the late 70's and let her shoot it. She confiscated it for her own use and I had to go buy me another 22-250. Hate it when that happens. The good thing was, I'm lefthanded, I found a lefthanded 700 in 22-250 but the bad thing was it took a lot of dinking to make it shoot as well as the old 788.
Doc
[Linked Image]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I doubt that there has ever been another mass produced rifle of the lower price end that has had as high a percentage of incredible shooters, although Savage would probably come the closest. I just traded off a 243 788 that would go under half inch regularly if I did my part. Hated to see it go but I traded it for a LH 788 in 6mm Remington. Haven't shot it yet but the former owner claimed it is a shooter as well.

I have heard that one thing that helps the accuracy is that the 788 has a very fast lock time and that the receiver itself is quite stiff. Don't know if those are facts but the proof is in the bug hole groups!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The quick lock time is probably the single biggest reason for good accuracy, that and pretty darn good barrels for a rifle that cost less than $100 when introduced.

I have two of them in 22-250 and for whatever reason, those bbls are substantially heavier than either the M788 222 or 243 barrels are.

Was tempted to buy a new one in 7mm-08 back when they came out, but never did get around to it. Liked the idea of that stubby barrel for a handy deer rifle.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...The rear lock up and ultra fast lock time do contribute to the 788's reputation for accuracy. It would seem that the rear lock up might auger for poorer accuracy, but if that be so ,why have I found that every 22RF that Remington put out with the same lock up as the 788 have been tack drivers too! I've owned an example of every 22RF model (580-581-582-541) that Remington has produced and every one of them has been superbly accurate! I still own a 541T and a 580 single shot, either of which will tick off a line up of 22 shell casings at 50 yds without a miss if I do my part. Either print one hole groups at 50 yds with quality ammo. There is something about the old Remington 788 design that engenders a pride of ownership that far exceeds the beauty of it's wood and metal, that something is what makes all rifles most interesting, ACCURACY!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot about the quick lock time, that certainly contributes to the "shootability" part of the accuracy. Remington also has (or at least had) the reputation for making some of the best factory barrels.

I'd guess that the receiver configuration is what contributes the most to it's mechanical accuracy. Big tubular receiver with only a small bit of metal removed for an ejection port and magazine inlet makes for a very stiff platform to hang a barrel from. Didn't the bench rest guys try to accomplish the same thing by sleeving certain actions? Also the Tikka is known for very consistent accuracy from factory rifles and it has the same general configuration of receiver - small ejection port and mag opening.

Can't prove it but that would be my take on it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7mm-08 is by far my most accurate rifle. Half inch groups are the usual for most loads. Yep, it's ugly though!!!

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same with my 6mm. Loves light Ballistic Tips and IMR 4350.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check it out:

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/788.html

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can be fairly flexible about looks, if something delivers.

I worked for a manager that divorced a woman who was supposedly a real looker. During my time at the store he wound up marrying a gal that would charitably be described as plain. I was nearby when someone asked him about this and he said some women may look like a million bucks but f*%k like a nickel, others look like a nickel but ......... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can verify part of that "silent recall" bidness mentioned in the link.

When the bolt stop broke on the 22-250 (perhaps around the early to mid 80s?), called Rem to see if they had any replacements. They had none. The offer was for me to ship them the "defective" M788 and in return, I'd get a coupon for X number of dollars off for a new M700. I declined the offer. Already had enough M700s.

Heaps of verity in that million bucks vs the nickel analogy. I got divorced on the cusp of the Women's Liberation movement and still have lots of great memories from that era, especially of the assorted nickels that I was lucky enough to encounter.

A buddy of mine that dawdled a bit before he got divorced, was initially annoyed at the prospect of a woman buying him a beer at the local tavern. Told him he'd get used to it, if'n he knew what was good for him.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple years ago, I inherited my Dad's 788 in .22-250. My
brother and I shot it a lot when we were teenagers in the pdog
towns of SW Nebraska. It was my Dad's one and only deer rifle
and not one mulie did he ever lose with that rifle.

My brother and I learned to reload for that rifle. Dad would not
buy ammo for pdog shooting but did furnish powder, primers and
bullets. Each of us also got a deer with that rifle. After all,
after shooting pdogs all summer, a pinpoint shot on a deer was
nothing....not even a challenge.

On a recommendation from one of his neighbors, Dad never
cleaned the barrel after removing the factory crud. The
neighbor convinced him it was the worst thing he could do and
would ruin the accuracy (I feel the neighbor ruined the crown
on his .30-06 with his cleaning methods). After bringing it
home and inspecting the bulged cases, I saw a barrel cleaning
was long, long past due. Ever try to get 35 years worth of
powder/copper residue out of a barrel? It took me over a month.

I'm going to have to recall what loads we all used in it. With
IMR4320, 55gr Hornady SP's pushed around 3600fps (as I recall)
a dime would cover 3-shot groups. Loads I have tried with 55gr
bullets with a couple of other powders won't hold inch groups.
However, 40 VMax's and 36gr Varmint Grenades do give 1/2"
groups. She's still a shooter when given fodder she likes.

We should change our politicians
like we change dirty diapers....
and for the same reason.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two 788's; a .222 Rem. that is a dream to shoot and a 7mm-08. I love them both, but I never got used to the 18.5" barrel of the 7-08. It was a very good shooter, but very loud and seemed a little out of balance. Guess that's why I sold it last week!

Kevin Haile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 49 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.