-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's a 9.3 x 62 that was rechambered to Whelen, you're going to need a set of special dies, if they didn't come with the rifle. That conversion was not uncommon after the war, so folks could just use .30-06 brass and shoot these war trophy rifles. Ammunition in the original caliber being pretty much extinct in the 40s.

Not a big problem, but if you shoot factory .35 Whelen you're probably going to get rather disappointing groups. Might still be minute of deer, though. That's a beautiful German stalking rifle, made for the hunt, not the bench.

Is the barrel stamped .35 Whelen? I'd slug it and see if what you really have is a 9.3mm-'06.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely, positively hunt with it. +1 on getting the bore diameter checked out. If it is 9.3/.366 diameter, then get a set of 9.3X62 dies and use them to size 35 Whelen brass and load them, using the seating die from the 9.3X62 set to seat the bullets. Either that, or sell it to me for $500.00 and let me worry about all of the work. Always glad to rescue another member from such tasks.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Great looking rifle, no matter what you decide to do with it.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What markings does the rifle have?
Who did and when was the rebore done?
Other than the System 98 I see no evidence of fine german craftsmenship. The double set trigger contraption certainly is something else.
The "Williams-style" peepsight certainly is uncommon for europe.
As are the barrel style, sling mount, rear sight and stock.

+1 for checking the caliber.

Summary: I would not look to hard for any faint "genuity" or concistency with any period or style or view this as a sample thereof.

I would view this rifle for what it is. A beautifully executed, practical setup in a big game caliber based on a proven design of high manufacture standart.

It begs to be used.

Last edited by cmg; 01/04/09. Reason: something slipped me mind...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Use that gorgeous girl!

A fellow I hunted with 20 years ago in my salad days [early 40's] had a pre-war 300 H&H Super Grade that he used for elk. He used a .270 for deer. He was in his early 70's at that time.

It was very well worn with all of the finish off the stock from the wrist on back. It came from carry in a scabbard not abuse..

I believe he felt like the rifle needed to hunt as bad as him. It wanted to do what it was designed for and it would be a shame to not use it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cmg....what is unusual about the barrel, the sling set-up or the stock. They all look typical of every Sauer sporter from the inter-war period I've seen. Barrel band is not on every one, but otherwise a nice typical German commercial Mauser sporter. Including that weird raised wood filet on the side of the action. Why do they do that....to strengthen it where the inletting is?

Obviously, some American screwed the peep sight on.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was probably chambered in an 8X57/8X60 .318 or .323 bore at one time. The bore eith wore out or pitted and it was re-bored to a .358 and rechambered for a Whelen over here in the states. I've doe this with two guild barrels. They're beatiful examples of old world craftmanship and would cost close to $2K just to duplicate the barrels these day's. More than likly the sight was added about the same time as the re-bore.

It's not original and it's not a collector. It certainly is beautiful though. I would hunt it. As a matter of fact I would use it as a deticated pig rifle.

Terry

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
fishinado;

If you won't hunt with it, TRH will, as would I or likely quite a few others.

If you're not inclined to hunt with it, and are inclined to sell it to someone who will, do so.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As suggested by others here, I'd have a good gunsmith "slug" the barrel and check the chamber to insure it is actually a .35 Whelen. Once that is an established FACT, I'd surely hunt it.

The .35 Whelen (a .30/06 case necked up to .358 caliber) is now a a standard factory-loaded cartridge and a very effective caliber for almost any New World game as long as the range is reasonable.

It is truly a beautiful rifle and those hunters you run into out in the field will certain envy you once they see that rifle. If you decided to add a scope to the rifle, I'd buy only the very best quality because such a rifle "deserves" such treatment.

As to taking pristine rifles out in the field, a good many hunters do it. I use a pristine 56 year old rifle (a 1953 Savage Model 99) which shoots an 89 year old cartridge (the .300 Savage) which was introduced in 1920 in the Savage Model 99. This is one of the finest rifle/caliber combinations ever designed for eastern whitetail deer hunting... and I feel I have an advantage over many of my fellow hunters who use what they feel is the "latest thing".

Do your "homework" and make sure of what you have by insuring what caliber/chamber you actually have, but once that is established, then most certainly take that rifle hunting! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are some more images showing some of the markings. Also, I'm sure the bolt is not original, as it is not the butter knife style, and the #s don't match. Looks to me like it's a military style nicely finished and fitted to the gun. I will absolutely take the advice, and have it checked thoroughly, and will seriously consider using it to murder swine, even though my guide will tease me incessantly. The gun is amazingly well balanced, and svelte. I think it will carry nicely.

I think I'll pass on the $500 dollar offer for now, but I'll think about it. grin

Thank you for all the brilliant advice!!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice! Any pig would consider it an honor to go to swine heaven VIA that rifle.

I picked up a barrel like that a few years ago and had mine bored out to a .338-06. I had it put on a Safari Arms M98 action. It was a fun project and made a beautiful rifle.

Terry

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The interesting thing to me is the half-moon cut out on the front receiver ring. That modification was common on English rifles chambered in 350 Rigby and other longer cases to allow loading bullets that were slightly longer than the overall action window.

Also, the engraving of the caliber designation looks out of place and appears to have been done with an electric pencil or other mechanical engraver unlike the Suhl markings which appear original.

Interesting rifle, but get a chamber cast first in addition to slugging the bore. Have you pulled the action and measured the magazine box?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Military 3 position safety and bolt shroud too. Left rail cut out for stripper clip use. Looks like a stripper clip notch at the top of the receiver just ahead of the peep.
Beautiful as is. It begs to be taken out and used as is.
You might even like the peep sight. I have them on four of mine and I like them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fishinado
Very Nice Gun
My Father In Law Recently Passed and He has a 257 Roberts Imp.
[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd hunt the hell out of that rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is my version of it.

Terry

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would most definitely hunt with it. But I would also first slug the bore and do a chamber casting. Conversion from 9x57 comes to mind, in which case the bore would a couple thou undersize for .35 Whelen, no?

Also, that Lyman sight(#35, I believe) is a desirable/rare item in it's own right. I would love to find one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely. Thats like having a Ferrari in the garage and not driving her.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stunning rifle!
I'd be smiling all day long if I got to hunt with that rifle, even if I didn't get a shot.

Yours too, TC1..! Is that the .338-06 you mentioned?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.