Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
How much weight difference is there between the Talley LW and the standard 2 piece Leupolds?

HR IC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am not sure but the difference wouldn't be enough to matter and it really makes little difference to me personally..

All my rifles have Talley Quick Detachables on them with fitted bases on surface ground receivers so the scope will return to exact zero and it works pretty darn well...I use iron sights a lot so I need a scope to return to exact zero and had some trouble getting that done until I started doing the above....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I recall right about 3-4 oz's, unless one is building a super flyweight I see no reason to worry about it.

I've used both, never had an issue with either. Take your pick either one will work just fine.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have Leupolds now and I'm trying to cut some weight on a Vanguard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stock it with a McMillan with Edge fill will be your best best.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've switched to all Tally's. The weight difference is likely 3-4 oz as Mark points out but the Talley is a 1 piece mount - almost indestructable.

I'd say go Talley and never look back.

Last edited by bwinters; 01/04/09.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B-I've found the good old Leo's to be pretty much indestructable as well. Both are good, ones lighter is all.

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Leupold's are also significantly lower if that is a consideration.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point Rick, not quite sure why Talley doesn't build a super duper low...

Dober

DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have some Leupolds and Tallys, can't tell much difference except weight. Both perform good.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IC B3

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I ordered them. If I can save 4 oz on the mounts and 4 on the scope that's half a pound. It will put in a range where I won't mind to carry it so bad.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Anybody know how Conetrol rings and bases compare in weight to the Talleys? Also, what about SK stuff?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've put some thought into this (which is why my wife thinks she smells smoke)

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Because, the average hunter these days needs a magnum, and a friggin huge scope with a 30MM tube and 55+MM objective. Guys that like scopes like the VXII 2-7, VXIII 2.5-8, and the fixed 4's and 6's are in the minority.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I call that the "Dolly" syndrom...it's all personal choice and I personally choose to chuckle when some chechako sticks a big butt scope on a petite lil rifle... grin

Kind of like taking a varmint gun and stickin a 3X on it aint it...grin

Dober

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was impressed on how well they hold. I purchased a set because that's all that was on the local shops shelf that day.

I would recommend them even if you are not looking to go lighter.

Ted
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Talley LW's weigh about 2.5 ounces. Leupold's with 2-piece baseswill weigh 4.5 to 5.5 ounces, depending on the bases (some are thicker and hence heavier than others), and at least 7 ounces with a 1-piece base. Conetrols go around 4 to 4.5 ounces, again depending on bases, and S&K's around 3.5 ounces.

I use a lot of the Tally LW's just because they are very tough, and very reasonably priced for that toughness. I don't mind if they are a little higher than some others. The toughness partly comes from the fact that there's no base/ring connection.

For detachable mounts it's hard to beat the Talley steel models, which weigh around 4 to 4.5 ounces, again depending on bases. I use a lot of these too, either because I might also use the iron sights on the rifle, or want to carry a spare scope already in mounts. But if you are a typical modern hunter who doesn't even want irons on his rifle, then the LW's are one of the best bargains around, even aside from their weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those wanting a low lightweight combo, the Leupold rifleman rings and bases are aluminum and very light. I have had some on a 300 win mag for several years with no problems. Total cost, about $20. If you are on a budget, these merit a look. They fit on regular Weaver bases.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree there, cliff444. I had Riflemans on a Vanguard in 300Wby. Shot alot of 150s and 180s through it with nary a hiccup from the mounts. Now the horrible trigger was another story!
As far as looks go, the Leupold cheapos look as good as the Talley LWs. However, I have the latter on my Kimber because of the direct mount to the receiver simplicity. Call me two-faced.

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I've put some thought into this (which is why my wife thinks she smells smoke)

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Because, the average hunter these days needs a magnum, and a friggin huge scope with a 30MM tube and 55+MM objective. Guys that like scopes like the VXII 2-7, VXIII 2.5-8, and the fixed 4's and 6's are in the minority.

I was looking at scopes at BPS specifically the 2.5x8 VXIII B&C and sales guy told me they never sale these or the 2x7. Most of my hunting rifles wear 2x7 or 2.5x8s, I even have one 4 and 2.5 fixed scopes in use. I let a shooting buddy talk me into 4.5x14 on 257 Vanguard and really don't care it. I have nice light 3x9 to back on it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Since discovering the Talley lightweights I see no reason to use anything else unless you need to remove the scope to use irons. The steel Leupold rings work, but are more difficult to mount, heavier, more expensive, and not as strong.

I have never used the dual dovetail mounts but think I would prefer them to the windage adjustable mounts. The Rifleman series do not look as smooth but seem to work just fine as do the old Weavers. On rifles with iron sights that I may want to remove the scope these are my choice. With them and Ruger rings I have been able to remove and replace scopes with out losing zero.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 6 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.