Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Things I learned in this thread:

1.) You must stage the trigger on your double action revolver in order to shoot accurately.

2.) Dry firing should not be done.

3.) Dry firing can be done, but never from the holster.

4.) TRH just jinxed himself. grin grin

Travis

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't Tase me Dude!!

Just shoot me in the back.

Bart officers don't seem to have the same qualifications as regular city cops correct?

If this was indeed a mistake it is still murder.
If it was intentional, it's heinous murder

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Jeff Cooper recommended frequent dry fire practice from the holster.

Dude, that's gotta be hard on your leg.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Can't understand why so much energy into something we don't know anything about. Why not wait for the officer's dept. or lawyer to make a statement, then we'll know his side of the story, if he thought he was reaching for a taser, if he had a taser.

Tragic accident, I don't think anyone really thinks at this point he meant to execute a kid in front of a train load of witness's. Whether he got flustered, or is plain stupid, he is going to have to pay along with the city.

smile I'm assuming this pertains to me. I put my energy into it because I can. You gotta remember - ordinarily I live in a truck 24/7 and don't get the chance to tear apart something so profound. I like doing that kind of stuff, but alas, [Linked Image]I never have the opportunity.

I see your point though, and appreciate the diplomatic manner in which you made it. But what the heck - nobody was hurt, and maybe there'll be one or two people who'll be interested in my pics later on.

For now however, it seems as if I'm infringing on a private conversation between friends in which I'm not qualified to participate in. I know nothing about Thunder Ranch; Clint Smith; Glocks (sounds like a bird of some kind to me); double action triggers; etc., etc., etc.

Although I did just learn that
Glock is an Austrian weapons manufacturer (named after the founder Gaston Glock) from Deutsch-Wagram, near Vienna, Austria. Mainly known for being the manufacturer of polymer-framed pistols, Glock also produces equipment such as field knives and entrenching tools. The company was founded in 1963[1], initially manufacturing curtain rods, then branched out into supplying the Austrian Army with machine gun belts, practice hand grenades, plastic magazines, field knives, and entrenching tools during the 1970s

The thread's no longer interesting to me, and so I'll leave it alone for a while.

BTW, if you were addressing me - Putting the little arrows and text on the stills was easy. The hard part was trying to enlarge the actual shooting enough to tell what the shooter is doing without making them so blurry as to be indeterminable. I think I failed in that regard, but I still enjoyed the process.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Also, you will have to call me a liar, because since I first picked up a real firearm in the 1970s till this day, I have never had a gun go off in my hand that I didn't intend to go off.

When the feces hits the fan you do what you practice or train. I trained police officers with the most modern methodology available; everything we have learned about police shootings. One example is an officer was killed because he failed to reload; he was picking up his spent brass because that's what they had to do at the range after every cylinder was fired and ejected. I feel sorry for the innocent person you draw on under stress. His/her fate will be the same as this person you all have convicted this officer for killing.

With regard to the negligent discharge; you don't seem to have any problem living a delusional existence - live with that too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad I took the over on this one.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Also, you will have to call me a liar, because since I first picked up a real firearm in the 1970s till this day, I have never had a gun go off in my hand that I didn't intend to go off.

Well, you're a better man than I. I've had one accidental discharge that I don't see as negligent (the one I mentioned where the firing pin broke), and one negligent discharge (well, two, actually) where a 308 semiauto rifle that I knew had slamfire problems fired an unexpected three-round burst with recoil lofting the third round over the backstop. I should have known better than to fire that rifle with more than one round in the magazine until I had addressed the slamfire problem.

Aside from those, none so far.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, stay prepared. I ain't gonna say it can't happen, but I've yet to see anyone who handles firearms A LOT not have an AD.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What's your best time drawing and firing, putting two rounds on each target at 15 yards, reload, and put two more rounds on each target utilizing the McGivern/Cooper methodology?

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Well, stay prepared. I ain't gonna say it can't happen, but I've yet to see anyone who handles firearms A LOT not have an AD.

All the more reason to observe Rule Two religiously.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Don't Tase me Dude!!

Bart officers don't seem to have the same qualifications as regular city cops correct?

Yep. Agreed. It was murder even if the killing was unintentional if the cop forced the victim into a helpless position without justification. If placing him under arrest (placing him in a helpless state) was not actually justified, the cop is 100% responsible for whatever happens to him while in that helpless condition. Just like if I were to forcibly grab someone and place him on the edge of a precipice. If a gust of wind then blew that person off, and he fell to his death, that would be murder.

Even if the arrest was warranted, but drawing a weapon on him while helpless was not, the cop is 100% responsible for any harm that comes to him while doing that unwarranted and highly dangerous act. Therefore, (assuming his defense is that he thought it was a stun gun) if it is determined that stunning him while cuffed was not justified, his death by handgun constitutes murder.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BMT

Dude, that's gotta be hard on your leg.

BMT
I'd tell you to complain to the man himself, but he can no longer hear you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What's your best time drawing and firing, putting two rounds on each target at 15 yards, reload, and put two more rounds on each target utilizing the McGivern/Cooper methodology?
I don't recall my time in the El Presidente stage. Only time I get timed in shooting is when I'm in a match, and the only thing I care about then is where I place, not my individual time per stage.

PS I have extensively drilled using the method described by McGivern (for revolver) in his book Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, and I have extensively drilled using the method described by Cooper (for 1911s) in his book To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. Are you suggesting they gave bad advice in these regards?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by billhilly
Shooting DA is an acquired skill. Those who can do it well can shoot as good as anyone but it takes practice. I wore a raging blister into a leathery callous learning how before I could even begin to approach my level of competency with a 1911. Now, I can beat my armed officers (Glock 23�s) at the monthly qualifications with my DA-only 2� M-64. My boss is an old retired cop from IL and he�s right there with me with his M-10.
I do not doubt it. Extreme speed and accuracy using a non-staged double action (revolver) stroke is not a rare thing, when the shooter is willing to put the time into developing the skill.

I was originally trained in this skill back in 1980 by a retired Deputy Sheriff who reminded one (in both appearance and personality) of the late great Bill Jordan. I had just taken the police entrance exam, scoring in the high 90s. Never owned, let alone shot, a handgun before, and didn't want to go in cold, so I hired this man (also an NRA certified defensive handgun instructor) to instruct me. He had me use his own two inch Combat Masterpiece .38 Special for the lessons. That's when I first learned to appreciate the virtues of the Smith & Wesson double action revolver.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Twas an indoor NRA-PPC match, B-27R targets. You could cover the 30 shots on his targets with a $.50 piece.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The officer resigned according to this.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/18426590/detail.html#-

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Fox News reports on violent protests of this incident. Here's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TMgyRsxKH4

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Don't Tase me Dude!!

Yep. Agreed. It was murder even if the killing was unintentional if the cop forced the victim into a helpless position without justification. If placing him under arrest (placing him in a helpless state) was not actually justified, the cop is 100% responsible for whatever happens to him while in that helpless condition. Just like if I were to forcibly grab someone and place him on the edge of a precipice. If a gust of wind then blew that person off, and he fell to his death, that would be murder.

Even if the arrest was warranted, but drawing a weapon on him while helpless was not, the cop is 100% responsible for any harm that comes to him while doing that unwarranted and highly dangerous act. Therefore, (assuming his defense is that he thought it was a stun gun) if it is determined that stunning him while cuffed was not justified, his death by handgun constitutes murder.

Now I'm conflicted. I don't know whether to be surprised, happy or frustrated that you have made an accurate post! laugh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Now I'm conflicted. I don't know whether to be surprised, happy or frustrated that you have made an accurate post! laugh
Aren't all of my assertions accurate? wink

You're obviously a man of some integrity, though, if you can bring yourself to admit it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think it's your first. Just the been a long time!

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.