Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,
That why I like you. We can agree to disagree. You ever get a Kaibab tag let me know. I'll hunt with you.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kique: Let's hunt! I want a Coues deer! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bob:

How many years would you think (guess)it would take for a Kaibab tag?

I have 12 or 13, and yeah....old.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a mule deer expert by any means, but hunt them a lot here in MT and have lucked out and drawn some of the best tags in the west.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with one hunt. You might book a hunt in a really good area, but conditions of hot weather, full moon, drought year, and many other things can mess up what seemed like a slam dunk. Just ask the guys who drew rifle deer tags in the AZ Strip in 2007. The hardest hunt any of the outfitters have ever had. Some nice bucks taken, but few.

Would you want the "Hunt of your dreams" to be shattered based on such conditions?

I prefer to go on as many "good" hunts as possible, knowing these good hunts are easier to draw, less expensive, and can be done every other year or so. As such, your odds of finding a really nice buck in a series of "good" hunts is much greater than if you bank on one "great" hunt. And, you get to spend more days/years hunting, rather than dreaming about the year you finally draw that great tag.

Almost every "good" hunt in the west has potential, and almost every "great" hunt is filled with unrealistic expectations (the exception being the AZ Strip in 2008, which was a once in a century kind of year).

If an outfitter tells you the chances of a 190+ buck are good, be skeptical. A 190 buck is so huge that most people think it is a 220 buck. Many outfitters don't see 190 bucks.

Someone mentioned it above. If I had the inclination to go guided and wanted to hunt an area that is relatively easy to draw or had landowner tags, I would contact Scott Limmer at Commanche Wilderness Outfitters. His Eastern Colorado deer hunts are probably the best opportunity to hunt areas with large mule deer and not have to rely on "Lottery" luck to draw a tag. Even with Scott, you will have to hunt very hard to see the kind of bucks you are talking about. Or, get a good streak of luck.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ditto on the 190+ buck.....few and far between. The 200" or 30" benchmark is setting the bar extremely high. If that were important, I would save my nickels and head to Sonora. If I wanted to hunt high mountain mulies with horses and an outfitter, Colorado would be at the top of the list.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have quickly glanced over much of this thread....sorry if I missed a price point that you are trying to stay under....

I am from Alberta and know some pretty damn good mulie outfitters up here. Alberta has been doing very well for big mulies the past couple years and there are quite a few good options if you're looking to put a 180++ deer on the ground.....

Toss me a PM if you want any information on the outfitters....most of them are $7500-9000 for a trophy rifle hunt, and several offer good archery hunts killing bucks in the 180's as well during the archery hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some friends that hunted Alberta this year and had a great time and killed bucks in the 170's to 190's for under $6000. The outfitter they went with also offers a combo muledeer/elk/whitetail hunt which is real rare to find.They booked there hunts through www.premierhuntingadventures.com.
I have booked other hunts through this agent and never had a bad hunt and would think it would be worth your while to check his website out. He also offers Sonora Mule Deer hunts and many other deer hunts that may interest you. I have a Alberta Mule Deer hunt booked for 2010 through premier hunting adventures and a Nebraska Mule Deer/Whitetail hunt booked for 2009. Check his website out and give him a call.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have several ranches that can and do produce Boone and Crocket deer each year, many in the 180 class and always a few in the 200 plus class..These ranches are in Texas and Southern New Mexico. I have brochures and pictures if your interested..

In NM I have a 100,000 ac. ranch that can produce 160 to 190 class Mule deer. It is a non guided hunt with a bunkhouse to stay in and your on your own other than the foreman will show you where he has been seeing the big boys...The owner only allows two hunters per year to keep his gene pool going..$5000 per hunter...I have seen some real monsters on this ranch but since your on your own I am guessing a 60% successs rate on bucks over 160. If you are a tough sho nuff hunter you will probably get a shot at one of the big boys...

I have 3 ranches in Texas owned by the same people and they shoot 3 bucks each year and all are over 200 B&C but your not allowed to shoot lesser bucks. Fully guided on huge land holdings. booked up 3 years in advance right now..Sand hill ranches, cut sign and track only, and real tough hunt, and you must be in top phyical condition. if you are the above then you will get a monster..Walking from dawn to dusk in that deep sand is brutal but success is inevitable if you can keep up the pace, sleep on the track and go again the next day. We shot a 234 B&C at 14 yards 4 years ago. Last year a 214 and two more about that.

I have another ranch near the above that has a couple of openings for 2009, and they shoot 160 to 200 B&C deer. 4 day hunts $3000 for the hunt and $3000 for the kill. 30,000 acres of mountains. Spot and stalk type hunting and its much easier than the sandhill ranches.

For more information check out my web page or contact me for more information..I don't have many openings left for 2009.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew the Kaibab the first year I applied. Saying that, I tried for the next 5 years after that and didn't draw.
It all comes down to the luck of the draw. I know people who drew 3 straight years and I know friends who have applied for 10 years before they drew.
I would say a good 5 to 8 years on average. Again but if you get lucky, sooner.

Bob,
Put in!

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Enrique
I

Bob,
Put in!

Kique

Kique: PM me for units,details,etc.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson

I have another ranch near the above that has a couple of openings for 2009, and they shoot 160 to 200 B&C deer.

Just for the "record", a 160 buck is better than 95% of the deer taken in a given year.

It ain't a book head but a fine trophy none-the-less.

Many "greenhorns" just don't appreciate how really few deer over 180 are taken each year, much less over 200 and how difficult and if guided, how really expensive it is for a top quality hunt.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Enrique

I would say a good 5 to 8 years on average. Again but if you get lucky, sooner.

This is for residents I'm assuming?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree that a 160 can be a great trophy, especially if it is an older buck with some mass. I think that a 24" spread with good heavy mass looks better than a 30"+ spread with long thin antlers.

In regards to a guided trophy muley hunt, I feel it is important to have a one hunter on one guide ratio. If not, there will be "too much talking" between the three people, and someone will have to give up a shot opportunity in the presence of trophy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BigFin
but conditions of full moon, and many other things can mess up what seemed like a slam dunk.

I wonder if a full moon would have much of an effect during the December rut in eastern Colorado?
Does anyone know?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eblues
do you know Jeff Wyckoff? I used to hunt & guide with him, but lost touch over the years. He called his service Arrowhead Outfitters & was from Munds Park.

eblues,
Jeff still lives in Munds Park.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tomk
How many years would you think (guess)it would take for a Kaibab tag?

Tom,
The max number of bonus points for deer in AZ will be 12 this year. I believe that the only NR who are drawing for units 12A late and 13B have max points and they make up the 10% of the permits allowed for NR, and they draw in the 20% pass (where 20% of the tags are drawn from those with the most BP).

This report may help deciding your odds.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/pdfs/2008BonusPoin%20Report1-2Pass.pdf

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
RedRabbit,
I hunted Kaibab 12A back in 1980 with a guide out of Flagstaff, Lamar Haines did you know him?
We remained friends until he passed away, really a great guy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for that RedRabbit, I appreciate it.

Just checked--only have 11 under my belt...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straydog,
I moved to Flag in 91, so I was not able to have met him. There is a wildlife area on the San Francisco Peaks named in his honor, as is a benefit fishing tournament.

Doug~RR

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Tom,

If you are only one BP short of max you really should make it out to AZ to take the one day Non-resident Supplemental Hunter Ed class and secure that permanent bonus point. The difference between max points and one short is the difference between drawing a tag and not even having a chance.

The Kingman, AZ Hunter Ed Team should have a Spring class in time for the deer & sheep application period for 2009.

Good luck!

Jim

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,828
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.