-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A grand Ship to be sure, and its so American too. Each Carrier has more striking power than all but three or four Nations. This one is at the top of the heap, with all the latest due dads. It will have a 40 to 50 year service life, and in that time it will see many upgrades and a couple of new generation aircraft to go along with it. I will be over 100 when this one is retired. Something to think about. My best guess is that I will not be posting on this board by then, I suspect that I will have been long gone, while its last Commanding Officer will not be born for another 24 years or so. And in that time, many things will change, just like this carrier is way different than that first Nimitz Class to leave the dock for its first cruise. America will be different too, I should think, I worry more about what is going to become of the nation than what my last few years is going to be like. We live in interesting times. I would be better I guess if there was no real need for such things like the USS George H. W. Bush, but in the real world we do, and we do it better than anyone else, May God Keep her and all those who sail or fly off of her.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is that thing made in China? You're not telling me that America still makes something are you?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Is that thing made in China? You're not telling me that America still makes something are you?

Assembled in the USA from components manufactured by economic competitors and former enemies. wink

- Tom

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Is that thing made in China?

No, aimed at 'em someday is a possibility, but not a probability.

Jeff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, but might have critical components manufactured in all 435 congressional districts! Unsinkable from a budget standpoint!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Assembled in the USA from components manufactured by economic competitors and former enemies. wink

- Tom

every bit of her is made in America.....and at least one component is made in just about every one of the 435 Congressional districts. Even major internal hull components are modular so they can be fabricated remotely and then barged to the Northrup Grumman shipyard in Newport News.

The list of countries who couldn't be defeated by this vessel and her task force, along with one of the new amphib assault vessels like the New York or the New Orleans, is pretty short. Assuming they were actually turned loose.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
... every bit of her is made in America.....

Good to know. The steel, too?

- Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty much required by procurement regs, and NGSS has a program called SteelPartners or something like that to work with North American steel suppliers to help them meet its needs.

I think they are permitted to buy from our NAFTA partners as well....don't work in that area so I don't really know for sure.

These huge shipbuilding contracts are treated as pork opportunities by Congress so its unlikely they let any dollars slip overseas if they can capture them for some constituency at home.

I know there are some specialty steels in the offshore fabrication industry that just aren't made here, and you have to buy them in England or Japan, but I don't think that's the case with carrier steel.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Great info but the crux of it is the ship, support, and crew are ours.

Where the paint and propellers originate just don't matter.

Jeff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah, even if the steel was bought in China, they'd play hell taking it back from her now. wink

Like they say, Molon labe, bro.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by let_me_in
Great info but the crux of it is the ship, support, and crew are ours.

Where the paint and propellers originate just don't matter.

It does if you're trying to run a propeller shop!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by let_me_in
The last of the Nimitz class, and aptly named in my opinion. George H.W. Bush is the only man to ever see a war ship named after him.

link

What an honor that is.

Last of the Nimitz class? Does anyone know what is on the drawing board, larger or smaller?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
well, yeah, if you don't count Carter as a president, and don't count RR because he was unaware.

Well, Carter was pretty much unaware through his presidency whistle

Jimmy Carter is STILL CLUELESS!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The U.S.S Obama - powered by hot air - Garbage barge...

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs

When I deployed with CVW-8 on TR in 89 we had the ultimate power projection airwing.

2 Squadrons of A-6's with eight planes each (all bombers no tankers)
2 Squadrons of F/A-18C's with 12 each
2 Squadron of F-14's with 12 each
1 E-2C squadron with five planes
1 EA-6B squadron with five planes
1 S-3B Squadron with 10 planes
5 SH-3 Helos

84 jets. It was the ultimate air wing. The Tomcats of the day were not bomb droppers, that came along later, but if we had those it would have been even more impressive.

Pugs,

Why no tankers on board?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 14,303 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,151
Posts18,542,683
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.