-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Les, she loves walleye but thinks northerns are way to fishy tasting.....im guessing her dad let them sit around awhile and didnt fillet them till the end of the day.....i tend to have them filleted rather quickly and as a result they rarely taste to fishy.....just fishy enough she knows she isnt eating walleye but she hasnt beat it out of me yet just what she is eating but doesnt mind eating it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to fish Lake Athapap at Flin Flon in NW Manitoba. I always took 50# of potatoes and a deep fat fryer with fish breading. We ate Walleye, Northern, and Lake Trout every day from 40 degree water. Couldn't hardly tell the difference. I think the cold water had something to do with it.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
They have a lot of worms in them but I guess that won't hurt you if you cook them hot enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Gillette coon supper is a big deal. Any politician that has any hopes will show up there and the Slovac Oyster supper. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It is better than coot.

that's not saying much. so is styrofoam.

I'm a big time coot eater. I always bag my 15 when I get the chance (and that's a lot). Of course I didn't know they were called coot till I entered college and learned it in wildife ID class....Hung around too many coon asses as a kid I guess.

Anyway I've eat coon. I didn't care for it. My great grandmother used to say she loved it, but my grandmother said she also would take it off the stove/table if someone came over so they wouldn't see her cooking/eating it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recken hard time will bring out the coon eater in all of us. Times just ain't got that hard yet crazy

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And I though a squirrel was hard to sneak in the house...

I can here it now.. is that the neighbors cat@!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
When I saw the title of the thread I thought maybe Jesse had flung another racial epithet at the Chosen One.

Me too.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Throw in a few stewed tadpoles for Kansas surf-n-turf.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Armadillo is next

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Armadillo is next

'Possum on a half-shell.

The new "craze".

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
possums not bad if you cook right. i tryed it once not bad but a little greasy

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see the headline: "Coon... It's not just for breakfast anymore."
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've got a buddy from Missouri who has tried it. Said it was terrible, could hardly get enough BBQ sauce on to wash it down.

Think I'll pass.

Probably like anything else, care, storage and preparation probably makes or breaks the meal. Can't tell you how many people who "hate fish" I have converted.

my wife refuses to eat northern pike........lil does she know she has eaten it a half dozen times without knowing......filleting them ASAP has a big difference in how "fishy" they taste....the knows it aint walleye but she hasnt been able to figure out just what it is grin

One of the best tips i ever got was to fill a bowl with ice and put it in the fridge with your fillets in a ziplock in the bowl. Boy, that really chills the fish down and keeps it fresh for a few days longer.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Violator22
OH MAN, she just doesn't know what she is missing, I would rather eat Pike or Walleye over Salmon, Halibut or any of the others, hell Pike is good just cutting the meat off the bone fresh!

Not me. I like them all about equally. You can throw in Grayling, whitefish, catfish, sauger, and carp - assuming they are all properly prepared (for some- that means removing all the fat, or "grey meat"- like in carp). I can handle bones...

My wife won't eat the healthiest part of salmon- the fat, but I like it if it is fresh enough. Older freezer fish, I pass - it goes a bit rancid.

I've eaten Porky, but not coon. Porky isn't bad. I hear beaver isn't bad either..... that's the real beaver. I know about the other kind....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
back in high school, we used to trade a fat coon for a six pack of Bud down at the Sweetwater Grocery in NW Jacksonville. The old black folks that hung out behind the store kept a fire going, and welcomed a tasty coon.
I like the meat myself, and have eaten a number of them.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Grandmother liked possum. Grandad would catch them live and put them in a chicken coop and feed them corn for a while before he butchered them. I ate it when I was little but don't remember much about it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some guy on another website mentioned making possum jerky last week. Doesn't appeal to me, but apparently somebody likes 'em.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never had coon or possum, but I've had porcupine and beaver. Both VERY tasty if properly cooked.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My aunt cooked one once and said it was really greasy. My grandma wouldn't let us eat it. laugh Fed us head's cheese but wouldn't let us eat racoon.

I would imagine with a porcupine you could eat your dinner and pick your teeth all at once. laugh

Sassy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.