Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just had a second to look at it yesterday. We were in Sportsmans Warehouse in Medford, OR. It had a gray soft feeling synthetic stock and kind of a brushed matte looking (SS ?) barrel.

Seemed to be fairly light. The Remington website isn't too helpful. Though I did see it mention a Bell and Carlson stock that seems like it might be what I saw.

I wished I could have taken more time and asked the clerk some questions, but time was a wasting, and I am not really a Remington fan. But, when my buddy Tom, who had been looking at it told me they only wanted less than $700.00 for it, I wished I had taken a closer look.

I am not to much of a Remington fan, but I am interested in a 375 H&H. And, since I want it for mountain hunting for elk, I had to admit its light weight is pretty appealing.

Have any of you had any experience with this style of 700, or know what Rem calls it?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

Found it, what a POS website Remington has - their search engine is infantile.

Nice rifle though. Under 8 pounds will make it pretty lively, but the price is right.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Rem. 700 classic in .375 H&H and it's a joy to carry on long stalks. It's served me well in Africa on both plains game and Cape Buffalo. Being rather light it gets you attention when you shoot it, but it doesn't recoil as much as my 416 Rigby RSM.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Classic in 375 and have never shot it. I got a BRNO instead. I found it under the bed last week. I was torn about shooting it or selling it unfired. You almost make me want keep it.
Given it's vintage it should be as accurate as a Sako.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

Found it, what a POS website Remington has - their search engine is infantile.

Nice rifle though. Under 8 pounds will make it pretty lively, but the price is right.

Just bought this same rifle, although I've not shot it yet, I think(hope) it will be a good one.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For my money if it's gonna be a push feed it's gonna be Sako. I've used an L61R for most of my hunting, and find it much preferable to a Remington.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've looked at a couple in the last week or so. Personally, they fit and feel very good to me. I could hunt with one of them quite easily.

I'd add some Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it and hit the hill.

I saw a 375 RUM in one the other day in very good shape for $625. I'm for bettin that it's a bit cheeky... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been eye-balling one of these puppies for sometime now they do feel like they would balance sweetly. Can't get the missus to bite though. She is curious how many H&H's a man needs. I already have a M700 Safari in the safe. It balances nice, but with that huge barrel, its a tank!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A friend of mine used to shoot a Remington 700 lightweight in 458 Win Mag. He loved it and he was a mauser fan from way back. He said it was light enough to carry all day and accurate when needed. I generally found that George was correct in matters of firearms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

At the price listed, that sounds more like a 700 SPS Dangerous Game. The XCR has special coatings and generally runs closer to $1K or so.

Here is a link to one on GB. Remington 700 SPS DG

I made up my own 700 CDL in 375HH. It is 8.75 pounds all up and is fine from hunting positions but is on the sporty side off the bench. If you want it, go get it!

RH

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It had the special coating on the barrel. Reminded me of the old Armour Alloy T/C used on Contenders before Stainless Steel came into common use.

As for the price, we are living in a deflationary economy, and Remington has to compete with Ruger, and Weatherby.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Under $700 is a good deal. I just built a .375H&H off a Remington 700 action. Finding a deal, like you saw, sure would have saved me some messing around.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
i have a classic in 375 H&H. i'd trust my life to it (i have). my friend has an xcr in 375 h&h, never heard a negative word about it. read craig boddington's book Safari Rifles. he mentions many times taking a remington 700 to africa. if you like it, buy it. i personally like the low weight with the 700. mine topped with a 1.5x5 leupy vx-III comes in at around 8.5 lbs. i can walk all day with that setup. recoil is pretty tame for me once i added a limbsaver pad to it. i have shot 20-40 full house loads off the bench with no ill efects. that's me though, i like getting pummeled. my first rifle i ever fired was a 50 cal. muzzleloader at 3 yrs. old. my dad says to this day he has never seen somebody getting beaten with recoil with such a stupid smile on his face! your results may vary! -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
siskiyous6:

I think I almost bought that rifle a while back but wound up special ordering one through Far West in Jacksonville instead. Mine came in way under advertised weight. The gunshop owner put it on a scale before I took it home ... 6 pounds 12 ounces.

I'm semi sensitive to some level of recoil. I had one of those 700 XCRs in .338 RUM and I couldn't manage it. It wasn't so bad on the shoulder, but no matter what scope I used I couldn't keep the eye piece off my forehead. However, in .375 H&H it's relatively tame. I put 110 rounds through my .375 in about 2-1/2 hours one day testing loads. Not a bruise, not a raspberry on the shoulder. And no scope dents on my forehead. With a Leupold 3-9X, it seemed like an ideal mountain elk rifle.

Unfortunately, my rifle is not very accurate. The throat is real long and I just can't load shells that'll feed through the magazine that don't have about .3 inches of jump to the rifling. I have a new Lilja barrel (in .338) on order due here any day that goes on that action, then the whole thing goes in a Bansner stock.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Siskyou and other,
My local gunshop bought all the Rem 700 DGR in 375 H&H and just got delivery last week. This is that special edition with the black splatter coated barrel, open sights and the two tone stock with a nice R3 pad.
Brand new in the box - $499.95. I can't help it - I need one to play with and bring on my next elk hunt. I'm not a Remmy fan and its not the almighty CRF but the price is quite good.
The dealer has put one on Gun Broker under the name of:
"littlecrowsports". No offense here to others and I don't have any financial interest - just promoting looneyism.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$500 for a Remmie 700 375 H&H? Crazy good deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearstalker
$500 for a Remmie 700 375 H&H? Crazy good deal.

Major league big time....stick it in a Ti take off, cut the tube to 21", add Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it and a Uncle Mike's Mtn sling. R15 and 260 Accu's and go forth and fill an ark.

Not that I've given this any thought or anything... grin

Everyone, should own a 375 IMO.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom-any chance you know what the stock alone weighs?

Also, what weight Lilja did you order and will you be doing a 340 or a 338?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a few pics of my XCR 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 340boy; 01/23/09.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks pretty functional to me. A 375 is a tool after all else.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.