-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm going to get the SPS and drop it into a walnut BDL Magnum stock.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Rem 700 in 270 has 3000 rounds through it, still shoots .5" groups at 100 yards, never misfed nor failed to extract. I almost bought a Rem Custom Shop 375 H&H used for $1100. Nice guns.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
By the time you get a sling and scope on it and hang 10 rds on the stock it weighs about 9 lbs. The kid will have to arm wrestle me for this one! Maybe I will use it for bear and he can use it for deer with the 200 gr FN Sierra, it is a creampuff to shoot!
Life is short, go for it!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nothing wrong with the Rem 700s..especially for non dangerous game and I know some folks that have successfully used them on DG...

Not my cup of tea..I demand a control feed rifle for all my hunting, I base that on my personal experience over the last decade so it is my choice..

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
3sixbits,
I wonder why the Marine Corps picked Remington for the M40 sniper rifle?
Maybe they didn't hear about the bolt falling off or the feeding being unreliable?

Maybe they clean and oil the rifle so the rounds don't stick in the chamber who knows?

whelennut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
3sixbits,
I wonder why the Marine Corps picked Remington for the M40 sniper rifle?
Maybe they didn't hear about the bolt falling off or the feeding being unreliable?

Maybe they clean and oil the rifle so the rounds don't stick in the chamber who knows?

whelennut

Maybe hidden a mile away has something to do with it? Could that be the reason? Is this what they pick for a CCW? How come snipers make long yardage shots, not CCW shots? Why does the sniper team carry a full auto M-16 along, when they have such a great weapon like a 700 with them?

Show me your push feed DGR's and for each one. I'll show you 20 or more CRF DGR rifles.

Don't think that Remington 700's have a bad rep for bolt handles falling off? Do a web search on that topic and read the findings. Do you really think people post these reports because they love Remington?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Whelenut,
Not a good comparison..Folks shot at extreme range don't charge as fast as a Lion or Cape Buffalo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
Nothing wrong with the Rem 700s..especially for non dangerous game and I know some folks that have successfully used them on DG...

Not my cup of tea..I demand a control feed rifle for all my hunting, I base that on my personal experience over the last decade so it is my choice..

I've seen a lot of CRF rifles fail to feed, & jam. In my experience one fails about as often as the other, which is almost never. I just prefer an accurate rifle, so I choose the Remington 700 when I have a choice.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by atkinson

I've seen a lot of CRF rifles fail to feed, & jam. In my experience one fails about as often as the other, which is almost never. I just prefer an accurate rifle, so I choose the Remington 700 when I have a choice.

I've seen a few CFR that were not properly fitted that failed to feed one that had a broken extractor not feed. that is not a lot? Push feed the number is legion for the rifles that fail to feed. How accurate does a DGR have to be? Any rifle that will do a six inch group at 100 yards is fine with me. But then I don't lug around a bench rest when I hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... and thats when the fight started.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I guess it depends on where your sitting as to CFR vs. push feed..If you sitting on the couch in your gun store, a pushfeed is good, if you looking at a Lion comeing in its bad.

I have been in safari camps year after year for extended stays, and hunted or observed hunters using both types, and push feeds fail regularly and CFRs on extremely rare ocassions, and those ocassions are man caused by tinkering such as cutting the extractors so you can drop a round in the chamber and close it, and that is a accident waiting to happen, they break...

The main problem is when one is running and tries to jack a round in a push feed Ruger, Remington or Winchester, it often falls out in the process, and they close the bolt on a empty chamber, and that is the loudest SNAP in the world when you jump your hurt and mad buffalo the second time.

Granted, A CFR rifle should be pre tested and functioning properly, that goes without saying with ANY rifle, but a push feed is a design flaw IMO that cannot be cured.

I have no problem with what someone else hunts with, but I do have a problem with some of the reasoning in defence of the pushfeed rifle, I know that is not a truism....I am talking about the use of DGRs only as I assume its argueablebly less important on a deer, target, varmint, or plainsgame rifle. However, I have chosen to own CFR, Mausers and pre 64 M-70s for the most part for most of my hunting.

I like the Rem 700s, especially the Mt. Rifle, they are superbly accurate rifles out of the box, but I would not choose a 700 or any pushfeed, for a big bore to use on dangerous animals. In todays hunting you have a PH to clean up behind your mistakes so in the end, its a moot point I suspect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg
... and thats when the fight started.

Not really a fight, just don't call a push feed anything a DGR, cause,,,,, they ain't such a thing. Never had a CRF fail me yet, others have, but they were all Man made.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

So being that they are "notorious" for bolt handles falling off, would you please give me specific instances that YOU know of personally that this happened??? NOT internet rumor

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I worked full time as a gunsmith in a shop where we did authorized warranty work on Remington firearms. I never saw a Model 700 with a missing bolt handle?
I did manage to silver solder on a bolt handle on a 788 which had been abused with hot handloads and had the bolt beaten open.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not internet rumor in my case, just a case of being much younger and much dummer.... cool

I was shooting an old 700/06 in the pd fields, it was hot, I was loaded just a bit hot... and the bolt didn't want to come open.

So me being the "Primitive Pete" (anyone here get those movies in shop class in the 70's?) that I am I took a nearby rock and went to trying to open the bolt. Said bolt came off after I pounded it a bit instead of opening.

Point being, I got it to happen but I never ever should of got it to that place!

My bad big time!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can, I've seen it happen twice at my gun club, albeit they are a rare occurrence. The bolt is not the issue, it's the puny, sheet metal extractor that's the issue, particularly in dusty conditions when grit accumulates and acts as a fulcrum to break the extractor. But even that is not that big a deal AS A CLIENT. I'd have no problems taking that Remington on safari if that was my only choice. My biggest issue with Remingtons is their fail on fire safeties and there are a LOT of those. If you doubt it, just do a Google search on the subject. Lastly, there aren't very any PHs out there with PF bolt actions. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge,

I like Remingtons a lot and you are absolutely right about their triggers. When I was in high school I was out after groundhogs with a good friend. We were packing everything up and I had unloaded my Rem 600 and asked him to unload his rifle (700 BDL). I was watching closely because he didn't completely point away from me - more like a 90deg angle like at shooting ranges. Just as he pushed the safety forward, the rifle fired and no part of his hand/fingers was near the trigger. Scared the chit out of both of us. He sent the rifle into Remgington and they returned it with a note saying that they found nothing wrong. The trigger was set up the way it left the factory too. The trigger pull on that rifle was about 5 pounds. I have since replaced all my triggers with Timneys on my 600s and 700s just to be safe.

How's retired life treating you?

RH

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Jorge,

How's retired life treating you?

RH

Hate it. I miss the "men and machines" and the flying of course, although I hadn't flown for a while. Some days I feel guilty collecting the ret pay! Things are looking up though, I have a second interview tomorrow with an aviation company doing what I used to do after flying, ATFP. Wish me luck! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure call Dan's 40x in fairbanks, Alaska. He welds on new bolt handles for a living. He can tell you about plenty of them. I had a box with over twenty in thee box but threw them out years ago. Not uncommon over the past 40 + years for the 700. Dans 40X accur tig.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.