Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
H
Hey all,

I see this thread is going on a month old since the last reply, but I thought I would comment on it. I'm new to this forum so forgive me.

This thread interested me since I have a 700 XCR in 375H&H, I have used for 2 hunting seasons now. I have taken it deer hunting for 2 seasons and plan on using it this season, it's taken one elk also. A buddy of mine has used it on a black bear hunt and he liked as well. It's alittle light for a 375, I have had 3 375H&H's in my past and I like the remmy the best. I have a leupy rifleman 2-7x33 on it in leupy rings and bases and it has help up just fine, sighted it in once and that's it. I know people strongly agree that CRF is far better then PRF. Wether it's true or not I have owned both and never a problem with either, my remmy has been in all kinds of weather and I reload and have loaded hot and never a problem with the remmy 700 action. I chamberd rounds with the gun upside down tilted to one side or the other, hot cold weather even with snow in the action, still never a problem. I suppose it's personal preference to what you like. I love the rifle and my next purchase will be another one in 30-06 or 270 winny. I know it's more then you need for deer sized game, but it doesn't do anymore damage then my 7mm mag. I read that people use them alot for deer sized and even smaller game in Africa, even if not hunting DG, so what's the difference in hunting North American Game. Again, I guess all personnal prefrence. I suppose I will take some disagreement for what I say but hey, isn't that what these forums are for to learn from other's opinions and expierences?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As you refer to, you don`t need to go to Africa in order to own a 375, let alone anything larger for that matter.

The 375s are ideal for moose, bison, and big bears, which is primarily why I bought a 375 to begin with. And they can be used for smaller game too.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunter 1381 welcome to the Fire!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hunter1381
Hey all,

I see this thread is going on a month old since the last reply, but I thought I would comment on it. I'm new to this forum so forgive me.

This thread interested me since I have a 700 XCR in 375H&H, I have used for 2 hunting seasons now. I have taken it deer hunting for 2 seasons and plan on using it this season, it's taken one elk also. A buddy of mine has used it on a black bear hunt and he liked as well. It's alittle light for a 375, I have had 3 375H&H's in my past and I like the remmy the best. I have a leupy rifleman 2-7x33 on it in leupy rings and bases and it has help up just fine, sighted it in once and that's it. I know people strongly agree that CRF is far better then PRF. Wether it's true or not I have owned both and never a problem with either, my remmy has been in all kinds of weather and I reload and have loaded hot and never a problem with the remmy 700 action. I chamberd rounds with the gun upside down tilted to one side or the other, hot cold weather even with snow in the action, still never a problem. I suppose it's personal preference to what you like. I love the rifle and my next purchase will be another one in 30-06 or 270 winny. I know it's more then you need for deer sized game, but it doesn't do anymore damage then my 7mm mag. I read that people use them alot for deer sized and even smaller game in Africa, even if not hunting DG, so what's the difference in hunting North American Game. Again, I guess all personnal prefrence. I suppose I will take some disagreement for what I say but hey, isn't that what these forums are for to learn from other's opinions and expierences?

Glad you have liked yours, Hunter.
I've the same rig, and though I have not used it much(yet) I am looking forward to doing so.

And oh yeah, welcome aboard!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

H
H
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning with you all on here.

IC B2

G
G
I also have a Rem. 700 375 H&H that I bought this past December.
I did get a screaming deal on it and it was new. Scheels Sporting Goods in my town had it. I watched this gun sit on the shelf all last summer, I think it priced at just under $700. Well when I bought it in Dec., Scheels was just about ready to move in to a new building so alot of their guns were priced way down. Ended up getting it for $430. It's the SPS, black finish with the black XCR stock, floor plate says "375 H&H, 1 of 500". Haven't spent any time at the range since I put a scope on it but hope it shoots decent, because Remington barrel contour on these are pretty light. Any way, it gets me into a 375!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

Lots of Winchester 70s in PF configuration have been used successfully for a lot of years for DG and by DG (bear) guides. Admittedly, the Classics were a big hit when they came out but PF was not a distinction between Remington, Winchester, and Ruger for lots of years. If you wanted CRF, you needed to buy a Mauser based design or get a pre-64 M70.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back years ago the conventional wisdom was that you built 375's out of gobs of steel and wood to attenuate recoil from 300 gr bullets.Who wanted to lug a 10 pound 375 H&H in elk country?

But I(among others)discovered back in the 80's that you could build a 375H&H with a lighter barrel contour and Brown Precision stock that weighed about 8.25 pounds scoped, feed it high quality 250 gr bullets at over 2900 fps,without it killing you.Such a combo invades on the province of the 338WM,shoots flat as a 270 to 400 yards,and provides antelope to Brown Bear versatility.Even going to 300 gr bullets is manageable.(Friends even built such rifles in 375AI for more velocity,but recoil got grim.)

That's even truer today with things like 235 gr X bullets and 250 gr Aframes or Northforks,factory rifles like the lighter Remingtons and Ruger's(375 Ruger),and sort of renders other cartridges between 30 and 375 to "so what" status.

No reason not to use such a rifle,properly scoped, as your "all-round" choice over here.Elk on the far side of a canyon will be impressed.I'd still want it built on a good CRF action,but the choice is personal.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/30/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My current 375 is a T/C encore. It has a 26" barrel,Limbsaver buttstock,weaver grand slam 1.5x5 and weighs right at 7lbs 11 0z. all up. I prefer the single shot over the bolts as I know I only get one chance and tend to hit what I am aiming at. It shoots 260 gr. NP 1moa regularly. Though it sees more Elk hunting than anything else I would not hesitate to hunt DG with it.I would want someone backing me up with DG anyway.
For lion I would want another shot available. I would choose a rem 700 or rebarrel my 340 Mcmillan (700 action)I have owned that rifle for some time and have never had a problem of any kind.I would bet my life on it.
the old push feed vs. controled feed is something I just do not see enough evidence to find any reason to change.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I paraphrase from renowned author, PH, former editor of African Hunter Magazine and head examiner for PH qualifications in Zimbabwe, the "gold standard" of PH licensing:

"The Remington 700 may be a very fine hunting rifle. I don't know because I've never used one, but I do know that it is a poor dangerous game rifle, particularly in 416 Remington caliber. Apart from the odd inexplicable misfire, a broken extractor cost us an elephant wounded and lost at Rifa (the hunting area where the yearly exams are conducted) one year, and this is not the first year that I'd seen a broken extractor on a 700. In addition they are about the hardest rifle to reload in a hurry. My memories of this rifle are typically of youngsters frantically trying to thrust cartridges into the magazine, only to have a double feed,the rounds pop straight back out or other problems. The impartial "Pro-Shot" timer, tells me a two round reload takes, on average, twice as long with the model 700 as it does with just about any other make of rifle. I do not know that anything can be done with the Remingtons except to re-barrel them to a plainsgame cartridge and leave them at home when out after the dangerous game stuff.

That's from a consummate professional. I believe I'll take him at his word. Oh his favorite? M98s or clones of course! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow this will never be settled, I think we can appreciate all the opinions though. As an owner of remingtons I do appreciate them. I am also a fan of Model 70 pushfeeds,(don't own one at present) they are nice rifles too, XTR's being my favorites. Also was an owner of the 1 of 500 DGR Remmy's. It was accurate! Feed and function would be paramount in a dangerous game rifle, I believe this is what I would be concerned about more so than the pushfeed , controlled round feed debate. As far as fail to fire, well a Kimber I once had was the worst about that than any other rifle I've had (controlled round feed). I have never hunted dangerous game so you can discount (if ya want) what I have said. In the area I am in I have seen a few guys getting ready for Africa, Alaska and such. Most of them seemed to be pretty nice fellas, talkative and such, but really knew very little about thier rifles other than they went bang. If I go to Alaska (plan on it) I will be pushing the envelope, I will be carrying a CDL chambered in 35 Whelen. A pushfeed in a caliber that some think is underpowered. I'll never make it out alive......

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*shudder*.....and rimless, beltless, as well as virtually shoulderless to boot.....hope it ain't painful wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by spiwonka
I shoot DT ammo in my pistols also, the 10mm ammo is just like the 10 should be, not watered down!!!
Oh cool! I will have to give their 10mm ammo a whirl. I like hot 10mms.

Kevin Haile
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To each his own, I wouldn't argue about push feed vs. control feed but for myself I will never use a push feed for big game hunting. What others do is their business.

H
H
As I have read many push feed vs. control feed debates, I see opinions very greatly. I for one am 100% confident in the 700 action as I am with the Mauser action. Neither action have a perfect track record, both have failed at one time or another. Law Enforcement and the Military have used and still use the 700 action in life or death situations against the 2 legged creaturs all the time. This is not much different then hunting the 4 legged kind with nasty teeth and claws, only the 2 legged can get you at longer distances. The end result may be the same if you mess up or fail, or your equipment fails. No man made mechanical device is 100% reliable, either could fail. If you look closely at the Mauser action and follow the round as you push the bolt foward, you can see that even the Mauser action doesn't grab the round until late in feeding process, it still pushes it most the way. The Claw extractor I do believe is stronger, however, I have never had a problem with any of my push feed type bolts. Just my extra .02 Again to each their own, whatever your comfortable with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Klik, like the tagline, now I know why most things I do are an adventure! laugh

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

H
H
Hey Raybass,

I have been looking at the 35 Whelen, I saw an article in Gun World this months issue I think, about them getting 338 win mag velosities out of the 35 Whelen. That cartridge looks like a good one. Have you had much time to shoot yours? If so, how do you like it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunter, I'll have to catch that article. I've shot mine a pretty good bit, they are excellent rifles. Recoil is not bad, you can get 2700 pretty easy with a 225TSX and they feed good. My rifle has been changed a little bit but basically stock. Bedded , floated and a trigger job. Changed the recoil pad to a pachmyer due to a sticky limbsaver. The rifle shoots 200 gr, 225gr and 250 gr equally well. Its not bad with Remington factory loads either. I've only used mine elk hunting and have only taken one with it. It was an eye opener, a little over three hundred yards, a 225 gr tsx dropped the elk in his tracks. I shoulder shot him , broke both shoulders and the bullet ended up in the skin on the offside.

It kills elk like a 270 winchester kills deer or better. Not alot of hunting experience but alot at the range. I haven't chronied 200 gr bullets yet but 225's from the high 2600 fps to 2730 fps and 250's from 2500 fps to 2600 fps depending on the load. It seems to like em run fast. No fail to feed, no fail to fire with it. The bolt is slick enough now that when feeding from the magazine you can barely tell a round went in. There are quite a few guys on here that have alot more experience than I do, I think you will get the same kind of answers from them.

Almost forgot........I really like the rifle.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

Funny... I've met several PH's who use pushfeed rifles. The last guy I hunted with in Tanzania last month has a pushfeed .458 Win and said he wouldn't own a Mauser actioned rifle. He's used this rifle for over twenty years, and once owned a gun shop in Capetown. So not everyone agrees with you, particularly some of those who are out there in it every day.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The British Enfield is a push feed battle rifle, which served very reliably for almost 100 years. It is noted for its rapid aimed fire capabilities.

Winchester launched there post-1964 Model 70 with an extensive testing in Africa, and played it up in their 1964 catalog. Hunters and their guides did not stop buying the push-feed Model 70s. Thousands were used on the Big Five.

Some other notably successful push feed .375 and larger rifles:
Sako AV
Steyr Model S
Blaser
Sauer 90 and 202

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.