Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Hope this worked!!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Holy cow! It worked. Here are a couple more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by croldfort
I bought a 700 Rem SPS-DG in .375 H&H last spring because it was nib for $520. I am pleased, though I've not shot it yet. If the bolt falls off or I have problems with extracting or reloading, I will post. I've been shooting bolt rifles for 40 yrs and and lots were Rems. I have yet to have a bolt fall off. In fact, any problems that I've experienced, were of my own making. I still have lots of bolts with several Howa's/Vanguards now, and no problems with any of them. I know, there is not much DG in KS, but like someone posted, every needs at least on .375. Life is good.

Good post...... I think the very few issues out there get too much press. Every single rifle model ever made has had some sort of problem, and probably at the exact time it was least expected. sh*t happens. Most of us dont have the $$ for high ticket or custom guns, so we buy basic reliable bolt action guns. If Rems are soooo bad as some here have posted, then why is the model 700 still one of the most succesful guns of all time? They are good guns, they work, no problem. I have been tempted to get a 375 stainless remington, just cant scrape up the $$

No matter what gun you have, good luck to all this hunting season.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am bringing a bolt handle welding jig and some silver solder and a small torch in my daypack just in case.
I will also have several knives in case one breaks.
Also a short barreled Model 29, and a 500 S&W as a backup for the Model 29.
If all else fails I can jump out of the tree and submit them with a rear naked choke like I saw on UFC. wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it's hard to belive that the 375 h&h with it's tapper would stick in any chamber.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't mean to 'jack the thread, but has anyone had experience with the XS sight that functions as both a rear base (Weaver style) and has a peep built-in?

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

Looking for ideas for my custom 700 in 375 H&H. Would like to get the longest possible sight radius, and get the rear sight close to my tiring eyes!

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Lee24
The British Enfield is a push feed battle rifle, which served very reliably for almost 100 years. It is noted for its rapid aimed fire capabilities.

Winchester launched there post-1964 Model 70 with an extensive testing in Africa, and played it up in their 1964 catalog. Hunters and their guides did not stop buying the push-feed Model 70s. Thousands were used on the Big Five.

Some other notably successful push feed .375 and larger rifles:
Sako AV
Steyr Model S
Blaser
Sauer 90 and 202

Amen. Also Weatherby Mark V's (somebody else in this thread made this observation, too). If Roy's Mark V .460 Weatherby is an inherently inferior DGR because of it, why hasn't anyone every heard about it? As an aside, renowned PH Gerard Miller uses s Mark V in .460.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have one of these critters! Bought it about 5-6 months ago with a standard SPS in 270Win. I have used the 270 a bit and it is a nice rifle. I haven't hunted with it, just running the Bbl in at this stage. Too hot to hunt here at the moment.

I finally got the 375 to the range today and was busy as Range Officer with a few beginners. Crowd thinned out after lunch and I fiddled with an old 32WCF 1892 for awhile with no success and then pulled the big un' out.

I fired 5 shots, cleaning before shooting and between each of the five shots. (I always run Bbls in by cleaning between the first 5 shots with bronze bristle brush wet with Sweet's, let soak for 5-10 mins, dry patch out until clean,Wet patch with Hoppe's No9, soak for a few minutes, then dry patches until clean. Shots 6-15 I clean between groups of three shots, as above, then every after every 5 shots until 50 shots are reached. I noticed that the Bbl was a tad easier to clean on the forth and fifth shots.)

I was just snapping the shots off at a 50 Yard target from the offhand position over the (reasonably strange) factory iron sights. Boy this nasty little black number really gets your attention when you shoot it! Watch where you place your thumb or it will end up your nose!

I was using Federal Grey box 270Gn factory ammo (power shock I think they call it). My mate fired one shot and called it that he pulled to the left.

When I was packing up, I noticed that the four shots were in a group about 2.5" with my mate's called shot to the left of the group about 2" away. About as good as I would normally get with anything, snap shooting offhand.

I am very pleased. The only criticism that I have of the rifle is the rubber grip panels seem a little sharp on the edges (I must admit, I didn't notice this while shooting). I had planned to trim the corners using a leather edge trimmer, but held off, not wanting to Bubba it!

The rifle feels like a normal sporter, but with a bit more barrel heft. When I get her run in and free up some cases, I will fit the scope and start shooting some 200, 250 and 300 yeard groups. This will be a good carry rifle, just be careful shooting it.

Mine will be seeing a lot of lead, I have 2 moulds, 3,000 gaschecks and 500 commercial cast bullets downstairs.

Looking forward to it, always wanted a 375H&H. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

The DG i sthe unscoped one, the scoped rifle is teh 270 with a cheapo Simmons 3-9x package deal scope, which is amazingly clear! It will end up on my 30/30 Marlin 336.

[Linked Image]

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, if they just made it in 338WM as well!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
this was an old thread...kinda funny to re-read...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Rem700 Classic .375 years ago, loaded 300gr Hornady BTSP's and killed a pile of bear and elk with it. You will love the chambering, I used it in heavy timber so most shots were in close. It flat crushed them!

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Everyone knows, things that bite and things that stomp and trample, will bite, stomp and trample anyone shooting other than a controlled feed rifle... wink

Wonder how Roy Weatherby got around that...? shocked

DF

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I just realised that even though the rifle kicked and bucked like mad, the recoil pad (and probably the stock) soaked up the recoil amazingly well. It didn't hurt my shoulder at all and I remember thinking about that later in the day. I also noticed that I had absolutely no bruising on my shoulder. This is a bit of a problem with me as I have been on blood thinning medication for several years and will bruise up easily. This doesn't bother me much (my Mum says, 'Old age is not for sissies!) and as they say, 'suck it up Princess.'

The rifle will kick up and punch you in the nose if you are not careful and graze your fingers if you are not holding it properly, but is easy on the shoulder. Modern 'rubber' Sorbathane or similar products are really amazing and they work.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/08/12. Reason: typo

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Everyone knows, things that bite and things that stomp and trample, will bite, stomp and trample anyone shooting other than a controlled feed rifle... wink

DF

I am a bit ambivalent about CRF, but having now seen not a few M700 extractors fail, i am not sure that the M700 would be the push-feed system i would choose for a DGR.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I am a bit ambivalent about CRF, but having now seen not a few M700 extractors fail, i am not sure that the M700 would be the push-feed system i would choose for a DGR.

Not being one that likes to be bitten, stomped or trampled, my DG rifle is a model 70. I've never been DG hunting, but a man needs to be prepared... cool

I have some Remingtons, just not that many. CRF notwithstanding, I like those three position safeties and lean more toward Kimbers, an Ed Brown Damara, an Alpha Alaskan and several M-70's.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have magnum 700s that have are on their third barrels, but original extractors. i have a couple of spare extractors, but have never had one fail.

the M70s in .375 are too heavy IMO.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I think the bad press with failed 700 extractors came from extreme military usage in a hostile, every day dirty and squillions of rounds fired sort of environment.

I have a 700 in 300WM that is just about plumb wore out and it has the origianl extractor, the jewelling is worn off the bolt,the blue is mostly worn through on most of the rifle, the paint is pretty much gone of the mag floorplate, etc, but the extractor is original and in good condition.

If I was a sniper and was practicing on a daily basis and had to rely on it in life and death type scenarios, I would upgrade it, likewise if I was really hunting dangerous game. But, if I was really hunting dangerous game and not just pretending to smile I would probably go to CRF.

In the meantime, I will stick to one of the most accurate, reliable and graceful rifles on the market, the Remington 700!

Remington 700s are plentiful in Australia and I have never heard of anyone upgrading the extractor. A guy in Victoria offers this service, but I have never actually met anyone who has had it done. I don't think I will bother at this stage. Maybe when I wear out the first barrel on my SPS Tactical 308. The SPS Range is fondly referred to in Australia as the S&!T Plastic Stock model, laugh

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/08/12. Reason: Can't leave well enough alone :(

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, the SPS stock stinks. but the XCR II stock is about the same stock, just a different color and grippy panels. my .375 RUM was a SS SPS. i cut the 26" barrel back to 23" and put it into an Alaskan Ti II stock.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Went to the range yesterday and ran another four, three shot groups through it. I swapped every other round between the 375 and my other SPS in 270W and fired four five shot groups out if it (I am running the barrels in and the 270 is a bot further down the track).

Point is, I wasn't overly impressed with the stocks initially, but they sure do soak up the recoil.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
have you weighed your .375?

the XCR II in .375 RUM weighs 6# 10 oz. bare. i'd assume the SPS DG is the same.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.