Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just had a second to look at it yesterday. We were in Sportsmans Warehouse in Medford, OR. It had a gray soft feeling synthetic stock and kind of a brushed matte looking (SS ?) barrel.

Seemed to be fairly light. The Remington website isn't too helpful. Though I did see it mention a Bell and Carlson stock that seems like it might be what I saw.

I wished I could have taken more time and asked the clerk some questions, but time was a wasting, and I am not really a Remington fan. But, when my buddy Tom, who had been looking at it told me they only wanted less than $700.00 for it, I wished I had taken a closer look.

I am not to much of a Remington fan, but I am interested in a 375 H&H. And, since I want it for mountain hunting for elk, I had to admit its light weight is pretty appealing.

Have any of you had any experience with this style of 700, or know what Rem calls it?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

Found it, what a POS website Remington has - their search engine is infantile.

Nice rifle though. Under 8 pounds will make it pretty lively, but the price is right.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Rem. 700 classic in .375 H&H and it's a joy to carry on long stalks. It's served me well in Africa on both plains game and Cape Buffalo. Being rather light it gets you attention when you shoot it, but it doesn't recoil as much as my 416 Rigby RSM.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Classic in 375 and have never shot it. I got a BRNO instead. I found it under the bed last week. I was torn about shooting it or selling it unfired. You almost make me want keep it.
Given it's vintage it should be as accurate as a Sako.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

Nice rifle though. Under 8 pounds will make it pretty lively, but the price is right.

Just bought this same rifle, although I've not shot it yet, I think(hope) it will be a good one.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For my money if it's gonna be a push feed it's gonna be Sako. I've used an L61R for most of my hunting, and find it much preferable to a Remington.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've looked at a couple in the last week or so. Personally, they fit and feel very good to me. I could hunt with one of them quite easily.

I'd add some Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it and hit the hill.

I saw a 375 RUM in one the other day in very good shape for $625. I'm for bettin that it's a bit cheeky... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been eye-balling one of these puppies for sometime now they do feel like they would balance sweetly. Can't get the missus to bite though. She is curious how many H&H's a man needs. I already have a M700 Safari in the safe. It balances nice, but with that huge barrel, its a tank!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A friend of mine used to shoot a Remington 700 lightweight in 458 Win Mag. He loved it and he was a mauser fan from way back. He said it was light enough to carry all day and accurate when needed. I generally found that George was correct in matters of firearms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

At the price listed, that sounds more like a 700 SPS Dangerous Game. The XCR has special coatings and generally runs closer to $1K or so.

Here is a link to one on GB. Remington 700 SPS DG

I made up my own 700 CDL in 375HH. It is 8.75 pounds all up and is fine from hunting positions but is on the sporty side off the bench. If you want it, go get it!

RH

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It had the special coating on the barrel. Reminded me of the old Armour Alloy T/C used on Contenders before Stainless Steel came into common use.

As for the price, we are living in a deflationary economy, and Remington has to compete with Ruger, and Weatherby.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Under $700 is a good deal. I just built a .375H&H off a Remington 700 action. Finding a deal, like you saw, sure would have saved me some messing around.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
i have a classic in 375 H&H. i'd trust my life to it (i have). my friend has an xcr in 375 h&h, never heard a negative word about it. read craig boddington's book Safari Rifles. he mentions many times taking a remington 700 to africa. if you like it, buy it. i personally like the low weight with the 700. mine topped with a 1.5x5 leupy vx-III comes in at around 8.5 lbs. i can walk all day with that setup. recoil is pretty tame for me once i added a limbsaver pad to it. i have shot 20-40 full house loads off the bench with no ill efects. that's me though, i like getting pummeled. my first rifle i ever fired was a 50 cal. muzzleloader at 3 yrs. old. my dad says to this day he has never seen somebody getting beaten with recoil with such a stupid smile on his face! your results may vary! -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
siskiyous6:

I think I almost bought that rifle a while back but wound up special ordering one through Far West in Jacksonville instead. Mine came in way under advertised weight. The gunshop owner put it on a scale before I took it home ... 6 pounds 12 ounces.

I'm semi sensitive to some level of recoil. I had one of those 700 XCRs in .338 RUM and I couldn't manage it. It wasn't so bad on the shoulder, but no matter what scope I used I couldn't keep the eye piece off my forehead. However, in .375 H&H it's relatively tame. I put 110 rounds through my .375 in about 2-1/2 hours one day testing loads. Not a bruise, not a raspberry on the shoulder. And no scope dents on my forehead. With a Leupold 3-9X, it seemed like an ideal mountain elk rifle.

Unfortunately, my rifle is not very accurate. The throat is real long and I just can't load shells that'll feed through the magazine that don't have about .3 inches of jump to the rifling. I have a new Lilja barrel (in .338) on order due here any day that goes on that action, then the whole thing goes in a Bansner stock.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Siskyou and other,
My local gunshop bought all the Rem 700 DGR in 375 H&H and just got delivery last week. This is that special edition with the black splatter coated barrel, open sights and the two tone stock with a nice R3 pad.
Brand new in the box - $499.95. I can't help it - I need one to play with and bring on my next elk hunt. I'm not a Remmy fan and its not the almighty CRF but the price is quite good.
The dealer has put one on Gun Broker under the name of:
"littlecrowsports". No offense here to others and I don't have any financial interest - just promoting looneyism.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$500 for a Remmie 700 375 H&H? Crazy good deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearstalker
$500 for a Remmie 700 375 H&H? Crazy good deal.

Major league big time....stick it in a Ti take off, cut the tube to 21", add Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it and a Uncle Mike's Mtn sling. R15 and 260 Accu's and go forth and fill an ark.

Not that I've given this any thought or anything... grin

Everyone, should own a 375 IMO.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom-any chance you know what the stock alone weighs?

Also, what weight Lilja did you order and will you be doing a 340 or a 338?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a few pics of my XCR 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 340boy; 01/23/09.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks pretty functional to me. A 375 is a tool after all else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tim-I sure like the looks of that bad boy, what does it weigh?

I know of a basically new one in 375 RUM for $625, I think that's a good price what do you think?

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,
have not the chance to weigh it,but my guess is around 7.5lbs.

If it is an XCR you are talking about THAT is a good deal!.
grin

James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only Rem 700 in .375 H&H that I have shot was a Classic, and I agree with one of the previous posters about the light weight. Nice to carry, but kind of rough to do much shooting with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Major league big time....stick it in a Ti take off, cut the tube to 21", add Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz in it and a Uncle Mike's Mtn sling. R15 and 260 Accu's and go forth and fill an ark.

Not that I've given this any thought or anything... grin

Everyone, should own a 375 IMO.

Dober [/quote]

Hey Gang,

Just wondering what you would think of this idea? I'm thinking it would be a sporty and light 375. Your thoughts please?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Tim-if you get the chance would you be able to weigh the stock on your 375 for me?

Thx
Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tim: That's pretty cool....shoot it yet?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yes, I have a remingotn xcr in .375 H&H also. I mounted it in a hs precison stock and topped it off with a Kahles CL 4-12x52. I've been using double tap 235 grain Barnes TSX moving at 3100 FPS and shoot under a inch at 100. My only picture of it, Mr. Yote was 277 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much and what kind of powder are you running to get to 3100 with a 235 out of a 375?

Thx
Dober

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Elmer Keith is proud of you!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Hey Tim-if you get the chance would you be able to weigh the stock on your 375 for me?

Thx
Dober

Dober,
Sorry I did not see your post earlier, I can weigh the rifle, stock for you no problemo!
wink

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Tim: That's pretty cool....shoot it yet?

Bob,
Not had a chance to shoot her yet, gotta load up some ammo.
blush

James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Another guy got first dibs on a used Rem 700 Classic in 375H&H the other day;I was surprised at how light the barrel contour was.Nice rifle....

As demonstrated by the slightly defunct coyote pictured above,how many cartridges can take you from a 30 lb varmint to an 1800 pound buffalo,with complete safety,and the accuracy neede to snuff the varmint at long range?And in a package weighing about 8# all up?I doubt the H&H is going anywhere soon... cool

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by spiwonka
Yes, I have a remingotn xcr in .375 H&H also. I mounted it in a hs precison stock and topped it off with a Kahles CL 4-12x52. I've been using double tap 235 grain Barnes TSX moving at 3100 FPS and shoot under a inch at 100. My only picture of it, Mr. Yote was 277 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NOW that is just plain cool. grin

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use double tap ammunition. www.doubletapammo.com I've been using Dt ammo in all my rifles for a few years now and have been pretty impressed with the accuracy and chrono readings. When I chroned them I was getting like 3116 in my rifle, the company says 3100. I'm glad I bought six boxes about five months ago, they were 45.00. Now they are 59.99 a box!! They also have a heavy weight Woodleigh Weldcore 350 grain bullet moving at 2450 FPS, man that has to be a hammer!! I shoot DT ammo in my pistols also, the 10mm ammo is just like the 10 should be, not watered down!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Siskyou and other,
My local gunshop bought all the Rem 700 DGR in 375 H&H and just got delivery last week. This is that special edition with the black splatter coated barrel, open sights and the two tone stock with a nice R3 pad.
Brand new in the box - $499.95. I can't help it - I need one to play with and bring on my next elk hunt. I'm not a Remmy fan and its not the almighty CRF but the price is quite good.
The dealer has put one on Gun Broker under the name of:
"littlecrowsports". No offense here to others and I don't have any financial interest - just promoting looneyism.

Couldn't find the SPS DGR on the Remington website. Can anyone advise the specifications (esp. weight)?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Tough composite stock w/ positive checkering. Matte carbon steel action from solid-bar stock. Famous "three rings of steel" strengh. 24" bbl w/ open sights & bbl band. Drilled/tapped for mounts. X-MARK Pro Trigger is adjustable. Nice recoil-reducing R3 pad, a embellished hinged floor plate w/ Special Engraving & studs.

It's SPS. I have one (not DG version) the SPS, CAS coated it, floated it and wrapped in a mcswirly. Would love to show you, but it's in storage in VA and I'm CT. Maybe next month I'll get and actually get to pull the trigger. I only had it a week before I moved...........gl

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use double tap ammunition. www.doubletapammo.com I've been using Dt ammo in all my rifles for a few years now and have been pretty impressed with the accuracy and chrono readings.

I've also had very good luck with DoubleTap ammo. I've used their .338 Winchester, .35 Whelen and .375 H&H loads and all have proven accurate and chrono'd as quoted/near quoted listed velocity. My Whelen especially likes their 225 grain Accubond and 250 grain Speer loads and tolerates the 310 grain Woodleigh well enough to strike down Asiatic water buffalo at 50 paces. laugh

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. -Bill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Tough composite stock w/ positive checkering. Matte carbon steel action from solid-bar stock. Famous "three rings of steel" strengh. 24" bbl w/ open sights & bbl band. Drilled/tapped for mounts. X-MARK Pro Trigger is adjustable. Nice recoil-reducing R3 pad, a embellished hinged floor plate w/ Special Engraving & studs.

It's SPS. I have one (not DG version) the SPS, CAS coated it, floated it and wrapped in a mcswirly. Would love to show you, but it's in storage in VA and I'm CT. Maybe next month I'll get and actually get to pull the trigger. I only had it a week before I moved...........gl

Found elsewhere on this site that weight is supposed to be right @ 7 lbs.

Kind of in a quandry. I could get one of those or a Ruger Frontier .358 for a tad less.

The Frontier is more of a niche slapper better suited to my AO, while the .375 is a general/worldwide mid-bore thumper...guess as a certified rifle lunatic I need to find the bucks to do both.

Maybe go 2.5 Leupold/Aimpoint on the .358 and a 6x fixed on the .375.

Really need to shoot the Ruger No. 1 Tropical .375 and decide if I want to keep it...work and holidays put me off my range schedule.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
O
O
Hey all!! I'm new to this forum but had to join up to tell everyone about my new toy. I just scored the 700 SPS-DG 375 H&H off gunbroker from littlecrow sports. I had to check their feedback because they seem to be selling at about $150 less than anyone else. It was listed for $499 but I used the "buy it now" b/c I couldn't stand the suspense and it was only $20 more. But I scored it for $520 plus S/H ($545 total) and can't wait to shoot it. Should be in next week...I'll go ahead and weigh it when it arrives but another site selling one (for $680) listed it @ 7lbs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a good price, Andy!
I think my 700XCR 370 cost me about 850 bucks.

James Elroy Flecker

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

Dober my stock is 27oz w/o the bottom metal 34oz with.

My setup sits around 8lbs with a 3-9x42 Kahles w/ TDS reticle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx Huntem

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,
I pm'd you the weights on my 375 ouch and ouch(Leupy scope and Talley lightweights) came in at 7.9 lbs.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx, remind me which scope is that?

That is a worlds supply of hunt rig there isn't it. It and a 270 and a 223 and one can conquer the planet...grin

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VXIII 2.5-8X.

A 223, 270 and 375 sounds like a nice set indeed.
grin

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 340boy
A 223, 270 and 375 sounds like a nice set indeed.
grin

Yep, it is all a man would ever truly need.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. -Bill
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Just bought this same rifle, although I've not shot it yet, I think(hope) it will be a good one.

Did they put some decent iron sights on that model?

Are they express type and of decent quality?

Not that it makes a huge difference. Just curious.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lodgepole

Lodgepole,
I don't have much experience with iron sights, but these on the XCR look fairly sturdy, if I get a chance I will post some pics of the sights on this thread.

James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by lodgepole

Lodgepole,
I don't have much experience with iron sights, but these on the XCR look fairly sturdy, if I get a chance I will post some pics of the sights on this thread.

I was just wondering because when Savage was chambering their 116FSS in 375 H&H they were putting a pretty nice set of Williams sights on them. Last I looked Savage quit making the 116FSS in 375. Bummer.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Id buy it. Every rem 375 anything has been 800 or more where I'm from in Minnesota. Everyone says the push feed vs controlled feed, but in my experience for $1000 rifle in this caliber. Push feed feeds more reliably. if you go to a $2000+ rifle, Then you should definitely choose a controlled feed and not accept the rifle until it feeds like butter and shoots well. I was looking for a 375 RUM, but the Remington at 7.5 lbs for the RUM seamed to light. So I went with the Ruger. For the H&H, it seems light weight for beginners, but once you get use to it, I will be a great all around rifle.

O
O
Picked up the SPS DG 375 H&H last Friday. Ammo finally came in and I went to the range. It seemed to shoot fine as far as I could tell with open sights at 100yds. Out of 35 shots everything was on the paper (12") and you can contribute that variance to my shooting and a couple of flinches. I weighed it when I got home and it came in at 7lbs (that explains the flinches and my sore shoulder).

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
dude, 35 shots in a row!~ smile

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Finally got around to getting it out....

[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 02/21/09. Reason: add pic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice vacrt2002, I have one of the SPS DG's on order. I'm planning on putting it in a CDL stock when it gets here. Probably glass bed it to hopefully to keep the stock intact. Hope it works out good.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks.......CAS did and great job on the cerakote and putting together.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's one of these DG M700's, new, at my local gunshop. They keep telling me they'll make me a he'll of a deal on it. Anyone wants one right NOW, let me know and I'll hook ya up!

I want it... But I can't even begin to rationalize one for the critters I hunt...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Maybe the wrong forum, but I have Warne QR (new to me)on this 375, they seem really solid. Should I blue (med) locktite the bottom four screws? I did the top four.

I blue locktite all of my Talley one piece light weight, because I usually do not remove mounts once their on.**preference**

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff O,
If you need help rationalizing it for deer,
I shot three whitetails with mine this fall.
Shooting the 200 gr FN Sierra bullets at 2200 fps it kicks very little and all three were DRT! I couln't be happier,
unless I draw a moose tag next year, or a bear tag. wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fella's, I picked up my new SPS DG 375 H&H yesterday. It is light thats for sure. I think I may have it coated with ceracote or something like it. I don't like the SPS finish all that much mainly because it rusts easy. Anyway i took it home pulled it out of the stock ,wiped it down with gun oil and cleaned the barrel. This morning I took it to the range with just the open sights and shot a few rounds to get accustomed to it. Now this is the first rifle I've had bigger than my 35 Whelen (or shot).

To be honest I was ready for a whuppin, well it wasn't so bad at all. A little more than my 35 with hot loaded 250's. I also haven't shot open sights much since I was a kid, so groups weren't all that great but did show it'll probably shoot when I get the scope on. With the sights set from the factory it shot 1" low and 2" to the left at 50 yrds. 10 shots with two different types of ammo wasn't too bad I reckon at 2 & 1/4" for the group. The ammo was Remington corelokts 270 gr. and some older Winchester silvertips which I have no clue what grain they are. I like it! I'm going to put a CDL stock on it and a 2.5-8 Leupold on it probably in some Warne QD rings.

Anybody know what grain the silvertips may be? They did seem to kick a little harder. wink

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had no issues with my Rem 700 in 270 I've had forever (since 1970). Hunted in the mountains, forests and desert with it. Slid down a hill (not planning to) with it. Shot every thing from marmots and crows, javelina, deer, elk and more than a few bears with it. It has it's scratches on both the stock and the barrel but is still shoots nickel sized groups after thousands of rounds through it. It has never failed to feed or eject either and I load my rounds a bit on the hot side (150g Noslers at 3000 fps) ...

I bought a CZ Safari Classic for my 375 H&H, but if I hadn't wanted to potentially rebarrel to a larger caliber I would've bought a remington. I saw a sweet older custom in 375 H&H with the rosewood foreend and grip cap for $1000 ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm going to get the SPS and drop it into a walnut BDL Magnum stock.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Rem 700 in 270 has 3000 rounds through it, still shoots .5" groups at 100 yards, never misfed nor failed to extract. I almost bought a Rem Custom Shop 375 H&H used for $1100. Nice guns.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
By the time you get a sling and scope on it and hang 10 rds on the stock it weighs about 9 lbs. The kid will have to arm wrestle me for this one! Maybe I will use it for bear and he can use it for deer with the 200 gr FN Sierra, it is a creampuff to shoot!
Life is short, go for it!
whelennut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nothing wrong with the Rem 700s..especially for non dangerous game and I know some folks that have successfully used them on DG...

Not my cup of tea..I demand a control feed rifle for all my hunting, I base that on my personal experience over the last decade so it is my choice..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
3sixbits,
I wonder why the Marine Corps picked Remington for the M40 sniper rifle?
Maybe they didn't hear about the bolt falling off or the feeding being unreliable?

Maybe they clean and oil the rifle so the rounds don't stick in the chamber who knows?

whelennut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
3sixbits,
I wonder why the Marine Corps picked Remington for the M40 sniper rifle?
Maybe they didn't hear about the bolt falling off or the feeding being unreliable?

Maybe they clean and oil the rifle so the rounds don't stick in the chamber who knows?

whelennut

Maybe hidden a mile away has something to do with it? Could that be the reason? Is this what they pick for a CCW? How come snipers make long yardage shots, not CCW shots? Why does the sniper team carry a full auto M-16 along, when they have such a great weapon like a 700 with them?

Show me your push feed DGR's and for each one. I'll show you 20 or more CRF DGR rifles.

Don't think that Remington 700's have a bad rep for bolt handles falling off? Do a web search on that topic and read the findings. Do you really think people post these reports because they love Remington?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Whelenut,
Not a good comparison..Folks shot at extreme range don't charge as fast as a Lion or Cape Buffalo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
Nothing wrong with the Rem 700s..especially for non dangerous game and I know some folks that have successfully used them on DG...

Not my cup of tea..I demand a control feed rifle for all my hunting, I base that on my personal experience over the last decade so it is my choice..

I've seen a lot of CRF rifles fail to feed, & jam. In my experience one fails about as often as the other, which is almost never. I just prefer an accurate rifle, so I choose the Remington 700 when I have a choice.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by atkinson

I've seen a lot of CRF rifles fail to feed, & jam. In my experience one fails about as often as the other, which is almost never. I just prefer an accurate rifle, so I choose the Remington 700 when I have a choice.

I've seen a few CFR that were not properly fitted that failed to feed one that had a broken extractor not feed. that is not a lot? Push feed the number is legion for the rifles that fail to feed. How accurate does a DGR have to be? Any rifle that will do a six inch group at 100 yards is fine with me. But then I don't lug around a bench rest when I hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... and thats when the fight started.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I guess it depends on where your sitting as to CFR vs. push feed..If you sitting on the couch in your gun store, a pushfeed is good, if you looking at a Lion comeing in its bad.

I have been in safari camps year after year for extended stays, and hunted or observed hunters using both types, and push feeds fail regularly and CFRs on extremely rare ocassions, and those ocassions are man caused by tinkering such as cutting the extractors so you can drop a round in the chamber and close it, and that is a accident waiting to happen, they break...

The main problem is when one is running and tries to jack a round in a push feed Ruger, Remington or Winchester, it often falls out in the process, and they close the bolt on a empty chamber, and that is the loudest SNAP in the world when you jump your hurt and mad buffalo the second time.

Granted, A CFR rifle should be pre tested and functioning properly, that goes without saying with ANY rifle, but a push feed is a design flaw IMO that cannot be cured.

I have no problem with what someone else hunts with, but I do have a problem with some of the reasoning in defence of the pushfeed rifle, I know that is not a truism....I am talking about the use of DGRs only as I assume its argueablebly less important on a deer, target, varmint, or plainsgame rifle. However, I have chosen to own CFR, Mausers and pre 64 M-70s for the most part for most of my hunting.

I like the Rem 700s, especially the Mt. Rifle, they are superbly accurate rifles out of the box, but I would not choose a 700 or any pushfeed, for a big bore to use on dangerous animals. In todays hunting you have a PH to clean up behind your mistakes so in the end, its a moot point I suspect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg
... and thats when the fight started.

Not really a fight, just don't call a push feed anything a DGR, cause,,,,, they ain't such a thing. Never had a CRF fail me yet, others have, but they were all Man made.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

So being that they are "notorious" for bolt handles falling off, would you please give me specific instances that YOU know of personally that this happened??? NOT internet rumor

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I worked full time as a gunsmith in a shop where we did authorized warranty work on Remington firearms. I never saw a Model 700 with a missing bolt handle?
I did manage to silver solder on a bolt handle on a 788 which had been abused with hot handloads and had the bolt beaten open.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not internet rumor in my case, just a case of being much younger and much dummer.... cool

I was shooting an old 700/06 in the pd fields, it was hot, I was loaded just a bit hot... and the bolt didn't want to come open.

So me being the "Primitive Pete" (anyone here get those movies in shop class in the 70's?) that I am I took a nearby rock and went to trying to open the bolt. Said bolt came off after I pounded it a bit instead of opening.

Point being, I got it to happen but I never ever should of got it to that place!

My bad big time!

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can, I've seen it happen twice at my gun club, albeit they are a rare occurrence. The bolt is not the issue, it's the puny, sheet metal extractor that's the issue, particularly in dusty conditions when grit accumulates and acts as a fulcrum to break the extractor. But even that is not that big a deal AS A CLIENT. I'd have no problems taking that Remington on safari if that was my only choice. My biggest issue with Remingtons is their fail on fire safeties and there are a LOT of those. If you doubt it, just do a Google search on the subject. Lastly, there aren't very any PHs out there with PF bolt actions. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge,

I like Remingtons a lot and you are absolutely right about their triggers. When I was in high school I was out after groundhogs with a good friend. We were packing everything up and I had unloaded my Rem 600 and asked him to unload his rifle (700 BDL). I was watching closely because he didn't completely point away from me - more like a 90deg angle like at shooting ranges. Just as he pushed the safety forward, the rifle fired and no part of his hand/fingers was near the trigger. Scared the chit out of both of us. He sent the rifle into Remgington and they returned it with a note saying that they found nothing wrong. The trigger was set up the way it left the factory too. The trigger pull on that rifle was about 5 pounds. I have since replaced all my triggers with Timneys on my 600s and 700s just to be safe.

How's retired life treating you?

RH

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Jorge,

How's retired life treating you?

RH

Hate it. I miss the "men and machines" and the flying of course, although I hadn't flown for a while. Some days I feel guilty collecting the ret pay! Things are looking up though, I have a second interview tomorrow with an aviation company doing what I used to do after flying, ATFP. Wish me luck! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure call Dan's 40x in fairbanks, Alaska. He welds on new bolt handles for a living. He can tell you about plenty of them. I had a box with over twenty in thee box but threw them out years ago. Not uncommon over the past 40 + years for the 700. Dans 40X accur tig.

H
H
Hey all,

I see this thread is going on a month old since the last reply, but I thought I would comment on it. I'm new to this forum so forgive me.

This thread interested me since I have a 700 XCR in 375H&H, I have used for 2 hunting seasons now. I have taken it deer hunting for 2 seasons and plan on using it this season, it's taken one elk also. A buddy of mine has used it on a black bear hunt and he liked as well. It's alittle light for a 375, I have had 3 375H&H's in my past and I like the remmy the best. I have a leupy rifleman 2-7x33 on it in leupy rings and bases and it has help up just fine, sighted it in once and that's it. I know people strongly agree that CRF is far better then PRF. Wether it's true or not I have owned both and never a problem with either, my remmy has been in all kinds of weather and I reload and have loaded hot and never a problem with the remmy 700 action. I chamberd rounds with the gun upside down tilted to one side or the other, hot cold weather even with snow in the action, still never a problem. I suppose it's personal preference to what you like. I love the rifle and my next purchase will be another one in 30-06 or 270 winny. I know it's more then you need for deer sized game, but it doesn't do anymore damage then my 7mm mag. I read that people use them alot for deer sized and even smaller game in Africa, even if not hunting DG, so what's the difference in hunting North American Game. Again, I guess all personnal prefrence. I suppose I will take some disagreement for what I say but hey, isn't that what these forums are for to learn from other's opinions and expierences?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As you refer to, you don`t need to go to Africa in order to own a 375, let alone anything larger for that matter.

The 375s are ideal for moose, bison, and big bears, which is primarily why I bought a 375 to begin with. And they can be used for smaller game too.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunter 1381 welcome to the Fire!

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hunter1381
Hey all,

I see this thread is going on a month old since the last reply, but I thought I would comment on it. I'm new to this forum so forgive me.

This thread interested me since I have a 700 XCR in 375H&H, I have used for 2 hunting seasons now. I have taken it deer hunting for 2 seasons and plan on using it this season, it's taken one elk also. A buddy of mine has used it on a black bear hunt and he liked as well. It's alittle light for a 375, I have had 3 375H&H's in my past and I like the remmy the best. I have a leupy rifleman 2-7x33 on it in leupy rings and bases and it has help up just fine, sighted it in once and that's it. I know people strongly agree that CRF is far better then PRF. Wether it's true or not I have owned both and never a problem with either, my remmy has been in all kinds of weather and I reload and have loaded hot and never a problem with the remmy 700 action. I chamberd rounds with the gun upside down tilted to one side or the other, hot cold weather even with snow in the action, still never a problem. I suppose it's personal preference to what you like. I love the rifle and my next purchase will be another one in 30-06 or 270 winny. I know it's more then you need for deer sized game, but it doesn't do anymore damage then my 7mm mag. I read that people use them alot for deer sized and even smaller game in Africa, even if not hunting DG, so what's the difference in hunting North American Game. Again, I guess all personnal prefrence. I suppose I will take some disagreement for what I say but hey, isn't that what these forums are for to learn from other's opinions and expierences?

Glad you have liked yours, Hunter.
I've the same rig, and though I have not used it much(yet) I am looking forward to doing so.

And oh yeah, welcome aboard!
smile

James Elroy Flecker

H
H
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning with you all on here.

G
G
I also have a Rem. 700 375 H&H that I bought this past December.
I did get a screaming deal on it and it was new. Scheels Sporting Goods in my town had it. I watched this gun sit on the shelf all last summer, I think it priced at just under $700. Well when I bought it in Dec., Scheels was just about ready to move in to a new building so alot of their guns were priced way down. Ended up getting it for $430. It's the SPS, black finish with the black XCR stock, floor plate says "375 H&H, 1 of 500". Haven't spent any time at the range since I put a scope on it but hope it shoots decent, because Remington barrel contour on these are pretty light. Any way, it gets me into a 375!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lots of Winchester 70s in PF configuration have been used successfully for a lot of years for DG and by DG (bear) guides. Admittedly, the Classics were a big hit when they came out but PF was not a distinction between Remington, Winchester, and Ruger for lots of years. If you wanted CRF, you needed to buy a Mauser based design or get a pre-64 M70.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back years ago the conventional wisdom was that you built 375's out of gobs of steel and wood to attenuate recoil from 300 gr bullets.Who wanted to lug a 10 pound 375 H&H in elk country?

But I(among others)discovered back in the 80's that you could build a 375H&H with a lighter barrel contour and Brown Precision stock that weighed about 8.25 pounds scoped, feed it high quality 250 gr bullets at over 2900 fps,without it killing you.Such a combo invades on the province of the 338WM,shoots flat as a 270 to 400 yards,and provides antelope to Brown Bear versatility.Even going to 300 gr bullets is manageable.(Friends even built such rifles in 375AI for more velocity,but recoil got grim.)

That's even truer today with things like 235 gr X bullets and 250 gr Aframes or Northforks,factory rifles like the lighter Remingtons and Ruger's(375 Ruger),and sort of renders other cartridges between 30 and 375 to "so what" status.

No reason not to use such a rifle,properly scoped, as your "all-round" choice over here.Elk on the far side of a canyon will be impressed.I'd still want it built on a good CRF action,but the choice is personal.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/30/09.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My current 375 is a T/C encore. It has a 26" barrel,Limbsaver buttstock,weaver grand slam 1.5x5 and weighs right at 7lbs 11 0z. all up. I prefer the single shot over the bolts as I know I only get one chance and tend to hit what I am aiming at. It shoots 260 gr. NP 1moa regularly. Though it sees more Elk hunting than anything else I would not hesitate to hunt DG with it.I would want someone backing me up with DG anyway.
For lion I would want another shot available. I would choose a rem 700 or rebarrel my 340 Mcmillan (700 action)I have owned that rifle for some time and have never had a problem of any kind.I would bet my life on it.
the old push feed vs. controled feed is something I just do not see enough evidence to find any reason to change.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I paraphrase from renowned author, PH, former editor of African Hunter Magazine and head examiner for PH qualifications in Zimbabwe, the "gold standard" of PH licensing:

"The Remington 700 may be a very fine hunting rifle. I don't know because I've never used one, but I do know that it is a poor dangerous game rifle, particularly in 416 Remington caliber. Apart from the odd inexplicable misfire, a broken extractor cost us an elephant wounded and lost at Rifa (the hunting area where the yearly exams are conducted) one year, and this is not the first year that I'd seen a broken extractor on a 700. In addition they are about the hardest rifle to reload in a hurry. My memories of this rifle are typically of youngsters frantically trying to thrust cartridges into the magazine, only to have a double feed,the rounds pop straight back out or other problems. The impartial "Pro-Shot" timer, tells me a two round reload takes, on average, twice as long with the model 700 as it does with just about any other make of rifle. I do not know that anything can be done with the Remingtons except to re-barrel them to a plainsgame cartridge and leave them at home when out after the dangerous game stuff.

That's from a consummate professional. I believe I'll take him at his word. Oh his favorite? M98s or clones of course! jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow this will never be settled, I think we can appreciate all the opinions though. As an owner of remingtons I do appreciate them. I am also a fan of Model 70 pushfeeds,(don't own one at present) they are nice rifles too, XTR's being my favorites. Also was an owner of the 1 of 500 DGR Remmy's. It was accurate! Feed and function would be paramount in a dangerous game rifle, I believe this is what I would be concerned about more so than the pushfeed , controlled round feed debate. As far as fail to fire, well a Kimber I once had was the worst about that than any other rifle I've had (controlled round feed). I have never hunted dangerous game so you can discount (if ya want) what I have said. In the area I am in I have seen a few guys getting ready for Africa, Alaska and such. Most of them seemed to be pretty nice fellas, talkative and such, but really knew very little about thier rifles other than they went bang. If I go to Alaska (plan on it) I will be pushing the envelope, I will be carrying a CDL chambered in 35 Whelen. A pushfeed in a caliber that some think is underpowered. I'll never make it out alive......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*shudder*.....and rimless, beltless, as well as virtually shoulderless to boot.....hope it ain't painful wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot DT ammo in my pistols also, the 10mm ammo is just like the 10 should be, not watered down!!!
Oh cool! I will have to give their 10mm ammo a whirl. I like hot 10mms.

Kevin Haile
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To each his own, I wouldn't argue about push feed vs. control feed but for myself I will never use a push feed for big game hunting. What others do is their business.

H
H
As I have read many push feed vs. control feed debates, I see opinions very greatly. I for one am 100% confident in the 700 action as I am with the Mauser action. Neither action have a perfect track record, both have failed at one time or another. Law Enforcement and the Military have used and still use the 700 action in life or death situations against the 2 legged creaturs all the time. This is not much different then hunting the 4 legged kind with nasty teeth and claws, only the 2 legged can get you at longer distances. The end result may be the same if you mess up or fail, or your equipment fails. No man made mechanical device is 100% reliable, either could fail. If you look closely at the Mauser action and follow the round as you push the bolt foward, you can see that even the Mauser action doesn't grab the round until late in feeding process, it still pushes it most the way. The Claw extractor I do believe is stronger, however, I have never had a problem with any of my push feed type bolts. Just my extra .02 Again to each their own, whatever your comfortable with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Klik, like the tagline, now I know why most things I do are an adventure! laugh

H
H
Hey Raybass,

I have been looking at the 35 Whelen, I saw an article in Gun World this months issue I think, about them getting 338 win mag velosities out of the 35 Whelen. That cartridge looks like a good one. Have you had much time to shoot yours? If so, how do you like it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunter, I'll have to catch that article. I've shot mine a pretty good bit, they are excellent rifles. Recoil is not bad, you can get 2700 pretty easy with a 225TSX and they feed good. My rifle has been changed a little bit but basically stock. Bedded , floated and a trigger job. Changed the recoil pad to a pachmyer due to a sticky limbsaver. The rifle shoots 200 gr, 225gr and 250 gr equally well. Its not bad with Remington factory loads either. I've only used mine elk hunting and have only taken one with it. It was an eye opener, a little over three hundred yards, a 225 gr tsx dropped the elk in his tracks. I shoulder shot him , broke both shoulders and the bullet ended up in the skin on the offside.

It kills elk like a 270 winchester kills deer or better. Not alot of hunting experience but alot at the range. I haven't chronied 200 gr bullets yet but 225's from the high 2600 fps to 2730 fps and 250's from 2500 fps to 2600 fps depending on the load. It seems to like em run fast. No fail to feed, no fail to fire with it. The bolt is slick enough now that when feeding from the magazine you can barely tell a round went in. There are quite a few guys on here that have alot more experience than I do, I think you will get the same kind of answers from them.

Almost forgot........I really like the rifle.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Funny... I've met several PH's who use pushfeed rifles. The last guy I hunted with in Tanzania last month has a pushfeed .458 Win and said he wouldn't own a Mauser actioned rifle. He's used this rifle for over twenty years, and once owned a gun shop in Capetown. So not everyone agrees with you, particularly some of those who are out there in it every day.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The British Enfield is a push feed battle rifle, which served very reliably for almost 100 years. It is noted for its rapid aimed fire capabilities.

Winchester launched there post-1964 Model 70 with an extensive testing in Africa, and played it up in their 1964 catalog. Hunters and their guides did not stop buying the push-feed Model 70s. Thousands were used on the Big Five.

Some other notably successful push feed .375 and larger rifles:
Sako AV
Steyr Model S
Blaser
Sauer 90 and 202

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
grantimusmaximus,
You are the man! You got it at less than dealers cost!
I picked one up myself. I had always wanted a 375 H&H Magnum, but could never afford one. I had my eye out for a used Browning Safari made with the Belgian FN mauser action.
However I realized that after hunting with my Remington 700 for over 19 years in 35 Whelen it has never malfuntioned, I thought why not another one (for my son) so I bought it for him! wink
I am testing it for him this year and shot a huge porcupine.
Very satisfying. It will make a nice rainy day bear rifle!
I think Remington has gotten the hang of making 700's by now!
whelennut

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey, it's always good to have one for rainy Alaska and a nice one for sunny Africa, right?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
You have a 700 375 HH? Proof:
[Linked Image]

Would like to see ANY M70 you have in 375.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beechdrvr

Funny... I've met several PH's who use pushfeed rifles. The last guy I hunted with in Tanzania last month has a pushfeed .458 Win and said he wouldn't own a Mauser actioned rifle. He's used this rifle for over twenty years, and once owned a gun shop in Capetown. So not everyone agrees with you, particularly some of those who are out there in it every day.

Funny, read this:
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I paraphrase from renowned author, PH, former editor of African Hunter Magazine and head examiner for PH qualifications in Zimbabwe, the "gold standard" of PH licensing:

"The Remington 700 may be a very fine hunting rifle. I don't know because I've never used one, but I do know that it is a poor dangerous game rifle, particularly in 416 Remington caliber. Apart from the odd inexplicable misfire, a broken extractor cost us an elephant wounded and lost at Rifa (the hunting area where the yearly exams are conducted) one year, and this is not the first year that I'd seen a broken extractor on a 700. In addition they are about the hardest rifle to reload in a hurry. My memories of this rifle are typically of youngsters frantically trying to thrust cartridges into the magazine, only to have a double feed,the rounds pop straight back out or other problems. The impartial "Pro-Shot" timer, tells me a two round reload takes, on average, twice as long with the model 700 as it does with just about any other make of rifle. I do not know that anything can be done with the Remingtons except to re-barrel them to a plainsgame cartridge and leave them at home when out after the dangerous game stuff.

That's from a consummate professional. I believe I'll take him at his word. Oh his favorite? M98s or clones of course! jorge

And if you look at the surveys on both of Boddington's African Rifles books, you'll see PH's preference for CRF is quite overwhelming. jorge

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A double rifle is always nice too! wink
whelennut

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$10,000 minimum for a double keeps many of us from enjoying our wish list. $2500 for a decent DGR bolt ready to tango leaves an extra 7500 bucks for the hunt. That does not keep me from dreaming.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Had the rifle for nearly a year and half and finally got around to getting it out to shoot....CAS does it right!~ Sighted it in this morning and this was after lunch. 3-shot group at 100yrds (~.5). Oh, I didn't like the mcswily so I sent it back to McMillan for a do-over...Greg. Forgot it is a DG nor SPS - - finally looked at the manual.

[Linked Image]

Finally got around to getting it out....

[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 09/12/09.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
To me Weatherby = Africa even though it is a pushfeed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since I have one in college and the other starts next fall I won't be going to Africa soon.
I did go there 20 years ago and a Cape Buffalo hunt not including airfare or lodging was $7,500.
This hunt was being marketed as a good deal for a business man on a business trip who was already in South Africa and just wanted to break up the monotony with a quick 5 day buffalo hunt.
I haven't checked on prices in 20 years but my feeling is if you can't afford a double rifle then you won't be able to pony up for the hunting trip either. JMHO
For North America I think the Remington 700 is just fine because if you are out of state you will have a guide with you for brown bear anyhow.
whelennut

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
PS,
I went bear hunting for four days and the bolt handle never fell off once although the Uncle Mikes scope caps are out in the forest somewhere.
whelennut wink

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
Proof that the bolt handles are still in place on the 35 Whelen and 375 H&H Magnum.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
After a rigorous weekend of bear hunting the bolt handle is still hanging in there. Good investment for $549.00
10 hrs of rain and no rust.
whelennut

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
After four more days of looking for Mr. Big I saw this bandit sneaking some of my raspberry filling. I didn't lug that 40lb pail into the woods a mile from the nearest road just so he could help himself.
By the way take a look at the bolt handle, still in place after all this time! whistle
whelennut

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would not use any big bore DGR in a pushfeed. I have seen cartridges fall out of them and had that happen to me on one ocassion as I tried to manipulate the action at a run to catch a herd of Cape Buffalo..

In our African camps, I have seen extractors break on Remington 700s, and it is well known that this has happened on more than a few ocassion. bolts break off because they are soldered on, I have seen them jam on many ocassions and that has been accredited to operational error, mostly from working the action too slow, so what? it still happened. I had a bolt handle break off of my Rem 722, when I hit it lightly with a hammer on a stuck case, and have seen that happen with a Rem 700 in 30-06 when a plainsgame broke the bolt handle off with the palm of his hand...

We are all products of our experiences thus my choice of the Custom Mauser first and foremost, followed by the pre 64 M-70 Win. not counting my double rifles.

I am not saying that the Mauser or Win cannot fail as anything made by man can fail, but the Mauser has never failed on me, nor have I witnessed a failure with a Mauser, and the M-70 only once in a long lifetime of hunting. I do believe all rifles should be tweeked and all mine are tweeked and tested throughly before being hunted with, at least most of time and always on DG. Rem failures have all been due to poor design IMO...

To each his own and what someone else uses is none of my business, just stating my choices and my reasons for those choices to address the original posters question.

Last edited by atkinson; 09/29/09.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The BDL and Classic changed style of rear sights over the years.
Now the XCR has a new blade that looks like a pistol sight.

For those of you who own a Model 700 in .375 H&H, are you using the factory iron sights, or did you replaced them with something else?

If you replaced them, did it require gunsmithing, or just bolt on, and how are they working out?

I like the balance and slim forend of the XCR, but the stock is a bit too straight for using the iron sights. I might have to put on a laminated wood stock with some drop on the butt.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yeah they kill like anything else!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got my new SPS DG! I can't wait to try it out. I also bought my Dad one just because he is the best man I know!! I'll let you know how they do! I would put a pic on here but I don't know how!!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 700 Rem SPS-DG in .375 H&H last spring because it was nib for $520. I am pleased, though I've not shot it yet. If the bolt falls off or I have problems with extracting or reloading, I will post. I've been shooting bolt rifles for 40 yrs and and lots were Rems. I have yet to have a bolt fall off. In fact, any problems that I've experienced, were of my own making. I still have lots of bolts with several Howa's/Vanguards now, and no problems with any of them. I know, there is not much DG in KS, but like someone posted, every needs at least on .375. Life is good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just finished setting my SPS DG up for this seasons deer hunting. I installed a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33 set in leupold Rifleman rings and bases. I'm going to shoot Speer 235s @ 2650 fps. I'll report how it does. I still cant figure out how to put up pictures....GRRRRR!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Hope this worked!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Holy cow! It worked. Here are a couple more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by croldfort
I bought a 700 Rem SPS-DG in .375 H&H last spring because it was nib for $520. I am pleased, though I've not shot it yet. If the bolt falls off or I have problems with extracting or reloading, I will post. I've been shooting bolt rifles for 40 yrs and and lots were Rems. I have yet to have a bolt fall off. In fact, any problems that I've experienced, were of my own making. I still have lots of bolts with several Howa's/Vanguards now, and no problems with any of them. I know, there is not much DG in KS, but like someone posted, every needs at least on .375. Life is good.

Good post...... I think the very few issues out there get too much press. Every single rifle model ever made has had some sort of problem, and probably at the exact time it was least expected. sh*t happens. Most of us dont have the $$ for high ticket or custom guns, so we buy basic reliable bolt action guns. If Rems are soooo bad as some here have posted, then why is the model 700 still one of the most succesful guns of all time? They are good guns, they work, no problem. I have been tempted to get a 375 stainless remington, just cant scrape up the $$

No matter what gun you have, good luck to all this hunting season.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am bringing a bolt handle welding jig and some silver solder and a small torch in my daypack just in case.
I will also have several knives in case one breaks.
Also a short barreled Model 29, and a 500 S&W as a backup for the Model 29.
If all else fails I can jump out of the tree and submit them with a rear naked choke like I saw on UFC. wink
whelennut

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it's hard to belive that the 375 h&h with it's tapper would stick in any chamber.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't mean to 'jack the thread, but has anyone had experience with the XS sight that functions as both a rear base (Weaver style) and has a peep built-in?

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

Looking for ideas for my custom 700 in 375 H&H. Would like to get the longest possible sight radius, and get the rear sight close to my tiring eyes!

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Lee24
The British Enfield is a push feed battle rifle, which served very reliably for almost 100 years. It is noted for its rapid aimed fire capabilities.

Winchester launched there post-1964 Model 70 with an extensive testing in Africa, and played it up in their 1964 catalog. Hunters and their guides did not stop buying the push-feed Model 70s. Thousands were used on the Big Five.

Some other notably successful push feed .375 and larger rifles:
Sako AV
Steyr Model S
Blaser
Sauer 90 and 202

Amen. Also Weatherby Mark V's (somebody else in this thread made this observation, too). If Roy's Mark V .460 Weatherby is an inherently inferior DGR because of it, why hasn't anyone every heard about it? As an aside, renowned PH Gerard Miller uses s Mark V in .460.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have one of these critters! Bought it about 5-6 months ago with a standard SPS in 270Win. I have used the 270 a bit and it is a nice rifle. I haven't hunted with it, just running the Bbl in at this stage. Too hot to hunt here at the moment.

I finally got the 375 to the range today and was busy as Range Officer with a few beginners. Crowd thinned out after lunch and I fiddled with an old 32WCF 1892 for awhile with no success and then pulled the big un' out.

I fired 5 shots, cleaning before shooting and between each of the five shots. (I always run Bbls in by cleaning between the first 5 shots with bronze bristle brush wet with Sweet's, let soak for 5-10 mins, dry patch out until clean,Wet patch with Hoppe's No9, soak for a few minutes, then dry patches until clean. Shots 6-15 I clean between groups of three shots, as above, then every after every 5 shots until 50 shots are reached. I noticed that the Bbl was a tad easier to clean on the forth and fifth shots.)

I was just snapping the shots off at a 50 Yard target from the offhand position over the (reasonably strange) factory iron sights. Boy this nasty little black number really gets your attention when you shoot it! Watch where you place your thumb or it will end up your nose!

I was using Federal Grey box 270Gn factory ammo (power shock I think they call it). My mate fired one shot and called it that he pulled to the left.

When I was packing up, I noticed that the four shots were in a group about 2.5" with my mate's called shot to the left of the group about 2" away. About as good as I would normally get with anything, snap shooting offhand.

I am very pleased. The only criticism that I have of the rifle is the rubber grip panels seem a little sharp on the edges (I must admit, I didn't notice this while shooting). I had planned to trim the corners using a leather edge trimmer, but held off, not wanting to Bubba it!

The rifle feels like a normal sporter, but with a bit more barrel heft. When I get her run in and free up some cases, I will fit the scope and start shooting some 200, 250 and 300 yeard groups. This will be a good carry rifle, just be careful shooting it.

Mine will be seeing a lot of lead, I have 2 moulds, 3,000 gaschecks and 500 commercial cast bullets downstairs.

Looking forward to it, always wanted a 375H&H. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

The DG i sthe unscoped one, the scoped rifle is teh 270 with a cheapo Simmons 3-9x package deal scope, which is amazingly clear! It will end up on my 30/30 Marlin 336.

[Linked Image]

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, if they just made it in 338WM as well!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
this was an old thread...kinda funny to re-read...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Rem700 Classic .375 years ago, loaded 300gr Hornady BTSP's and killed a pile of bear and elk with it. You will love the chambering, I used it in heavy timber so most shots were in close. It flat crushed them!

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Everyone knows, things that bite and things that stomp and trample, will bite, stomp and trample anyone shooting other than a controlled feed rifle... wink

Wonder how Roy Weatherby got around that...? shocked

DF

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I just realised that even though the rifle kicked and bucked like mad, the recoil pad (and probably the stock) soaked up the recoil amazingly well. It didn't hurt my shoulder at all and I remember thinking about that later in the day. I also noticed that I had absolutely no bruising on my shoulder. This is a bit of a problem with me as I have been on blood thinning medication for several years and will bruise up easily. This doesn't bother me much (my Mum says, 'Old age is not for sissies!) and as they say, 'suck it up Princess.'

The rifle will kick up and punch you in the nose if you are not careful and graze your fingers if you are not holding it properly, but is easy on the shoulder. Modern 'rubber' Sorbathane or similar products are really amazing and they work.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/08/12. Reason: typo

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Everyone knows, things that bite and things that stomp and trample, will bite, stomp and trample anyone shooting other than a controlled feed rifle... wink

DF

I am a bit ambivalent about CRF, but having now seen not a few M700 extractors fail, i am not sure that the M700 would be the push-feed system i would choose for a DGR.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I am a bit ambivalent about CRF, but having now seen not a few M700 extractors fail, i am not sure that the M700 would be the push-feed system i would choose for a DGR.

Not being one that likes to be bitten, stomped or trampled, my DG rifle is a model 70. I've never been DG hunting, but a man needs to be prepared... cool

I have some Remingtons, just not that many. CRF notwithstanding, I like those three position safeties and lean more toward Kimbers, an Ed Brown Damara, an Alpha Alaskan and several M-70's.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have magnum 700s that have are on their third barrels, but original extractors. i have a couple of spare extractors, but have never had one fail.

the M70s in .375 are too heavy IMO.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I think the bad press with failed 700 extractors came from extreme military usage in a hostile, every day dirty and squillions of rounds fired sort of environment.

I have a 700 in 300WM that is just about plumb wore out and it has the origianl extractor, the jewelling is worn off the bolt,the blue is mostly worn through on most of the rifle, the paint is pretty much gone of the mag floorplate, etc, but the extractor is original and in good condition.

If I was a sniper and was practicing on a daily basis and had to rely on it in life and death type scenarios, I would upgrade it, likewise if I was really hunting dangerous game. But, if I was really hunting dangerous game and not just pretending to smile I would probably go to CRF.

In the meantime, I will stick to one of the most accurate, reliable and graceful rifles on the market, the Remington 700!

Remington 700s are plentiful in Australia and I have never heard of anyone upgrading the extractor. A guy in Victoria offers this service, but I have never actually met anyone who has had it done. I don't think I will bother at this stage. Maybe when I wear out the first barrel on my SPS Tactical 308. The SPS Range is fondly referred to in Australia as the S&!T Plastic Stock model, laugh

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/08/12. Reason: Can't leave well enough alone :(

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, the SPS stock stinks. but the XCR II stock is about the same stock, just a different color and grippy panels. my .375 RUM was a SS SPS. i cut the 26" barrel back to 23" and put it into an Alaskan Ti II stock.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Went to the range yesterday and ran another four, three shot groups through it. I swapped every other round between the 375 and my other SPS in 270W and fired four five shot groups out if it (I am running the barrels in and the 270 is a bot further down the track).

Point is, I wasn't overly impressed with the stocks initially, but they sure do soak up the recoil.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
have you weighed your .375?

the XCR II in .375 RUM weighs 6# 10 oz. bare. i'd assume the SPS DG is the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .375 RUM was bedded into a Rem700 Mountain rifle stock, Sako extractor and Vais muzzle brake. Light, slim and pleasure to shoot with the 260 Accubonds. Tipped yotes over with authority. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 01/09/12.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Smack, 26" factory tube?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LOL at the coyote... did it 'overpenetrate'?

how fast are you pushing those 260 gr. Accubonds? IIRC i'm getting right at 3K fps from 24" barrel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
26" factory barrel, 260 Accubonds at 3050, 102 gr IMR7828 Fed215M. The rifle shoots lights out with that load so I left it be. First 3 shot group at 100 yards went ironically enough .375 center to center, no joke. Made me smirk!

Oh yes, it penatrated rather well. That coyote was shot at 375 yards, give or take a few, funny story. It was getting late in the day, I was hunting mule deer. I was about ready to pack it up for the hike out. When along came Mr. Yote, so I jammed him in the dirt, the sound of that shot made a Mulie buck stand from his bed further to my right. Ranged him at 560 and jammed him in the dirt. I didn't recover the bullet from the yote, but his heart was completely gone, I did recover the 260 Accubond from the Mulie , hit him facing me head on in the center of the chest. I found the bullet just under the hide on the belly ahead of the pelvic bone.

The heartless yote, exit side(260gr Accubond)

[Linked Image]

Here's the Mulie I shot just after the Yote.

[Linked Image]

The 260gr Accubond as I found it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The recovered bullet cleaned up.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 01/09/12.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by toad
have you weighed your .375?

the XCR II in .375 RUM weighs 6# 10 oz. bare. i'd assume the SPS DG is the same.

I weighed my on the digital kitchen scales, 7Lbs! Bit light for a 375H&H, thats why it's so lively!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I was going to say earlier SMACK, that is pretty impressive performance, long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy away!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FourFingers,

I see that the floorplate latch button on your 375 is small and looks smooth. Did you modify it, or is it factory?

I had a couple Rem 700 BDL/SS in 375. There were made well before the SPS. Every time I fired it the serrated floorplate latch button ground another chunk of flesh from my trigger finger. I had to grind a lot of it off to prevent that. I wanted a 375 for a long time. After owning and shooting the Rem 700 for a while (and a Ruger #1) it didn't take me long to realize that I really didn't want a 375 after all. I think it was responsible for the case of the flinchies that I have yet today.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
[Linked Image]

Nope, mine is completely as per out of the box, I haven't changed anything. I haven't noticed any problem grazing my finger, but when I grip the rifle, my right index finger is about 3/16" from the bolt knob. I keep an absolute death grip on it as the bolt rakes my finger above the knuckle if I am not 100% careful.

I have wanted a 375H&H since I was a teenager (I'm 63 now!). I am glad I bought it, but boy it is a handful! I might weight the stock and see how it goes. The shoulder whack is ok, thanks to the R3/Limbsaver or whatever it is, but the rifle bucks and bellers and bites anything like fingers, etc that gets in the way, lol.

That bolt knob is way out of proportion, being closer to the camera than the trigger guard, but it seems to be that big in recoil ans is hard for me to avoid.
Once I free up enough cases, I will try some lighter bullets (currently using Fed Power Whatevers in 270Gn, serious medicine. I wil also be shooting a lot of cast in her.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/11/12.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
Here is my Remington 700 SPS with the 1-4X Leupold scope.
It hasn't had any parts fall off that I can tell. grin
So far it has killed a raccoon, a few prairie dogs, and three whitetail deer.
I'm waiting to win the lottery so I can take it to Alaska where it belongs.
whelennut

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

Nope, mine is completely as per out of the box, I haven't changed anything. I haven't noticed any problem grazing my finger, but when I grip the rifle, my right index finger is about 3/16" from the bolt knob. I keep an absolute death grip on it as the bolt rakes my finger above the knuckle if I am not 100% careful. [/quote]

Sorry, lost the link in previous post and now unable to edit. New pic:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As you can see, bog stock.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.